‹ Prequel: Castle Walls
Sequel: Love So Sweet

Tumble and Fall

11

"So....boyfriend?” Danny asked with a raised eyebrow, passing a bottle of water to Danni. “How did you meet?”

“I was passing through Edmonton and met Ryan, simple as that.”

“Nothing is ever simple with you,” Danny chuckled. “Are you spending the summer together?”

“I found a job.”

“In Edmonton?” Danni nodded. “You’re moving?”

“Already found a place.”

“Really?”

“Mm-hmm. The guys came to help me take my stuff back.”

“I’m guessing the guys didn’t know that you’re neighbors with me.”

“They know I’m a Flyers fan. My first Oilers game was against the Kings and I cheered for Richie and Carts.”

“But?”

“But I never mentioned knowing you or any of the other guys.”

“Why not?”

“I didn’t want them to think I was like a puck bunny or anything. So I didn’t mention you guys. Besides, I’m only friends with you.”

“What about Claude and Sean?”

Danni rolled her eyes. “I would hardly call Sean and I friends. He barely says two words to me when I’m here.”

“That’s because he likes you.”

“He does not!”

“Oh ma belle, but he does. He never says anything because he never knows what to say without getting tongue tied.”

“Danny! Why is the enemy in your driveway?” Claude yelled as the door slammed behind him.

“They are not the enemy; they’re your fellow countrymen!” Danny called back.

“And they’re with me!” Danni shouted.

“Hey! You’re home!” Claude said, pulling Danni from her chair to hug her. “What do you mean they’re with you?”

“It means Ryan and I are seeing each other.”

“As in he’s your boyfriend?” Danni nodded in agreement before Claude continued. “Sean is going to hate that.”

“Whatever. Where is the silent one?”

“Out front playing. Its Danny’s three versus Hartsy, Coots, and your Oiler.”

“My Oiler should be the ref. Justin is just my sidekick.”

“You have a sidekick now?”

“Of course. Him and Ry are roommates so naturally we’re like BFF’s.”

“So what are you going to do here all summer while he’s at home?”

“I’m not coming home this summer. I’m staying in Edmonton.”

“What?! You’re joking right?”

“You know I don’t kid, G.”

“Yeah but Edmonton? Really? You’re just up and moving, for a guy?”

“I got a job thankyouverymuch. I’ve been working since late April.”

“It’s June.”

“Schools out so I came for my stuff. My condo is kind of barren.”

“You have a place?”

“Well yeah. Did you expect me to live on the streets?”

“No but I also didn’t expect you to be living in Edmonton!”

A loud commotion of voices rang through the house and soon the four hockey players and the three Briere boys exploded into the kitchen. Cameron grabbed bottles of gatorade from the fridge and passed them out to everyone.

“Hey Danni,” Scott Hartnell said as he pulled her into a hug. “How are you?”

“I’m great, thank you for asking, Scott. How are you?”

“Can’t complain.”

“Hey Sean,” she continued, looking to the other Flyer in the kitchen. He waved and followed the three boys from the room. “Still a man of few words.”

“Yeah because he’s - oof! What the fuck, Briere?” Claude exclaimed. Danny shot him with a look and Claude stopped talked.

“Is anyone going to explain why there were two Oilers in Danny’s driveway?” Scott asked. “I know they said they were with Danni but that doesn't explain much. Weren’t you going to school in Ohio? Last I checked, that is nowhere near Canada.”

“I was traveling after graduation,” Danni explained. “Edmonton was my second stop and I met Ryan. Then I stumbled onto a job and now I’m living there.”

“You’re living in Edmonton?”

“Yep.”

“Edmonton?”

“Edmonton.”

“Oil country?”

“Oil country.”

“But...”

“Do I have to paint you a picture, Hartnell? Ryan is my boyfriend.”

“You’re dating an Oiler?!”

“Yes, Scott, I am dating an Oiler.”

“Is he treating you right?” he asked with narrowed eyes.

“Yes, Scott, he is treating me right.”

Scott turned to Ryan. “Are you treating her right?”

“I like to think so,” Ryan replied cautiously.

“If he weren’t being good to her, we’d kick his ass,” Justin spoke up. “He treats her like queen, trust me. They usually make me want to vomit with how cute and in sync they are. Sometimes Danni gets him to do things he never otherwise would though which is pretty awesome.”

“We who?” Claude asked.

“Me, Ebs, and Hallsy. Danni takes care of us so we take care of her.”

“Jesus, you make it sounds like I have a harem, Schultzy,” Danni complained. “I’m not Tyler Seguin.”

“I mean, we basically are. Ryan is just the only one getting the benefits.” Ryan flushed and Danni buried her head in her hands.

“Will you please shut up before you make this worse?”

“How can I make this worse? They didn’t know you were dating Ryan, we didn't know you knew them. I'd say you're screwed either way.”

“Fuck you, Schultz.”

“Look, I know you want me but we've talked about this. It would be wrong for us to do that to the Nuge. He’s sensitive and shit.”

