Blood is Full of Empty Promises

Parlor Trick

Team Asuma discussed their strategy. Ino offered to distract Hidan, but Ayaka and Shikamaru both disagreed. There was no way Ayaka would let Ino put herself in danger just to hold him off. She wanted to take care of Hidan herself. She could care less about the creepy guy and his three masks. Ayaka glanced over at Gaara who was completely unconscious. Kakazu had to have hit him pretty hard to break through his ultimate defense and knock him out at the same time. Or maybe Gaara was too focused on whether she was in danger or not. Ayaka clenched her fists angrily.

“I’m going to do it,” Shikamaru replied with determination.

“Alone?” Ino asked almost worried.

“No, I’ll help him,” Ayaka replied. Shikamaru opened his mouth to protest, but Ayaka held up her hand to silence him. “Hear me out, Shikamaru. You lost your sensei and friend to Hidan. Hidan used to be my best friend. We’re from the same village,” Ayaka said her voice breaking from the emotion. She clenched her fists, digging her nails into her skin. “I have to avenge them. I have to help in some way because I let him go that day. I let him walk away after he slaughtered my village.”

Shikamaru’s mouth forced a hard thin line. “Alright. Ayaka comes with me. I’ll get him with my shadow possession and then we’ll head off with him.”

“Are you sure? How do you plan on trapping him? We still need some kind of diversion.” Kakashi asked.

“Well, I could take care of that part,” Choji answered nonchalantly.

“No way, if he so much as scratches you and captures your blood, it’s all over. It’ll be just like last time. A head on attack is the wrong way to go here,” Shikamaru argued. Choji looked a little disappointed. “Choji, you have to preserve your chakra. Kakashi-sensei is going to need your help. I’ll get a hold of Hidan. You guys can stay out of it.”

Ayaka smirked. As if she’d let him do it all by himself. There was no way she was going to stay out of it. If anything she could distract Hidan long enough for Shikamaru to get ahold of Hidan with his shadow possession. She had a feeling in the pit of her stomach that Hidan wanted her alive more than dead. She knew that he wanted her to join him. Maybe if she pretended to change her mind, then he’d fall for it and let his guard down if only a little.

“Alright, he’s all yours then,” Kakashi replied and tossed something at Shikamaru. He caught it, carefully placing it in his back pouch. Shikamaru stepped forward readying himself, to go head to head with Hidan. As he continued forward, Kakazu’s masks gathered in a line behind the Akatsuki member. Everything was still as if they were waiting for the other to make the first move.

Shikamaru moved first. The talented strategist waved some hand signs making the shadows around him bend and twist in excitement. It sprung towards Hidan who was more than prepared for the attack. “Not that again,” Hidan replied and dodged his shadows. Kakashi then took the opportunity to attack Kakazu.

Ayaka looked to Gaara and then to Team Asuma. “Ino, please make sure nothing happens to Gaara,” she said to the blonde.

Ino nodded. “What are you planning to do? Shikamaru said he’d take care of it himself.”

“Yeah, well I’m not going to just stand by and let him take all the credit,” Ayaka smirked and headed off towards Shikamaru and Hidan. Hidan was dancing around, dodging the shadows while Shikamaru tried hard to focus all his chakra on capturing the silver-haired rogue.

She wasn’t even paying attention to anything else and one of Kakazu’s masks that crept up behind her. “Ayaka, look out!” she heard Ino scream from behind. Ayaka turned to see the fire mask and she felt the heat from his readied blast. She didn’t have time to move out of the way. She was done for. She put her arms up to attempt to block the attack. The blaze of fire engulfed her and her ears rang with screams. She wasn’t sure if they were from herself or someone else. It was hot. Blazing, making her sweat like she was inside of an oven, but her skin wasn’t burning. Ayaka opened her eyes to darkness. She wasn’t sure what was going on. Shouldn’t she be dead?

Ayaka was still standing and then the darkness around her began to crack. The walls around her crumbled down and started to swirl around her in a protective shield of sand. She looked over to Gaara; he was still unconscious. How was this possible? She looked over to Ino and Choji who were just as dumbfounded as she was.

“We’ll take care of the masks,” Choji said and looked to Ino. Ino nodded with determination and Ayaka turned her focus to Shikamaru and Hidan. She watched as Hidan continued to dodge Shikamaru’s shadows.

Ayaka didn’t have time to think. Shikamaru would never catch Hidan this way. He’d run out of chakra eventually and he would need that for later. She bolted forward attacking Shikamaru. He didn’t even see it coming. He was knocked to the dirt and Hidan stopped to stare in shock at the love of his life.

“Ayaka, what the hell are you doing?!” Shikamaru screamed angrily. He tried to get up, but Ayaka kicked him to keep him down.

“Like I said earlier, Shikamaru, I used to be best friends with Hidan. And watching you guys fight just made me realize just how pathetic you are. Hidan is much stronger and,” Ayaka forced herself to blush, “I’ve always loved him.”

Hidan’s mouth opened and he froze. He wasn’t sure how to react to this. He didn’t actually think that she would change her mind, but I guess she did. It shocked the shit out of him. It shocked Shikamaru too seeing as a spark of anger and disbelief flashed in his eyes.

Ayaka wasn’t sure what to do next. She was hoping that Shikamaru would take this chance to get a hold on Hidan, but he looked too shocked to even move or think straight. Damn it, she should have let him in on her plan. “Come on, Hidan-kun, let’s finish him off together,” she said and held out her hand towards her former best friend. Hidan smiled and continued forward.

“I knew you’d come around eventually. I just had to take out the Kazekage first,” he replied and readied his scythe. Hidan took another step forward and then his foot stopped in midair. “What the hell?”

Ayaka looked and Shikamaru stood behind Hidan, their shadows connected. The Shikamaru, which was on the ground in front of her, disappeared in a cloud of smoke. “You fell for my shadow clone,” Shikamaru explained from behind Hidan.

Ayaka smirked. “And you fell for my lies. I’d never be with you,” she added.

Shikamaru made Hidan drop his weapon. “Come on pal, we’re going for a little stroll,” he said and turned around. Shikamaru ran out of the immediate area with Hidan not far behind him. Ayaka followed, determined, and with a fire in her eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading :D
Please comment/subscribe/recommend