Status: A Work In Progress

Identical

Reactivity

On the way to the mall, Caleb pointed out his school. Scarborough High School was located in a high-class, suburbia-part of town. Caleb guessed that the amount of students was somewhere around one thousand, which was a third of the high school I attended in Denver.

“Do you like it there?” I asked Caleb as he drove around the parking lot.

He responded nonchalantly. “Well, it’s alright, I guess. Who does like high school though?” I liked high school. I loved every part about it. But perhaps, I was biased. Caroline dreaded school. I always loved the gossip floating around every corner. There was hardly a dull moment, especially when I was involved. I admired the way that everyone knew where they belonged, and stayed there. Caroline and I were accepted, without hesitation, into the popular group. We had the best clothes, the cutest hair, only the most current of fashions. Our parents would fly us to Paris for fashion week; we would take weekend trips to fly to New York to go shopping. When we returned from our expensive trips with new wardrobes, we were the center of attention all over again. The latest gossip was set aside to focus on us.

Caroline and I had the most fun together, basking in the socialite lives we were destined to live. Occasionally, people would try to spread gossip about us, but it never succeeded. Too many people adored us! Whoever started the rumor would be shunned, because how could you speak badly about the Sommers Sisters? You simply couldn’t. Despite the fact that Caroline and I were so popular, we were never truly unkind to anyone.

Oh my goodness, I cannot even lie to myself, I thought, hiding a grin beneath my hand. Okay, I admit, Caroline and I could be mean, but we tried to refrain from our ruthlessness unless it was absolutely necessary. I mean, how could you survive Popularity, while dealing with the Kelsey Ackermans of the world, if you didn’t get your hands dirty occasionally? You simply couldn’t.

Truthfully, Caroline always was the more accepting twin. While I sometimes had reservations about allowing a new person to hang out with us, Caroline welcomed them with open arms. Caroline was a bit too nice.

When we were about twelve years old, we lead the worship music for our church. Singing was fun, especially in front of a large audience; it just wasn’t something that Caden Sommers would do. But Caroline actually wanted to do it and enjoyed it.

Another time, when we were about fourteen, a new girl moved into the neighborhood. Our mother made us invite her over for a sleepover. I behaved cordially during the sleepover; I straightened her hair and painted her nails like the little angel I liked to imagine I was. Caroline got a little carried away and went as far as to invite the girl to sit with us at lunch the following week, when she’d start attending Denver High.

Being nice to the girl was one thing, but allowing her to join our table? Unacceptable, I deemed it. At the beginning of that school day, the day when New Girl was sitting at our table, my table, I convinced some of my guy friends to pull a prank. This prank was one that the new girl would never forget. She didn’t speak to us after that, and thankfully, I didn’t have to worry about an unwelcome guest ever approaching our table again.

“Caden,” a voice caused my mind to surface from the memory.

“Yes?” I asked, looking over at a concerned Caleb.

“Did you hear a thing I said?” Oops.

“Yeah, of course, I was just looking out the window,” I lied.

“Liar.” I like this kid. He was honest and blunt, simple and straightforward.

“Okay, you got me. What did you say?” I asked. Caleb maneuvered our car into a parking space close to the entrance of a very large mall. There was a circle of restaurants, located along the perimeter of a multiple-stories-high building. The mall was made of glass, a nice attribute to have in such a scenic area. The mall was surrounded by woods on nearly all sides. The sky was gray, as always.

“I was saying that I believe a few people from school are here today. You want to meet up with them? We don’t have to, if you don’t want to, but I can’t guarantee we won’t run into them.” I looked at Caleb and tried to imagine the type of crowd he hung out with. Caleb was really attractive – not my type in the first place, but he was also my cousin so anything other than that would be gross – so I couldn’t imagine he was a geek, but he also wasn’t polished or preppy, despite where he lived, so I doubted he was a Popular. I tried to recall whether or not Caleb played a sport, to no avail.

