Unexpected Love

I Tried To Forget You

“Yea Edy it’s me.”
“Wow, uh what are you doing here?”
“I’m back in town from training and I heard you worked here and lived in this area and wanted to say hi. It’s been ages since we’ve seen each other.”
“Yea like 8 years or something.”
“Yea, I live in the area too. I play for the Niners.”
“That’s awesome! I didn’t know that.”
She would never tell Colin she was his biggest fan.
“Aren’t you a Niners fan still?”
“Uh yea, I just don’t keep up with it much. I’ve been pretty busy and all.”
“You seem to be doing pretty good for yourself.”
“I try.”
“….”
“So what really brings you here Colin?”
“I just wanted to see you and say hi. And since you’re brothers getting married he asked me to be the best man.”
“What did you just say?”
“I just wanted to see you…”
“No not that the other thing.”
“And say hi.”
“Colin!” Eden gave him a warning tone.
“You’re brothers getting married?”
“What do you mean he’s getting married? Last time we talked he wasn’t even dating anyone. He’s overseas! And why would he tell you and not me?”
Eden was in a fury. She just talked to her brother last week. She was mad at Colin for showing up unexpectedly and then he brings up that her brothers getting married and he didn’t tell anyone besides Colin.
“He just told me a few days ago. He asked me if I would be his best man and I said yes. Her name is Tanya. They met when Jeremy got sent to the Army docs.”
“He got hurt!”
“Eden chill out! Let me finish explaining.”
“They met when he got sent to the army docs for a MINOR cut on his head. No big deal. And they hit it off.”
“How long has he known her?”
“…..”
“COLIN!”
“Fine! They’ve been seeing each other for about 6 months.”
“6 months! He couldn’t tell me that he’s been seeing someone for 6 months! And he has you come here and tell me. Does he not realize what this would do to me?” She said gesturing to Colin.
“What do you mean ‘do this to me’ Edy?”
“You know just that I had to hear it from someone else other than him. Kind of sucks Colin that my own brother felt he had to have someone else tell me he’s getting married. Oh he is so going to hear it!”
Eden got on her computer and fired up an email and told her brother when he could to call her immediately.
“Does our mom even know?”
She looked up at Colin from her laptop who gave her a solemn nod.
“Edy he didn’t want to tell you, he was afraid of you being mad at him. He’s really happy and she’s really good for him.”
Eden was in tears after hearing Colin say that. She would never be angry at her brother.
“Why couldn’t he tell me? I wouldn’t have been mad Colin. I’m shocked more than anything. He’s my brother. We tell each other everything. I want him to be happy.”
Colin came over to Eden and gave her a hug. When Eden realized just how close Colin was she pushed him away.
“I’m sorry Eden; I just thought you felt something for me still.”
“What are you talking about?”
“Eden please don’t be mad when I tell you.”
“You’re testing my patience Colin and I have a lot of it. Now tell me.”
“After graduation, when I moved to Nevada, Jeremy and I stayed in touch and he told me how you felt about me. That I was the reason you stopped hanging out with us. I’m sorry for what I said Eden. If I had known you felt that way I wouldn’t have said what I said.”
Eden stood speechless. Now her brother was going to really have it.
“Look Colin, I don’t know what Jeremy told you but I was 13. It was just a school girl crush. I stopped hanging out with you guys because I felt I was neglecting my other friends. It wasn’t you.”
Colin looked like he had been punched in the stomach. Eden felt horrible for lying to him but she wasn’t going to let the guy who broke her heart break it again.
“Well I guess what’s past is past huh? I mean you look great. You definitely grew. You turned out to be a pretty amazing girl.”
“I’d hope I’d be a little taller after 8 years. Not as tall as you but then again you were always taller than everyone. You turned out pretty good yourself.” They shared a small smile with each other.
“Do you maybe want to go out sometime?”
“Oh… wow… umm… you see I’m sort of seeing someone.”
“Oh? What’s his name?”
“It’s uh, uh, Evan!” Eden said just as Evan was walking by.
“Do you need something Dr. McGarrett?”
“Oh Evan you’re so funny! You know you can call me Eden!”
Eden leaned into Evan and whispered:
“Just play along ok?”
Evan gave her a weird look but played along anyway.
“Colin this is my boyfriend Evan. Evan this is Colin, an old friend.”
Colin gave Evan a skeptical look as he was being introduced.
