Status: Active

Just My Luck

one

Kylie laid upside down on her couch with her long, dark locks touching the wooden floor. She was aimlessly watching the CSI marathon that was playing on the cloudy, Sunday afternoon. Of course the mood outside would be matching with how she was feeling. It was such a cliché and she hated it so much. A soft knock on her front door interrupted her thoughts, making her sigh.

She got up from the couch and slipped on her black slippers to go and answer the door. She unlocked the door and opened it, hoping it was the take out she had ordered. Instead, it was Elina and Niklas. Kylie frowned as she walked away from her door, not bothering with closing the door or inviting them in. Elina gave Niklas a worried look before they walked into her apartment. Niklas closed the door as Kylie resumed her previous position on the couch.

"How are you holding up?" Elina asked sympathetically. She and her fiancé sat on the opposite couch that Kylie was lying on.

She look over at Elina and gave her a hard look. "How do you think I feel?"

Kylie returned her attention to the TV and tried to forget that they were in her apartment. She loved them, but hoped that they would get the message that she wanted to me alone.

"Elina and I are going out to dinner later," Niklas said in his adorable Swedish accent. "Would you like to join us?"

She shook her head. "I ordered food already, but thanks anyway."

Niklas quietly sighed as he looked over at Elina. They wanted to help Kylie, but they didn't know what to do. The door knocked after they sat there in silence for ten minutes. Kylie seemed out of it so that Niklas went to go and answer it. It was her take out and was only $15, so he paid for it himself.

"Kylie, honey," Elina frowned. "You need to leave your apartment sometime."

She rolled her eyes as she turned her body around so she was sitting up straight. "No, I don't Elina. I'm perfectly fine with staying inside my apartment for the rest of my life. I can do most of my work at home over the phone anyway."

Elina sighed in frustration. Niklas gave her a look, as if he was saying, “What did you expect?"

"This isn't healthy, honey. You can't do this to yourself," Elina tried to reason.

Kylie snapped, "Look, I know you're trying to help, but you just don't understand! The day Nik breaks off your engagement to be with another woman you're more than welcome to come talk to me! Otherwise, keep your damn advice to yourself because no one understands how I feel."

Niklas looked down at the floor as Kylie started to cry. Despite being yelled at, Elina moved next to Kylie and held her tightly as she cried. Crying seemed to be the only thing Kylie could do for the past two week. Kylie was barely able to eat or sleep for the past week. Her skin was paler than normal and her hair lacked its usual shine.

"God I wish I could hate him," Kylie sobbed. "Why am I not good enough for him?"

Elina felt her own lip quiver as she held on to Kylie tighter. It broke both of their hearts to see Kylie like this. No one deserved to be this heartbroken, especially not Kylie. She was such a sweetheart and everyone loved her, well, almost everyone.

"He's not worth all these tears, Kylie," Niklas said quietly. "You deserve to be happy."

"I was happy until she came back," she spat. "God I can't believe how stupid I was. I can't believe I didn't see it coming. I hope they get herpes or something."

Elina and Niklas laughed at her comment, making her smile just a bit. "That's the spirit," Niklas smiled.

Kylie gave him a questioning look. "He's your teammate."

"I know, but you were my friend first."

She smiled at Niklas and was thankful that not all of the men in her life were pigs. Since he and Niklas were teammates, she would have to see him at their wedding in two months. Niklas offered to tell him that he wasn't allowed to come to the wedding anymore, but Kylie refused. She didn't want to cause a mess with their relationship when it was only between him and her.

"Please come to dinner with us," Elina begged. "We miss being with you."

Kylie shook her head. "What if I see them together?"

"There are millions of restaurants in Chicago. What are the chances of running into them?" Elina questioned.

She shook her head, making Elina frown. "Maybe next time. You guys deserve to have some alone time."

After he had broken her heart, Kylie spent almost the whole week crying in Elina's arms at their loft. Niklas understood that Kylie needed Elina more than he did, but he missed sleeping in the same bed as his fiancé.

Elina and Niklas decided to stay until they were ready to go out to dinner. Kylie had forgotten about the take out she ordered as she stared off into space. She would smile at Niklas' jokes every so often. She even made some sarcastic comments to Elina. The couple knew that Kylie would be back to her normal self, but it would be a long, and hard process.

Niklas gave Kylie a tight hug and told her that he and Elina would always be there for her. She thanked them before they left her apartment. Kylie closed and locked the door after they left and saw something at the corner of her eye. On the side table next to the couch, was a picture of them two together. They were on vacation in Hawaii, celebrating their two year anniversary.

