It's Over When It's Over

When we Left Town

Daryl and I have been dating for a year now. It’s been nice. He’s really opened up and I’ve seen a side of him I don’t believe anyone else has ever seen. Daryl kinda moved in to my house. He spends most nights here. I’d rather have him sleeping at my house than in a trailer with Merle, but by Daryl staying at my house Merle thinks he is welcomed as well. It’s odd to say but I consider Merle Dixon my friend I just don’t want him at my place all the time. A lot of people look at the Dixon brothers like they are trouble. I understand that they can get that from Merle but Daryl? Daryl isn’t anything like Merle, except for the little angry problem.
“Dad I don’t feel good!” I said. I haven’t been feeling well over the past week and my dad always knows what to do to make me feel better.
“Well what’s wrong darlin?”
“I’ve thrown up 4 times in the past 3 days and my stomach hurts!”
“Well, have you had your lady thing yet?”He asked. I paused. I didn’t want to imagine where my father was going with that. I haven’t had my period yet. But I can’t be pregnant. Both Daryl and I aren’t ready for a child.
“No.” I mumbled.
“Well maybe you’re pregnant!” He laughed. I looked down thinking of the chances of me actually having a child. I mean how would Daryl react? Many people question why I’m even with Daryl and I think the last thing people want is another Dixon running around. “Hey Merle, Daryl. What can I get ya?” I jumped out my seat when my father called their names. I couldn’t tell Daryl anything just in case if I wasn’t but I am still scared to face him with thought in my head.
“I need more arrows. Hunting season is right round the corner.” Daryl said to my dad then turning to me, “Hey Lora.”
“Hey babe.” I said as I continued to look down.
“Whats wrong?” he asked with a concerned look on his face.
“Nothing.” I said. Daryl nodded as he bit at his bottom lip. My father dragged him to the back to look at the new arrows we had just gotten.
“Can I buy you a drink later at the bar? A way of saying thank you for talkin care of my baby brother!” Merle asked.
“Oh no thank you Merle.”
“When have you ever turned down a free drink?” He laughed.
“Now I am. Okay.”
Merle eyed me up and down. “Is my brother’s kid growin in there?” He whispered as he pointed to my stomach.
“I don’t know yet, but I swear if you say anything to him I will guarantee you won’t even be able to have kids of your own.” I spat.
Merle laughed and backed up, “Alright girl, I won’t say anything. Better find out soon though. Uncle Merle got a nice ring to it.” I punched him on the chest and went back to work.
____
It’s been a while since my father put the thought of being pregnant in my head. I was worried to face the answer. I haven’t been drinking just in case if I was but I still haven’t gotten checked out. Jackie over heard one of my conversations with Merle at the bar and she bought me 3 pregnancy test; just to make sure.
I starred at the 3 boxes as I drank a bottle of water. I told Jackie I would do it today and she basically invited herself. She wanted to be the first to know.
“Okay. I’m ready.” I announced to her. I grabbed the boxes, opened them, and took out the little sticks. After I was done peeing on the sticks we had to wait 3 minutes.
“So if you are pregnant what do you want the sex to be?” Jackie asked as she lay beside me on my bed.
“I’d want a boy, but it scares me if he turns out like Merle or mean like Daryl, but if it’s a girl than I have to deal with all the sucky things because I know how bad we get.” Jackie and I laughed. “I’m just not ready for a child. Oh and those stories in the news bout people biting each other. What if those get worse? Don’t wanna bring a baby in that!”
“Yeah they have been getting bad. I’m pretty sure the government is dealing with it.” Jackie looked at her watch, “OMG its time.” I took a deep breathe, got up and walked to the bathroom. I looked at each stick; my heart pounding.
“So a negative sign means not pregnant, right?” I asked Jackie. She nodded with a creepy smile. “Oh thank goodness! I’m not pregnant! All of them are negative. Oh my god! I guess I had just had the flu.” Jackie screamed with joy, “Let’s go to the bar! I need a beer!” Jackie and I ran out the house and walked over to the bar. When we got there it was closed. The bar is never closed.