“And what I have I told you about calling me Dr. McGarrett at work. You know you don’t have to.”
“Oh Eden, you know I like to be professional at work.”
“So this is your boyfriend? No offense dude but you seem kind of girly. And you guys don’t seem all that into each other.” Colin said point blank.
Eden gave Evan a look that told him to please keep playing along.
“I just like fashion is all and Eden likes it. She’s not complaining. And since it’s none of your business but I’m going to tell you anyway, we started dating recently.”
Colin gave Eden a look as to say is this true? She nodded at Colin agreeing with what Evan had said.
“OK well…. Eden here’s my number, call me if you need anything, want to hang out or whatever. I’m busy but I can make time for you. Looks like we’ll be seeing a lot of each other for the wedding.”
Colin went into hug Eden again but she played it off with a handshake which left Colin hurt and confused. Colin left a card with his number on it and walked out the door just as his phone started ringing. As soon as Colin was out of ear shot Evan bombarded Eden.
“You want to tell me what that was all about EDEN?”
“I’m sorry Evan I panicked! He asked me out and I told him I was seeing someone. He asked me who and you’re the first person I could think of!”
“You do realize I have a boyfriend right?”
“YES EVAN I KNOW! I’m so stupid, stupid, stupid! I’m such a horrible person. I lied to him!”
“Why did you lie to him?”
“You already know why Evan!”
“No. I mean why did you lie to him about seeing someone. You could have just said you weren’t interested.”
“I don’t know! You know I don’t do well under pressure!”
“Girl if I were you I would have so jumped on that. That boy is a fine piece of brisket. Not to mention the muscles. Damn girl you’re crazy for not getting on that.”
“I KNOW!”
“By the way we’re breaking up. I just don’t do well dating girls.”
“Gee thanks Evan.”
The two shared a good laugh and Evan went about his business. Eden picked up Colin’s card and programmed his number in her phone. A few minutes later she got a request for Skype. As soon as she logged in her brothers face appeared.
“Hey Eden. Are you mad?”
Eden thought about it for a moment before she smiled and replied no.
“Eden you will never guess who I just got done talking to.” Jeremy said sarcastically.
“Oh I have a few guesses Jeremy.” She replied with sass.
“Colin informed me that my baby sister is dating her gay best friend.”
“Colin doesn’t know he’s gay. And we broke up 15 minutes ago. Shortest relationship I ever had.”
Jeremy rolled his eyes at his little sister.
“Why did you do that Eden? He was hoping to start fresh with you.”
“You know Jeremy, I don’t think it’s fair you’re picking on me when you had your best friend tell me you were getting married and then he told me that you told him about me being in love with him! Do you know how hard it is to crush a guy like that?”
“I’m sorry Eden. It’s just that me and Colin have started talking again and he asked about you. I told him where he could find you. He just wanted to mend what was broken. I think he likes you Eden. You should give him a chance.”
“I’m not that easy Jeremy.”
“I’d hope not sis. Just maybe talk to him again. Become friends. Be his friend. Also would you mind being the maid of honor at my wedding? Tanya doesn’t have any sisters or many friends and it would mean sooooo much to me and her.” Jeremy said as he flashed Eden his puppy dog eyes.
“When do I get to meet her?”
“Mom’s having us over for dinner next week. Oh yea by the way I’m coming home next week ha-ha.”
“Really? Jeremy that’s awesome! I can’t wait to see you!”
“So what do you say about the wedding?”
“Let me meet her first then I’ll decide.”
“Does that mean we have your blessing to?”
Eden pretended to be thinking and finally gave a smile and her nod of approvement to Jeremy.
“Well baby sis I got to go but I will see you soon. Love you! Oh and don’t forget about Colin.”
“Yea, yea, yea, love you too. Bye!”
After they disconnected Eden fell back in her chair and let out a sigh. She looked at one of her pictures she had sitting on her desk. It was a picture of Jeremy, Colin and her sitting by their pool when they were younger smiling for her mom’s camera. She was in the middle and Colin had his head laying on hers and smiling bright while Jeremy had his arm thrown around her giving her an awkward hug. Eden was just beaming.
Eden picked up her phone and sent a message.
If you want we can maybe grab some dinner sometime and catch up. But just as friends.
A few minutes later she got a response
You name the time and place I will be there J
Eden just hoped she wasn’t setting herself up for another fall.