Well, let’s take a risk. “Sure, we can meet up with them.” I looked at the ground as we walked to the entrance and prayed to God that I wouldn’t have to spend a whole day with the Scarborough High Chess Club.

“Cool.” He paused. “I know you’re not used to this and all, but you can’t embarrass me. If you don’t know what we’re talking about, just smile and nod. Oh, and remember you can’t be weird around them.” He looked me straight in the eye and waited for a reaction.

“I don’t know who you think-” I began.

“I’m joking with you. Just be yourself.” He replied.

“I bet that’s real easy to say if you know who you are,” I mumbled. Caleb gave me a funny look, and I knew he heard my comment.

I looked back at the ground. He didn’t respond.

We walked through the restaurants’ area, bypassing regular mall-food places and also upscale restaurants I doubted a small town such as Scarborough would even be knowledgeable of. Caleb glanced down at his iPhone. “Alright, the crew’s in Starbucks. Is there any information you want me to omit when I introduce you?” Caleb asked suddenly.

I thought it was quite kind of him to consider that. “Just introduce me as Caden, your cousin from Denver. Tell them I’ve moved in with you and Grandfather. If they ask why, they can ask me. I’ll figure out what to say, in that case.”

Caleb nodded thoughtfully and held the tall glass door open for me. We walked into the mall and I was politely surprised. There were at least four stories accompanied with openings on each story so that I could see the skylights in the ceiling from the first level. I was so excited to explore the mall.

In a way, it was a lucky coincidence that Caleb’s friends were here. If I wanted to go off by myself to shop, I could always meet him somewhere later. I told him of this scenario, and he agreed that it was a good possibility and a nice option to have. “You’ve got my phone number, right?” He asked and I nodded.

We walked past many stores that I eyed enviously, anxious to shop. Eventually we rounded a corner and approached a large Starbucks with a sitting area. Caleb led me to a small table with two boys and a girl sitting with drinks.

I instantly noticed the girl. She had short blond hair, styled like a neat pixie cut. Her makeup was applied dramatically, and she wore the cutest clothes. She had a black lace crop-top on with an unbuttoned pink cardigan. She also wore dark blue skinny jeans with gold and mint-blue sandals. Her accessories included a pair of expensive-looking black Wayfarers and a long gold necklace with some unrecognizable charm. Pixie girl was about my height and weight, so, pretty tall and pretty thin.

The boys sitting next to her were dressed stylishly too, with sun-bleached t-shirts and dark jeans. They were cute, but I was more excited that there was another girl here. Pixie girl jumped up from her seat to hug me. I returned the hug cheerfully, ignoring the way that Caleb’s eyes widened at the action. She stepped back and grinned brightly, displaying straight, white teeth. Her clear blue eyes nearly outshone her sparkling smile.

“My name is Gwyneth, as in the movie star.” She held out her and I grasped it lightly.

“My name is Caden, and I think we’ll be fast friends,” I told her honestly. “I love your outfit. Perfect for this bipolar weather we’re having.” If possible, her face lit up even more.

Someone cleared their throat. “Alright-y then, no need to hog the new girl, Gwyn,” somebody commented. I turned to the speaker.

The two boys looked at me, while Caleb and Gwyn watched them. “I’m Austin,” the boy with blond hair and blue eyes said. The other boy, with brown hair and blue eyes spoke up next. “My name is Tyler.” Introductions with the boys were a little awkward, due to the fact that they watched me intently, as if looking for suspicious behavior. I responded to them; “Caden.”

Caleb and I pulled up two chairs from nearby tables, and we sat with Gwyn, and the boys. “So what brings you here, Caden?” Gwyn asked me.

“I’m from Denver, and I’ve moved out here for junior year,” I answered honestly. Austin picked up on the fact that I omitted why I’d moved out here. “Is there a reason?” He asked.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Caleb’s hands clench slightly. He knew the story, but that didn’t mean I wanted everyone to. “Um, I wanted a change of scenery. My parents are vacationing and I’d never met my Grandfather or Caleb before, so I came here.”

