Status: Writing and uploading this on my phone, I apologise for short chapters or spelling errors etc.

The Fate of the Tainted

Chapter Seven

We have been travelling south east towards the edges of the Korcari Wilds and the ruins of Ostegar. According to history the Tevinter Imperuim built Ostegar to prevent the Wilders from invading the northern lowlands.

“The kings forces have clashed with the Darkspawn several times but here is where the bulk of the hoard will show itself. As you know there are few Grey Wardens currently in Ferelden, but every one of them is here. This Blight must be stopped here. Now. If it spreads to the north, Ferelden will fall” Duncan says as we walk through the ruins towards the main encampment, where the Wardens and the Kings army are set up, preparing for the battles to come. I look at him as he is speaking, as we are walking but a voice causes me to look forward. Favian and Amnon behind us, leading the horses. Damon sniffing around curiously.

“Ho there, Duncan” A man in heavy gold plated armour is walking towards the both of us, he shakes Duncan's hand in greeting “King Cailen” he sounds a little surprised “I did not expect a-” he starts but the king, finishes his sentence for him “A royal welcome?” I had heard stories about the king but so far the stories do him no justice, yes he is a handsome young man but he does not seem the fool that people say he is. “I was beginning to worry you'd miss all the fun”
“Not if I could help it your majesty”
“Then I'll have the mighty Duncan at my side in battle after all. Glorious. The other Wardens told me you had found a promising recruit. I take it this is she?”
“Allow me to introduce you your majesty” Duncan says looking at me “This is Lady Chase, her mother and herself have kept down the small Darkspawn raids that usually threaten The Hinterlands from time to time, her mother was not long since at the Landsmeet when you were last there. Lady Danaya”
“Ahh yes, a brave woman, Former Grey Warden if I hear correctly, sent to guard the lowerlands from the Darkspawn under my father Maric's rule. It is a pleasure to meet you my lady. I don't think we have ever actually met”
“No your majesty, we have never met previously, but it is an honour to meet you” I say with a slight bow
“By any chance would your mother be coming to aid us agaist the Darkspawn?”
“I am sorry my king, my mother will not be coming, unfortunately our keep was attacked from underground and whilst I was away tracking some Darkspawn that had previously attacked, my mother died shortly after”
“Dead? I am sorry for your loss my lady, it grieves me to hear of such a tragic death”
“Thank you for your sympathy my king”
he nods slightly “I am sorry to have to cut this short but I must return to my tent, Loghain waits eagerly to bore me with his strategies” Okay... a man who is bored of strategies is not a very wise man... I am beginning to see some truth in the stories I have heard
“Your majesty, your uncle sends his greetings and reminds you that Redcliff forces could be here in less than a week” Duncan says
“Ha, Eamon just wants in on the glory. We've won three battles against these monsters and tomorrow will be no different”
“You sound very confident your majesty, I didn't realise things were going so well” I say wondering if he is just thinking they went well or he doesn't understand how serious this is
“I'm not even sure this is a true Blight. We see plenty of Darkspawn on the field but alas we see no sign of an Archdemon”
“Disappointed your majesty?” Duncan asks
“I had hoped for a war like in the tales. A king riding with the fabled Grey Wardens against a tainted God. But I suppose this will have to do. But I must go before Loghain sends out a search party. Farewell Grey Wardens”
The four of us bow slightly and the King starts walking away with his two guard escort

“What the king said is true, they've won several battles against the Darkspawn here”
“The king doesn't seem to take the Darkspawn threat very seriously. All he is interested in is fame and glory and to be in a tale as the king who slew an Archdemon, he is just going to get himself killed”
“True, despite the victories so far. The Darkspawn hoard grows larger with each passing hour. By now they look to outnumber us five to one, by tomorrow it could be ten to one. I know there is an Archdemon behind this but I can not ask the king to act solely on my feeling”
“He is too interested in stories to pay the real threat any notice, he should wait for reinforcements”
“We sent a call out west to the Grey Wardens of Orleis but it will be many days before they can join us. Our numbers in Ferelden are too few, we must do what we can but we have had to look to Loghain to make up the difference. To that end we should proceed to the joining ritual without delay”
I nod “A hot meal might be nice first” I jest slightly.
He chuckles slightly
“What do you need me to do?” I ask serious now
“Feel free to explore the camp as you wish, I only ask that you do not leave it. When you are ready find another Grey Warden in the camp by the name of Alistair, tell him it's time to summon the other recruits. Your hound can stay with me while I attend to some business. The Grey Warden tent is on the other side of this bridge, you will find us there should you need to”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's not much but I'm uploading to let you know I have not abandoned this story, I'm just having bad writers block at the moment. Sorry, please bear with me.