“Let’s go to Jimmy’s house. See if he’s there.” Jackie suggested. I agreed and on our way back a man kept following us making strange noises. I tried to ignore it as much as possible but Jackie couldn’t stand it. She thought he was just some sick pig being creepy about us. Jackie turned around and walked up to him. “Can you stop following us!!?” She yelled. The man grabbed Jackie’s arm, “Let me-“ She couldn’t finish her sentence. The man had bitten her arm and she began screaming at the top of her lungs. I didn’t know what to do. I froze in shock. I saw Daryl’s truck drive up the street. I put my arms up waving them around to get his attention. Daryl drove up in front of is. He jumped out the truck with his crossbow. He shot the man in the head who had bitten Jackie.
“Daryl!” I screamed.
“Lora we gotta go. Those attacks are getting real bad. That man was one of those walkers!”
“What about Jackie?” I ran to her as she began bleeding out her mouth on the ground, “We can’t leave her here!”
“We have too! She’s going to become one of those things.” I didn’t move. I stayed by Jackie, but Daryl picked me up. I tried to wiggle out of his grip to go back to Jackie but I couldn’t. He was to strong. Daryl put me in the truck and drove to my house. We both got out of the truck and into my house. “Grab everything we need. We ain’t comin back!” I ran to my room putting clothes into one of my duffle bags as I cried over Jackie. Everything was moving so fast I didn’t really think I just grabbed clothes and things like my toothbrush and shampoo. “Ready?” Daryl asked holding bags of food. I nodded and we went back to the truck putting the stuff in the back next to Merle's motorcycle. We then got back in the truck.
“I can’t believe we just left her there to die.” I softly cried.
“I’m sorry, but we have to go to Atlanta. It’s safe there!”
“You honestly think we’re going to get in right away. Half the state is gonna try and get in.”
“Well we can find a place to stay. Wait it out a few days.” Daryl was right. “We got to go get Merle first.” I didn’t say anything. Daryl was driving towards my dad’s gun shop. When we got there Merle ran out with a bunch of guns and ammo.
“Is my dad there?” I yelled out to Merle.
“No. Sorry princess.” Merle threw all the guns and ammo in the back getting into the truck next to me. I continued to cry. This was all really happening. I saw people running for their lives on the streets, calling out for our help, and we just kept driving. My family could be dead for all I know. I took out my phone and called all my family members and no one answered. I was frustrated and scared and I just threw my phone on the floor of the truck and screamed. Daryl and Merle had each other, and yes I had them but my brothers; my father could all be gone. “We should head to the quarry. It’d be safe up there!” Merle suggested.
“Alright. Then we’ll go down to Atlanta.” Daryl explained to Merle. “We gotta get around Atlanta though. May take a few days. Got those tents in the back, set up camp here and there.” We drove for a few hours in the dark. The road was clear as we were the only one driving away from Atlanta. Daryl pulled up on the side of the road, “We’ll set up camp here.” Merle and Daryl got out the truck as I followed. Merle got a bunch of fire wood as Daryl began setting up the tent.
“Can I help you?” I asked Daryl.
“Na. Go get some food n start heatin it up over the fire once it’s up.” Daryl and Merle we’re good at this whole camping thing, I on the other hand wasn’t. When my brothers and dad would go camping I’d stay home with my mother. So thank goodness Daryl and Merle know what to do because I have no clue.
I looked through the bag of food Daryl had brought and it was just cans of corn and beans. I grabbed a can of corn and a spoon and waited for Merle to start the fire. Daryl didn’t bring any plants or anything to hold our food so we were going to have to eat right out the can. “Daryl let me see the keys.” Daryl tossed me the keys so I could open the can with it. Once the fire was up Merle took the can from me. I was glad he did because I had no clue how to set it up where it’d cook, but he did. I sat next to Daryl as we waited for the corn to cook. “Shouldn’t we stay in the truck with those things out here?” I asked.
“Well I’ll stay up. Keep an eye on camp.” Daryl said. Merle agreed with Daryl, but I didn’t. I’d like him to sleep in the tent with me but it was fine I guess. After we ate I went in the tent to sleep but we forgot to bring any pillows or blankets so we were sleeping on the ground in the cold. Great!
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyy so she isn't pregnant. I thought it'd be cool to have a little thing about it but it didn't really work out the way i wanted . lol :) Comment pretty please. Let me know what u think <3
PS i may post another chapter later tonight bc i wont be able to in the upcoming 3 days.