“Cool, so how long are you staying?” Tyler spoke up. He gave me a knowing look, as if he knew I had evaded Austin’s question. My eyebrows scrunched up slightly.

“Indefinitely...”

“So, what brings you all to the mall?” Caleb asked the trio casually. God bless him, for taking the focus off of me.

Austin glanced at Tyler and Gwyn. “We just thought we’d hang out here, catch up and stuff. We were going to invite you, but we knew you had family visiting,” Austin grinned. “We just never imagined that your ‘dreary’ cousin would be this striking.” He winked at me, and I felt my face flush slightly, even though I would never date somebody like Austin. He reminded me too much of myself, and there was only so much of me that I could handle.

I nabbed the attention again, this time purposefully. “Well, since my move was of such short-notice, I didn’t have time to pack all of my clothes. So instead, my parents gave me money to spend on a new wardrobe. Caleb kindly drove me here so that I could shop. Honestly, I felt bad, dragging him here only so that he could follow me around as I spent money, but since you’re both here, maybe Gwyn and I could go around and shop?” I prompted, giving Gwyn a pleading look.

“Well, duh! I mean, these guys,” she made a hand motion towards Austin and Tyler, “are great, but shopping with another girl? That beats talking about guitars and sci-fi movies, hands-down!” I laughed and smiled.

“Sure, you guys have fun,” Tyler said as Gwyn gathered her bag and coffee cup.

“We will,” Gwyn and I grinned maniacally.

* * *

“What time is it?” Gwyn asked. I glanced at the time and showed her the clock on my iPhone. “We’ve been shopping for five whole hours? It’s already 2:00?” She asked incredulously.

“Totally. It looks like it too,” I commented, referring to the innumerable amount of bags we carried from countless stores. I somehow managed to carry all of my purchases by placing some of the smaller bags into the larger ones. Gwyn had bought some of her own stuff too.

Even though I’d only just met Gwyn, we were really well-matched with our personalities. We were both only willing to buy the latest fashions and prices didn’t matter to us. Gwyn was really nice and, like me, she was also really honest. If she didn’t like a skirt I tried on, she’d tell me so, just as I did for her.

We left the designer store we’d been shopping in and decided to go somewhere for lunch. I found Caleb’s contact in my phone and dialed his cell number. “Hello?” He answered.

“Hi, Caleb... Gwyn and I are getting hungry. Have you and the others already eaten?” I asked.

“Good God, woman, we were about to send a search-and-rescue party out for you. We doubted whether or not we’d ever find you all alive!” He commented smartly.

Gwyn heard his comment through the phone’s speakers, and we laughed together. “We actually were about to go eat at California Pizza,” Caleb said.

“We’ll meet you there,” I replied and hung up.

“I’m really glad I got to meet you, Caden. Are you coming to school next week?” She asked. Oh, yeah. I’d totally forgotten about the fact that school was already in session. I’d been at the Sommers mansion for three whole days, but Caleb hadn’t gone to school for any of them. Maybe Grandfather made an exception due to my arrival.

“Uh, yeah, I guess. I hadn’t really thought about it. Back in Denver, I went to a prep school, and we weren’t starting the year until September 1st.” Gwyn nodded thoughtfully.

“Were you popular, at your old school?” She asked. I hesitated for a moment. Should I lie, I wondered thoughtfully. I didn’t want Gwyn to think I was stuck up.

“Well, truthfully, yes. I was. But I don’t know if I want to be, anymore.” The words that flowed out of my mouth shocked even me. Didn’t I want to be popular? I’d never really thought about it before. Why would I change myself? I loved who I was. I thought I’d always be the way that I was. But really, half of my identity was buried in the ground with my twin sister.