She began crying, thinking about all of the old memories they shared together. She picked up the picture and threw it against the door. Glass shattered everywhere and the picture was now face down on the floor. She sat there on the floor and cried for what seemed like hours. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't get him out of her head.

Image

Kylie pushed the red shopping kart down the aisles of the super market as she tried to decide what to buy for the week. Another week had gone by but it was still a struggle for her. She called out sick on Monday but went to work the rest of the week. Going to work was somewhat manageable. Working with Elina as her event planner for her wedding kept her mind off of him, but as soon as she walked into her loft, she couldn’t stop thinking about him.

She tapped her hand on the handle bar as she tried to decide which cereal to pick out. Her engagement ring was still on her finger, making a metal clang sound every time her hand had hit the bar. As she grabbed her favorite cereal, she heard her name being called from a distance. Out of curiosity, she looked down the aisle to see whose voice it was. She frowned, seeing his other teammate approach her.

"Hey Kylie," Jonathan Toews said with his boyish smile. "How are you holding up?"

She thought it was a stupid question but she couldn't be mad at Jonathan. He was such a sweet kid, even though she was only a few years older than he was.

Kylie shrugged. "You know, I'm okay considering what happened."

"That's good to hear. Listen, I hope you know me and the rest of the guys are pissed at him for what he did. We're giving him hell out on the ice."

She smirked up at him. "Good. Listen, I gotta get going. Good luck against the Rangers this week."

"Thanks. Uh I'm actually going out to dinner with Kaner and Stalberg. Do you maybe want to join us?" He asked, before quickly adding, "I swear he won't be there."

She shook her head, declining another dinner offer. "You don't have to do this, Jon. You don't have to worry about me. I'm not his girl anymore."

"I know," Jon sighed, "but we all love you. None of us like her, at least not in the way we like you."

She chuckled, "Yeah, I'm not so fond of her either."

They stayed quiet for a moment as Jon adjusted the baseball cap that rested on his head. "I don't want you to be out of my life for good, Ky. You're important to me, you're important to us."

"Well I’m important to almost everyone,” she mumbled. "You'll see me at Hjalmarsson's wedding."

Jon frowned. "That's in two months."

"I know, but I still need time for myself. It's only been a few weeks and there are just too many things that remind me of him, you know?" She questioned him. "It's just weird that you guys are on the same team as him."

He agreed with her. "Tell me about. I'll let you get back to shopping. I'll see you around, yeah?"

Kylie nodded. "Yeah."

Jon took a step forward and hugged her. She let out a little sigh as she held him back. "Call me if you need anything, alright? Even if it’s just to talk."

She smiled, "thanks, Jon."

Jon gave her a cute smile before walking away. She didn't know how a sweet guy like Jon could be on the same team as that pig that she used to call her fiancé. Sure Jon had his moments where he acted like the typical guy, but he would never treat Kylie, or any woman for that matter, the way the pig treated her.

"Hey Kylie," Jon called out. Kylie have him her attention and saw that he was already at the end of the aisle. "Save me a dance at the wedding."

Kylie laughed as Jon have her a final wave and walked away. She was going to miss those boys like hell. She knew that the team wouldn't stay together as a whole for much longer since players always got traded. But she never thought that the reason why she wasn't with them anymore was because of the pig not being able to keep it in his pants.

Snapping back into reality, Kylie continued to shop for food. Here she was, shopping alone to return to a loft where she would again be alone, while he would be in bed with the other woman.

Image

It bad been almost a full month and a half since Kylie had her heartbroken. She still cried herself to sleep most nights. If she wasn't crying, she would be up half the night wondering where she had gone wrong in their relationship. If she wasn’t thinking about if she was pretty enough for him, she wondered if she ever satisfied him in bed.

Thanks to Elina and Niklas, she was able to take on her day, one step at a time. Kylie was currently in the couple's loft, which was in the same complex as hers. She and Elina were putting on the finishing touches to her wedding, making sure everything was in order.

"I'm sorry I haven't been able to help for the past month," Kylie apologized after they reassigned the seating arrangements. She didn't want to sit next to the pig. "I hope Jess was able to help with everything," she said, referring to her friend from work.

Elina gave her a sweet smile as she put away her wedding binder. "Don't be sorry, honey. I understand that you needed time. And Jess was wonderful, she was almost as perfect at you."

