Sequel: Change

Wasted

She'll Never Notice...

And so it begins! The NHL season kicked off this weekend with some great contests. Did your team play?

In LA, the Hawks and Kings went blade to blade as the Kings raised their banner and were in the presence of Lord Stanley one last time before the abbreviated season got under way. The Hawks took it and many critics couldn’t help but notice that the champion Kings looked a little… un-king like.

In Filthy-I mean, Philly- the Penguins opened against the Flyers. With the first ‘W’ out of the way for their season as well, they move on to NYR before traveling home to open the Consol Energy Center against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Needless to say, I had a good night of hockey reveling.

Many think that Edmonton is poised to make it in the long haul this season with the talent they’ve recruited in the last few years. I think they’ll improve, but perhaps not enough to be considered as Cup contenders. The Avalanche has a new captain in Gabriel Landeskog and the new leadership could perhaps turn their team around. Or run it into the ground. You never know. But maybe I’m just bitter because he beat Crosby out of the youngest captain ever by three days. Probably that.

Some KHL players are ready to break out again into the NHL. Evgeni Malkin looked pretty good last night, although I’m not seeing quite the same level of talent that made him a 50 goal scorer last season. Alex Ovechkin looked lack luster in camp, but maybe I’ll be proved wrong in the coming days.

Who do you think will have the best season? Will it be Crosby, Stamkos, Getzlaf, or Brodeur? Maybe someone completely off the radar? One thing’s for sure, the NHL season is just heating up and by the time it’s boiling, there’ll be no telling who’s on top.

Stay classy and sassy, never trashy!
XO- Steph

Current music- It’s Time by Imagine Dragons


*~*~*~*~*~*


“Follow me,” I smiled to an older couple and led them to a table. “Have a seat and your server will be right with you.”

It had been a busy night of work and the dinner rush was just beginning to pass. For a Monday, there sure was a whole hell of a lot of people eating out. In the VIP room, we even had a retirement party.

As I returned to our post at the front of the restaurant, I found that Maggie wasn’t alone. Standing with her was Jerry and a few familiar faces. Jon, Patrick, his girlfriend, and Andrew were standing talking with them.

“Hey guys,” I waved and they turned. I saw them squint at me and I laughed. I forgot that they hadn’t known me as long as Brandon had. “Oh, my bad. I might have gotten the color stripped from my hair…”

“You’re a natural brunette?” Amanda, Pat’s girlfriend, asked. “I never would have guessed.”

“I kind of forgot to tell you the truth,” I shrugged. “I’ve been dying it since my senior year, so it’s a big change.”

“It looks good,” she nodded. “Matches your complexion a bit more.”

“Thanks,” she seemed good for Pat; normal. “Can I get you guys a table?”

“We’re headed to the bar,” Jon said, eyeing me.

“Oh, is Brandon with you?” I hadn’t seen him since the snow day at Jon’s.

“No,” Andrew shook his head. “His parents are in town.”

“What?!” I gasped. “Mr. and Mrs. Saad are here? Is George with them? Oh my God!”

“Who’s George?” Patrick asked.

“Maybe I can tell you if you have drinks with us,” Andrew bargained and I rolled my eyes.

“I’m working.”

“But she can join you on her break,” Jerry butted in. “But no alcohol.” I knew he was just making an exception for the Blackhawks, but I didn’t care.

They headed off into the bar and Jerry wandered off to his office. As soon as we were alone, I felt Maggie stomp on my foot.

“Ow!” I jumped. “What the hell was that for?”

“You totally ignored Toews!” she gestured wildly. “He was giving you the eyes

“The eyes?” I sighed. “Mags, you’re seeing things. The last time you thought a guy was giving me the eyes, it turned out he was staring at the hooker in line for coffee behind us.”

“Well at least he was actually giving the eyes,” she protested. “It just wasn’t to you. But that’s beside the point! I’m saying that you need to do something.”

“Do what?”

“Ask him out!” Maggie waved her hands like it was obvious. “Like, now!”

“No!” I shook my head and gave her a look of my own. “I’m old fashioned. He needs to make the first move. I’m a little shy-,”

“Please,” she rolled her eyes. “You can’t even say it’s because you’re shy. You told me that he admitted to Kane that he thought you were attractive in so many ways!”

“Every way,” I corrected her under my breath.

“See!” Maggie said with a rising voice. “Just ask him out!” She enunciated each word clearly.

“No. He’s a friend. Nothing more.”

She was frustrated with me and as a new group came for a table, she left to seat them, leaving me to go on my break. But all of a sudden, I really didn’t want to be near any mention of a certain captain.

I walked down the short flight of steps into the bar to see Jon, Andrew, Pat, and Amanda sitting at the counter with one seat open on the end… next to Jon. Of course.

“Hi,” I said quietly as I took my seat on the stool and shrugged my red blazer off and hung it on the back. “Thanks for letting me join you guys.”

“Well it was the only way you were getting your information,” Jon smiled. “How are you?”

“I’m good,” I nodded. “Yourself? Some good hockey this past weekend.”

“Thanks,” his smile grew. “I’m good. Ready to get the season… boiling.”

“Looks like I got myself a regular blog reader,” I teased and looked down the line at the rest of our friends. Patrick and Amanda were in a conversation of their own and Andrew was trying to flirt with the bar tender, Elise.

“Shawzer, she’s out of your league, buddy. Hey, Elise, you want to grab me some cranberry juice?” I saw Andrew shoot me daggers as I effectively cock blocked him.

“I’m not telling you shit now,” he grumbled into his drink.

I rolled my eyes. “Not like I can’t find out on my own.” I turned my attention back to Jon. “So about those tickets?”

He laughed. “I’ve got two seats for you. I think they’re with Brandon’s family. I hope that’s okay.”

“Of course!” I nodded. “They’re, like, my extended family. I can’t wait to see them.”

“You haven’t seen them when you go home to Pittsburgh?” Jon asked.

I shifted in my seat. “Can I be completely honest? I know this is going to sound horrible, but I haven’t really gone home since I started going to school out here in Chicago. My parents got me my apartment since I was at school on a scholarship and I just never looked back. I go back for a few weeks every summer, but that’s really it. We were never very close.”

“Wow,” he breathed. “That’s…”

“Harsh,” I shrugged. “It is what it is. I just really miss Pittsburgh, that’s all. Do you know how hard it is to find quality streams for Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates game online? Not easy.”

Jon laughed and soon I found him shifting in his seat. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah,” he scratched his neck. “There’s this charity thing this weekend and, uh-,”

“Oh!” I shot up in my seat. “Brandon told me about this. I’m going with him. As his ‘date’.” I threw in air quotes.

A sorry look passed over his face, but he covered it up. “Oh. Cool. So, you’ll be there?”

I nodded. “Mhmm. I should go back. Thanks for letting me join you.”

He muttered his goodbye and it wasn’t until I was back at my station that it hit me.

Fuck. I looked back at him hunched over at the bar talking with his friends.

Jon had been trying to ask me out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Expect multiple updates in a day from now on! There might even be one tonight. Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

At Work