Danni grabbed an apple from the counter and threw it at Justin. “Shut. Up.” He took a large bite of the apple and wandered from the room in the direction Sean and the boys had gone. Scott chuckled, shaking his head as he followed.

“How long have you two been seeing each other?” Danny asked.

“Almost two months,” Ryan answered, moving to stand behind Danni.

“You’re twenty?” Danny asked Ryan.

“Yes.”

“Does this line of questioning have a point?” Danni asked.

“How serious are you two?”

“Danny!” she exclaimed.

“You had to know he'd go into dad mode,” Claude laughed. “You know Danny doesn't think you should date a hockey player because he knows how we are.”

“Ryan isn’t like you though; you are a slut.”

“Perk of the job.”

“You are gross. Go hang out with Justin.”

“Is he a man-whore too?”

“Not as bad as Taylor but he did get the number of the girl at the car rental counter. She told him about some club he now insists we go to tonight.”

“Which one?”

“Rumor?”

“Yeah, that’s a good one. I’ll take you if you want.”

“When do you leave?” Danny asked.

“Probably Monday, Tuesday at the latest.” Danni glanced at the clock on the kitchen wall and stood up. “I told my mom we’d be back in an hour. She’s got dinner plans for us.”

“Why don’t we keep Justin and you and Ryan can go,” Claude suggested. “We’ll meet you at Rumor.”

“You don't mind?”

“Hell no; he’s young, girls will love him. He’s legal, right?”

“He’s 22.”

“Justin!” Claude yelled as he left the room.

“I’ll make sure Hartsy keeps an eye on him," Danny told her.

“Hartsy is worse than Claude,” Danni replied.

“He’s in,” Claude announced as he returned to the kitchen.

“Thanks, Claude.”

“No problem. I’ll have Justin text you, let you know when we head out.”

Danni walked into the other room, hugging each of the Briere boys and then Scott. She leaned over the couch and kissed the top of Sean’s head. Sean titled his head back to look at Danni.

“You’re happy?”

“Yep.”

“Good.” He smiled before returning to the game they were playing. Danni shook her head as she hugged Justin.

“Behave,” she told him.

“I’ll be a perfect angel,” he promised.

“Liar. Don’t let Claude talk you into anything stupid. Or Scott. They're very persuasive.”

“I’ll be good, I swear.” She kissed his cheek.

“See you guys later.” She walked back into the kitchen, slipping her hand into Ryan’s. “Ready?” she asked. He nodded and Danni said goodbye to the others before leading Ryan outside.

“So you know Briere?” Ryan asked as they walked back to Danni’s parents house.

“Since he signed with the Flyers and moved in next door. I used to baby sit the boys before I went to college when he was still married and then after I went to college, when I was home during the summers.”

“You never mentioned that.”

“I didn’t want you guys to think anything about me if you knew I knew a couple guys. I’m friends with Danny and that’s it. I met Sean last year when he moved in but we’ve never been close. Last summer I met Claude and Scott, one fourth of July weekend when they came to see Danny. They’re the only ones I’ve ever really met since everyone goes home in the summers and I was too young to be hanging around when I was still in high school. I’m sorry I didn't say anything. I should have before we got here.”

“I guess I can understand why you didn’t.”

“I swear I wasn’t trying to hide it. It’s just....damn it, this looks so much worse. I’m really sorry, Ry.” She stopped walking and he came to a stop with her.

“It’s okay, Danni, I swear. I understand.”

“I promise I have never dated any of them, never slept with any of them, no kissing, nothing. I just didn’t want you guys to think I was a bunny.”

“We never would’ve thought that you know.” He pulled her to him and hugged her.

“I didn’t even know what we were doing in the beginning and then it was so great and I just couldn't tell you.”

“I don’t care, Danni. You’re with me, right?”

“Yes.”

“Are there any other secrets I should know?”

“Danny and Claude think Sean has a crush on me. I think they're wrong.”

“Sean definitely has a crush on you,” Ryan chuckled. “I could tell by how he looked like he wanted to kill me and Justin when Justin told him we were there with you.”

“Oh.”

“How could you not know that?”

“I didn't think about Sean like that. He’s just...I don’t know, he’s Sean.” She scrunched up her nose. “He’s not you, that’s for sure.”

“Am I one of a kind?” Ryan asked.

“Very one of a kind,” Danni answered. “That’s why I love you.”

“You Danni Reid are like no one else I’ve ever met. Which is probably a good thing because if there were more than one of you, I’d probably meet my death. And that’s why I love you.”

“So since we’re in agreement on that, can I kiss you now?”

“You never need my permission for that. I do have an idea though."

“What’s that?”

Ryan tugged her closer and whispered in her ear. “Why don’t I try sneaking into your room tonight and hope not to get caught?”

Danni purred in response. “Ry...."

“I think it’s a good one for the bucket list. I’ve never snuck into a girls room before.”

“Never?”

“Never.” Danni held his face between her hands and kissed him.

“I’m so in.”