“I know what you mean. How about you and I focus on being real? I don’t want to pretend to be anybody else. Today, while we were shopping, I was completely myself, and I had a great time. So I think that’s who I’m going to focus on being.” Gwyn commented thoughtfully.

I completely agreed with Gwyn. Being popular had rewards, but who was I, to be the new girl, and feel entitled to be in the popular group? What if I was treated exactly the way that I once treated the new girl at my school? Surely there was a girl like me, in Scarborough.

“Honestly, being popular can be a lot of fun, but for now, I think I’m content with where I am.”

During lunch, Gwyn and the three boys were filling me in about Scarborough High. “We have a great sports program. Do you play any?” Austin asked curiously.

“Yeah, actually, I’ve done all sorts of sports. My favorite sport is swimming, but I’ve done soccer, cheerleading, softball, dance, golf, and tennis. I like to stay busy,” I told them. Gwyn gaped at me. “The only sport I’ve ever done is cheerleading.” She commented.

“Are you going to try out for any teams, Caden?” Caleb asked.

“Definitely. I’ll probably go out for cheerleading and swim, if possible. I have enough experience, so maybe the coach will let me try out late. I was head cheerleader of the varsity cheer squad in Denver, and captain of the varsity swim team.”

Gwyn smiled brightly as she cut up pieces of her salad. “I’m trying out for the cheer team too! Tryouts are actually this week. I don’t know about the swim team, but I’m sure they’ll let you on, even if they’ve already gotten their team rosters.”

I nodded as I bit into a slice of cheese pizza.

When we had finished eating, Gwyn and I exchanged phone numbers. Austin made a joke about getting my number. I dismissed it with a laugh.

We parted ways outside of California Pizza, and Caleb and I drove home amid comfortable chit chat.

“What do you think of them?” Caleb asked. I was rifling through one of my shopping bags, looking for a cute bracelet I bought.

“Oh, I hadn’t even thought... I like them,” I decided.

“You and Gwyn really seemed to hit it off.” Caleb recalled.

“Yeah, I like her.”

“She’s really cool. Just be careful, though.”

“Why?”

“Well,” Caleb sighed. “She used to hang out with all the popular girls. Austin did too. Then, a year or so ago, something happened, and now they...they kind-a hate her.”

“I don’t think that will be an issue. We’re friends. I like Gwyn.”

“I just...don’t want you to become their next target.”

“I can handle myself.”

“I know you can, but Gwyn... has been the focus of a lot of the popular kids’ quite heinous pranks. I just would feel bad, if you did too, and I didn’t tell you.” Caleb had a look on his face, of some emotion I couldn’t identify. He looked puzzled, as if he was inwardly arguing with himself.

“Believe it or not, I used to be in the popular group. But I have no desire to ditch Gwyn just because of something that happened. That’s old news, and if anybody has a problem with me and Gwyn being friends, I’ll take care of it.” I said confidently.

“Just be careful.” Caleb commented ominously.

“I need to be careful about girls at school?”

“Be careful about everything.”

“What’s going to happen?” I asked doubtfully.

“I wish I knew. I just have one of those feelings.”

“A feeling about...?” I prompted him to elaborate.

“I wish I could tell you more. But you need to be careful, cautious. Something bad is going to happen. I don’t know what, but it’s something big.”

“Are you not telling me something, Caleb?” I asked, giving him a serious look.

“I’m not telling you a lot of things.” He said grimly.

“Does this have to do with why I’ve come here?” I asked, thinking again of Caroline’s death. What trouble had I caused with my moving to Scarborough? What in the world did any of this have to do with me?

He didn’t respond.

When he said it, I dismissed the warning. I was too angry at the fact that Caleb admitted he was lying to me. He was withholding information that was crucial to whatever ‘imminent danger’ I would face in the future. I didn’t believe him. I refused to, out of spite.

I had no way of knowing my own degree of ignorance.