Dynamhydra

Chapter One

Dynamhydra woke but did not open her eyes. She lay, focusing only on the repeating sounds of laughter and shouts going through the market outside her window. She could feel the the cool sensation of water flowing through her body, she kept still so she could continue to feel it. Palms up by her side, she created drops of water on her fingertips, slowly trickling into her palm creating a perfect pool of water. Being able to take the water from thin air… that meant that her powers were getting stronger. She felt the cooling sensation getting colder as she manipulated the pool of water to dance in the air, whilst keeping her palms still. She heard the strong voice of her mother calling throughout the castle, making the water dance faster and faster. Only when the door in the hallway slammed open did the water fall, paralyzing Dynamhydra.
“Dynam!”
But she could not answer, she could not move, not of fear, but of puzzlement. She felt something new in her heart, something strong. And it was burning.

The blue in her eyes seemed as frozen as ice when her eyes snapped open, and in one moment she was opening her door and nodding a greeting towards her mother. The Queen seem shocked by her cold welcome but quickly straightened her shoulders and turned her onlook into a glare.
“You should be at training, not slumbering in. You will one day have this place as your own and you need to be the example of strength and power…”
As her mother went on, Dynamhydra proceeded to change and join her mother in the hallway, tentatively listening. A guard came into the hallway. A hunter. You could tell right away, by the strength in his arms and the mud on his boots. Hunters were gifted with strength, sight, and hearing; making them good guards as well. This one was the best, he guards the Queen when she travels into town.

“Queen Avaritia,” he bows, “Hydra has a visitor.”
Avaritia’s glare grew colder as she addressed them both.
“Her name is Dynam,” her strong voice seemed to freeze the air, “Dynam, you will train at dawn. Get going.”
Dynam quickly left followed by the guard muttering his apologies. Avaritia walked into her daughter’s room, scanning and then noticing the water droplets on Hydra’s bed. They sat there, stopped right before they landed, just hovering. In an instant, she froze them and with a flick sent them shattering through the window into the market below.

~.~.~.~

They were in the middle of the hall when the guard finally spoke. His voice was always sweet and gentle when speaking to Hydra, ever since she was born he has been kind to her. He was only five at the time, but he understood that she had a great power and needed to be protected. That’s why he worked so hard to be the best hunter around, he needed to protect her, he felt it was written in his destiny. Her father was so kind to him...he vowed to never let what happened to him happen to her.
“It’s Nimiane again. That’s the seventh time she has visited you this week, why don’t you go out to town with her today?”
“Maxwell, you know mother wouldn’t take kindly to that. She fears that I will be attacked.”
“It’s been almost a year since you have felt the sun and swam in the ocean. I even heard Nimiane has discovered a new power.”

Hydra’s interest perked. Her best friend, Nimiane Araxie, has amazing abilities. Being incredibly skilled with her bow, can see almost as far as the hunters, and can manipulate her body to almost that of a mermaids; allowing her to breathe and move effortlessly under water. A new power? That was the first time Maxwell had seen Hydra’s eyes shine in months. She gave a small smile and turned to him.
“The sun and ocean sounds magnificent, I’m sure mother won’t be too upset. I do need fresh air after all.”
“That’s my girl. Now hurry on up, she’s in the Great Hall waiting.”