Status: Completed

The Risks We Take

8

“Hmm, what to do, what to do?” I walked around the apartment. I moseyed around while trying to occupy myself until Sean came home from work. “What’s this?” I asked myself going through a cardboard box of his. Maybe I shouldn’t do this? I thought to myself. Oh well, I’m doing it anyway. I continued going through the box, not expecting to find anything. But I did find something; it was a big five pound bag of cocaine! I was living with a cocaine addict! Oh my gawd what was I going to say to him?

“Hey, stranger!” he yelled coming through the front door. “I’m home!” I used to love hearing his voice now I was afraid of him finding out that I knew. “Where are you?” he yelled down the hallway. “In here!” I yelled from the bedroom. “Ooh, is it my birthday?” he walked through the door. “No, we need to talk though.” I said slowly. “Okay, I don’t know how to say this, but I know about your problem and its okay we can get you help, we can get through this together.” I said. “Oh, shit!” he put his hand over his face and sighed. “That’s why I didn’t tell you but now I have too.” He said under his breath. “Okay, I do not have a drug habit…”he laughed. “And… the reason I was gone was because I am part of the British Mafia and I was on a drug run…” he trailed off. “But you can not tell anyone!” he warned. “What?” I laughed. “You don’t believe me?” he asked hurt. “Are you serious?” I laughed a little harder. “I’m telling you the truth; I love you so much that I’m being honest with you, like you asked, please, you have to believe me.” He pleaded. “Oh, that’s real funny, Sean…. You really expect me to believe you?” I laughed hysterically this time. “Have you been drinking?’ Sean asked. “No! Why do you think that?” I laughed harder. “Because you don’t usually laugh when we’re fighting!” he yelled. “Well, maybe you look funny when you yell at me!” I poked his face. “You need to go lye down, we’ll discuss this later, when your sober enough to understand me!” he said firmly. He grabbed my waist and lead me to the bed, “Now lye down and don’t get up!” he commanded. He put the trash can from the bathroom by the bed.

When I woke up there was a note taped to the lamp, and two Aspirin and a glass of water. The note read: Well I left you some Aspirin and some water, so I hope you don’t the hangover from hell that I’m guessing that you have. I’ll see you when I get home from work, I love you XOXO.

Aw! I thought to myself. My phone started ringing, it was Sean. “Hullo?” I answered. “Hey, babe!” he said happily. “How are you, did you get my note?” he asked sympathetically. “Yeah, my head is throbbing.” I said madly. “Well, did you take the Aspirin?” he asked stupidly. “Yeah, but it takes a whole damn thirty minutes to work!” I said angrily. “Oh well, I’m sorry, I’ll see you in about twenty minutes.” He said happily. “Okay.” I hung up. I started to think about Treavor, I feel horrible doing this to him. I have to break things off now! He won’t understand at first but I can’t lead him on anymore.

“Treavor?” I asked when he answered the phone. “Yeah?” he said excitedly. “Uh, well, um…” I trailed off. “Are you okay?” he asked concerned. “Uh, yeah…” I frowned. “Treavor I can’t do this anymore!” I said in a rush. “What…?” he breathed out. “I just need some time to myself, and we are both about to go to college and we both know we are going to meet other people.” I said sadly. “But…but…I love you.” He stuttered. “I’m sorry, but I have to do this.” I cried into the phone. He started to say something but I hung up before I could hear him. I have never cared this much about someone else’s feelings. I guess you could say I’m kind of shallow; I’ve always been the “Snobby Rich Kid.” So I really haven’t ever really cared about anyone but myself. I really just can’t explain how it made me feel.

I popped in my ‘Escape the Fate’ CD, and just listened. I was soon interrupted by the sound of Sean’s silky voice. “Hey, girl!” he said plopping down on the couch. “Hey!” I sighed. “What’s wrong with you?” he asked sympathetically. “Nothing, I just broke up with Treavor and it was the worst feeling in the world.” I said trying not to cry. “Oh” he paused, “Well… are you going to be okay?” he asked sadly. “Yeah.” I sighed. “I only did it for you, I love you so much.” I kissed him. Then I got up and walked off to the bedroom, and shut the door. I lay down and cried silently for I don’t know how long. I guess I cried myself to sleep because when I woke up Sean was lying next to me but he was asleep. I looked at the clock; it was three o’clock in the morning. I wasn’t going to go back asleep any time soon, so I went into the living room and watched cartoons, (that’s all that was on, Sean didn’t have Cable or Satellite).

Around ten o’clock Sean came into the living room. “There you are.” He said sounding relieved. “Yes, here I is.” I said halfheartedly. I guess you say I’m not going to get over Treavor for a while. “Why do you sound so relieved?” I asked. “This is going to sound stupid…” he paused “But I thought you might leave me for Treavor.” He looked at the floor. I didn’t say anything I just walked away once again. I could finally see why Sean would always walk away when things got complicated, it was easier. I sat in the bedroom and cried once again. It was supposed to be better for all of us, so why was I so upset over this? In the end I was the one most hurt. Why? That was the burning question. Why, every time I found love it lasted for a little while then something happened to make it hard and depressing? I love Sean so why do I feel so bad about Treavor? I finally accepted the fact that I may never know, so for now I am just going to live my life.