Status: active

The Mute Mate

Chapter Six

I sat in my room for what seems like hours, listening to the soft rumbles of talking going on downstairs. Their conversations weren't clear, but every once in a while, I could catch a few words, though not enough to make any sense of what happened.

The pack doctor had arrived shortly after I came upstairs and since then, he's been fluttering about, his feet never stopped shuffling about, which worried me. Were their injuries that bad?

And my brother. He had to leave for patrol. I heard that quite clearly as my dad yelled that his pack was more important than a few "minor injuries". The door had slammed shut a few seconds later.

Sighing in worry and frustration, I got up from my desk, stretching my arms over my head as my back popped before I slowly made my way downstairs, careful to avoid making even the slightest sounds. I crept down the stairs before i crouched down on the last step, their conversation becoming quite clear. I tilted my head as I listened in on them.

"Those damn rogues almost go into our lands with plans to kill. Of course I had to kill them."

"Why come here though? Don't they know our reputation?"

There was a brief silence, before someone cleared their throat. "Isn't it rather weird though?"

"What is?"

"That ... these rogues are teaming up. They've never done this before. Most of our rogues are rogues voluntarily, either tired of pack life in general or to just get away from a specific pack. I mean, they're not exactly treated like the kings and queens of our world, but they're not treated too badly either. But now, all of a sudden, groups of rogues comes and attacks as though we've done something against them personally."

Silence.

"I don't know what's going on, but I don't like it. Not one bit."

"However, I must say it was lucky you were patrolling when you did."

"Oh, that was no accident."

"What?"

"My daughter's wolf told me somethig was amiss, so we went to investigate."

"But how? How could she know?"

"She's .... special."

"Special how?"

I craned my head forward, excitement building up in me. "She's a -"

I almost jumped out of my skin as someone grabbed my shoulder. I turned my head to look at Kevin, a grin on his face motioning for me to follow him. I gave him a sheepish smile before I stood up, following him outside. Part of me was a bit irritated at Kevin for pulling me away from their conversation at the most crucial part, but I also knew I felt a bit guilty for eavesdropping on someone's conversation ... again.

"So," Kevin started, a grin still on his face. "What are you doing?"

I blushed before looking to the side, crossing my arms pouting a bit. He laughed before he slung his arm over my shoulders. "Come on. Your brother told me he was worried about you, so I volunteered to take you over to my house for a X-Men movie marathon."

I raised my eyebrow at him, though I couldn't fight the smile that stretched across my face. X-Men was probably one of my favorite movie series. His grin turned to a soft smile, kissing the top of my head before he lead me over to his house.

xXxXxXxXx

At his house, he lead me to his living room, where a relatively big flat screen was mounted on the wall. He sat me in one of the loveseats in the room before he popped the movie in and said he'd be back with popcorn and soda. However, once all the previews have played and we were at the start menu, he still wasn't back, so I got up and went to the kitchen.

"-nd she's safe, so don't worry about her ... yeah ... yeah ... I know, I know. Bye Jake."

I walked into the kitchen just as he hung up the phone, He looked over his shoulder, giving me a smile before grabbing a bowl and handed me a cup.

"Sierra Mist, right?"

I nodded my head, smiling up at him as I followed him back to the living room, the both of us settling down in one of the loveseats before playing the movie. Something was bugging me though, causing me to not really concentrate on the movie. I felt as though more than just my dad was hiding something from me and I intend to find out.