Don't Let Me Go

Chapter seven.

Niall was full of hugs and compliments when Becca entered the house on Harry’s heels. He greeted his friend, but his bright blue eyes seeked her out almost immediately after breaking from the rough and typical, male hug. Harry didn’t look back as he moved out of sight and into a completely different room altogether. Becca lets the disappointment settle for three… two… one more second and then let it go with one deep breathe.

“So glad ye’could make it, Becca!” Niall drooled in his heavenly Irish accent.

“Well it seemed more appealing than a night in with microwavable popcorn and cheesy evening soaps.” Becca laughed, accepting the kiss on the cheek from Niall.

“Hey, don’t hate English television.” Niall jokes, grabbing her hand and guiding Becca through the house and into the back yard. The weather was cold, but Niall had somehow created a warm atmosphere. He had at least five heaters situated around the patio, as well as two metal fire pits that had large flickers of fire set in the middle of them. People sat around the pits and drank and talked about things, whilst Becca followed Niall too the small group by one of the pits.

Harry was sat down, a beer in hand as he chatted to some girl. He had that smile on his face, but Becca noticed it didn’t reach his eyes.

Becca sat with Louis and Eleanor, and moulded into their conversation with ease. Lou and her boyfriend Tom arrived soon after and Lou made a beeline for Becca, a huge grin on her face.

“I’m so glad you’re here,” Lou gushed, pulling Becca to the side along with Louis since he also had the same smile.

“What’s up with you two?” Becca chuckled, “You both look like the Cheshire Cats with those smiles.” She looked at Louis who placed an arm around her shoulder and pulled her in for a sideways hug.

“Don’t tell her yet, I want all the guys here.” Louis held his hands up to Lou before running off to gather the others.

“What do you lot know that I don’t, because it seems very important to my life and I’m very confused right now!” Becca chuckled, watching as the five guys and Eleanor walked over to Lou and Becca. Louis resumed his position with his arm around his cousin.

“So, as some of you may know, this year’s tour is going to be bigger and better than last years. They’ll be a bigger production and longer shows every night.” Louis began, addressing everyone.

“Get to the point, Louis.” Liam chuckled, sipping from his bottle of beer.

“Well, recently Simon has been looking into upping the staff because there is no way the crew can manage on their own. Lou here, happens to be one of those who will struggle to keep up with us five guys as well as the other four from our support group.”

“God, I’m so confused.” Becca laughed, rubbing her forehead.

“What Louis is saying is, there is no way I can do this on my own this year. I need help and well, I put the idea forward to Simon and everyone, and they all agree that help would be good,” Lou’s eyes stared at Becca as she tried to piece it all together. “I put your name forward Becca and you got the job. All we need now is your say so, and you can pack your bags and join us on tour.”

What? I don’t understand how this is happening.” Becca exclaimed, staring at each of them in shock.

“You’ll be my assistant, you get to travel and do exactly what you told me you wanted to do. Please say you’ll think about it?” Lou said eagerly.

“No,” Becca blurted out and everyone looked shocked for moment.

“No?” A few of them chorused.

“No, I don’t want to think about it.” Becca said through a steady breathe. “I don’t need to think about it because the answer would be the same every time… Yes, I’d love to come on tour with you guys.”

A huge cheer erupted through most the group, but Becca wasn’t oblivious to Harry’s mutual expression. He caught her stare and she wondered if he hated her for imposing on this tour. Had he hoped not to see her again after this party? But suddenly a smile broke through his face and he raised his can of beer.

“I guess this calls for a toast,” Harry’s words threw her off guard, but tried her best not to let it show.

Everyone around in the small group raised their cans or glasses, smiles on every single one of their faces. Becca smiled too because suddenly she realised she had a job and would be spending most the year with her new friends travelling and doing everything she had dreamed.

“To Becca,” Harry said, “Welcome to the crew!”

“To Becca!” Everyone chorused, giving a few cheers and whistles.

Becca raised her wine glass and thanked them all, but mostly she was trying to decipher the smile on Harry’s face. She couldn’t place it as happy, forced or scheming. Whatever it was, it was definitely scaring her, though she wasn’t sure if being scared was such a bad thing.

Becca had an unhealthy crush on Harry, something that was close to obsession since he never seemed to leave her mind. This wasn’t her; she was a good girl with a respectful past. She didn’t obsess over boys, especially not arrogant pop stars who could break her heart within an instant.

Yes, she was scared.