Kylie laughed at her compliment. "So, are you excited for the big day? It's only two weeks away."

"I'm more nervous than anything else," Elina admitted. "I'm just glad that you're one of my bridesmaids. If I didn't have a sister you would definitely be my maid of honor."

Kylie was very flattered at her comment. She and Elina were very close, but she didn’t know that Elina thought of her in that way.

Suddenly, Elian's tone changed. "Just to let you know, he asked Nik if it was okay if he bought her to the wedding."

"Oh," Kylie swallowed. All of a sudden, she felt her palms sweat.

"Nik said no right away. You know he would never do that to you. Besides, it's too late to add an extra guest," Elina smiled.

Kylie smiled lightly. "Thank god for that."

The girls finished cleaning up the kitchen table so that all of the wedding things were safely put away. The front door opened, and the girls heard another voice beside Niklas'. He and Jon walked into the kitchen, greeting the girls with their warm smiles.

"Look who decided to tag along," Niklas said as Elina wrapped her arms around him.

Kylie looked up at Jon from her seat. "What are you doing here?"

"You know, I came to hang out," he smiled. Kylie raises her eyebrow up at him, knowing it was bullshit. Jon and Niklas got along very well, but it wasn’t like they were best friends. "Okay I came to see you. I wanted to see if you were okay."

She smiled, "I'm fine, Jon. You don't have to check up on me all the time."

"I think it's sweet," Elina cooed. "Are you boys’ hungry? You had an early practice today."

"I'm feeling like some Italian today," Kylie said, earning a few surprised glances from her friends. This was the first time Kylie had wanted to go out for any type of social event.

Elina smiled and said with an excited tone, "Italian it is then! Let me go change into jean and the four of us will go!"

Niklas followed Elina into their bedroom so he could put away his hockey equipment. Jon took Elina's seat as he watched Kylie fix up her make up.

"So, I heard you girls did more wedding stuff?" Jon knew he was so awkward whenever he tried to make small talk.

Kylie knew this as well, but loved the effort. "We did. She and I spent most of our time figuring out new seating arrangements and redoing a few of the seating cards for the guests."

"Who am I sitting with?" He asked curiously.

She smiled. "It's you, me, Vik, Seabs and his wife."

Jon was about to say something else before Elina and Niklas returned to the kitchen. Once they were all ready to go, Niklas suggest that they would take one car and that he would drive. Kylie and Jon sat in the back together on the short ride to the Italian restaurant.

Thanks to Jon's and Niklas' fame status, they were given a booth right away in the back of the restaurant. Kylie thought it felt good to be out again. She missed having real human interaction after watching countless hours of TV.

"How was practice today?" Elina asked, sipping on her water. She was trying to keep her figure to fit into her dress.

Niklas and Jon laughed as they thought about what had happened early on that day. "It was pretty good," Niklas smiled. "Everyone who wasn't on his team kept shoving him into the glass, even if he didn’t have the puck. He was getting so mad. I think Vik was the one who started it."

"Remind me to give him a hug," Kylie smiled.

The group laughed as their waiter dropped off the calamari that they had ordered for their appetizer. He refilled the girls’ water glasses before leaving them alone.

"So where are you guys going for the honeymoon?" Jon asked.

Niklas and Elina glanced at Kylie. They felt awkward with all of this wedding talk in front of her. Right before their break up, Kylie was going to ask him if it would be okay for them to start planning their wedding.

"Guys, it's fine if you talk about the wedding." She said with a reassuring smile. "You deserve to be happy and talk about it as much as you want."

Elina grinned over at Kylie. "Are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure. They're going to Greece, by the way." Kylie said, answering Jon's question. "But they're not going until the seasons over."

"We'll that's not too bad. It's ending in a couple of months," Jon shrugged. "You guys going on some weekend getaway until the real thing?"

Elina nodded, "we're going to go to Florida for a couple of days. After you guys play the Panthers of course. We'll be back in time for the practice on Wednesday."

Kylie's mind began drifting off. She was truly happy that two of her closest friends were getting married, but she was jealous. If they could do it, why couldn't she? She thought that she deserved to be just as happy as Elina was.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys will like this story! I actually have a lot of this story already written, so if feedback goes as well as I hope, I'll update very soon! And I just want you guys to know that this isn't one of those stories where Kylie is going to be crying throughout the whole story because Patrick left her.

Please let me know what you guys think! I really want to hear from you guys because this story already has 5 recommendations and 20 subscribers! You guys are the best!