‹ Prequel: Castle Walls
Sequel: Love So Sweet

Tumble and Fall

4

Ryan headed back to his place after leaving Danni, bumming around the house since he wasn’t playing. Justin left an hour before he did, since he didn't need to get there quite as early. He dressed in a dark gray suit with a light gray dress shirt and skinny black tie. It was probably his favorite suit and he thought he looked good in it and he wanted to impress Danni. He paced around the condo before he finally walked down to his truck and drove over to pick up Danni. He texted her when he pulled int he parking lot and she appeared moments later out the front foor.

She walked to his truck, climbing in and throwing a bag in the backseat of the truck with a smile. “Do I look okay?” she asked. “I wanted to be dressed for after and not have to change but still comfortable for a game. Plus you know, I wasn't planning to meet the Edmonton Oilers while I was traveling through Canada and did not pack my best meet the queen outfit.”

“You look beautiful,” Ryan said. She was wearing a three quarter sleeve navy lace shirt and dark blue skinny jeans tucked into brown knee high boots. He reached behind him and handed her one of his white jerseys. “That’s for you.”

“Thanks, Ry. I’ll make sure its still in one piece at the end of the night when I give it back.”

“It’s yours, to keep.”

“I can’t keep this.”

“Yes you can. I want you to have it.”

“Well thank you.” She leaned over and kissed his cheek.

“We have time to grab a quick dinner if you want.”

“Okay,” Danni agreed, settling into her seat. Ryan pulled out into traffic and made the drive to a place near the arena he liked. They ordered and ate and an hour later, Ryan was pulling into the players lot. He parked and made Danni wait so he could open her door for her. She pulled his jersey on once she was out of the truck.

“So which way to will call?” she asked.

“Up that hill and to the right is the front entrance,” Ryan answered.

She nodded. “Got it. I guess I’ll see you after?”

Ryan froze. He had forgotten about that and wasn’t sure how to get Danni down to the locker room after the game. “Text me where you’re sitting when you're inside. I’ll make sure someone comes and gets you after.”

“Will do.” She hugged him and turned to head up the hill. “Ryan?” she said, turning back. He looked up at her expectantly. “You look really hot. Just wanted you to know that.” She waved and walked away, leaving him with a shocked expression on his face.

~*~*~


Just so you know, you’d be nothing without Justin. Apparently he thinks things through better than you. There was a pass with my ticket. I have no idea where to go but I’ll figure it out.

I’ll thank him after the game. Where did he get you a seat?

Behind the Kings bench. :)

What a suck up.

You’re just jealous you didn’t ask me first because he’s reaping the brownie points. By the way, after I got inside, I ditched your jersey and put on my Richards shirsey. Pretty sure they noticed all that pretty orange behind the bench. I think Mike even smiled at me.

You did not.

I did.


Danni turned to the girl in the seat beside her and smiled brightly. “I am so sorry to bother you, but would you mind taking my picture?”

“Sure.”

“Thanks.” Danni stood, her back to the ice and held her two thumbs up as the girl took a photo. She took the phone back with a polite thank you and sent it to Ryan.

You were not kidding.

I don’t kid. Richards was my favorite Flyer. And then we traded him and I wanted to go on a murderous rampage.

So you’re not going to wear my jersey?

Second period.

You’re going to switch in the middle of the game?

Sure. Why not?

You are going to get so much shit from the people around you.

I know. Good thing I’m really good at chirping back. Although....if I get arrested, is it okay if you’re my one phone call? Can you afford to bail me out of jail? If that is not cool, can you give Justin’s number so he can be my one phone call?

Please don’t get arrested.

I will try really hard. Oh! It’s almost game time! See you after! Or between periods. Wanna meet up and make out? We haven’t done that yet and I bet there are some seriously great stairwells in this building....


Ryan blushed furiously as he read Danni’s reply and very nearly hyperventilated when his phone dinged at him again.

Are you blushing yet? I like it when you blush.

I’m blushing.

So adorable. So first intermission?

You’re serious?

I told you I don’t kid. Haven't you ever wondered what it’d be like to make out with a girl wearing your jersey? Isn’t that like every hockey boys fantasy?

I think that’s sex while wearing my jersey.


“Fuck,” he muttered aloud after hitting send. Why didn't this phone have an undo button?

“Everything okay, Ryan?” Miranda asked as she sat beside him. He slid his phone into his pocket and looked up at the woman who coordinated all the ticket needs for the players as well as an array of other requests.

“Yeah, fine,” he stuttered.

Miranda smiled. “So who is the girl Justin needed a last minute ticket for?”

“Um, that was actually for me.”

“For you? You have a girl here? Why isn’t she sitting up here?”

“Justin didn’t think that was a great idea.”

“Why in the world would you let Justin make these kinds of decision?”

“She’s from Philly and Mike Richards is her favorite player.”

Miranda nodded knowingly. “You know I’m from Vancouver, right?” Ryan nodded. “I sit in the stands when we play them because I cheer for the Canucks while wearing a Kesler jersey.”

“You do not.”

“I do. Were you texting her?”

“Yes.”

“What’s her name?”

“Danni.”

“Justin had me leave her a pass to get down stairs after.”

“She told me.”

“Does she know how to get there?”

“No.”

“I’ll meet her after, get her down there. Don’t worry. Let her know to wait for me.”

“Thanks, Miranda.”

“No problem.” She patted his shoulder. “I’ll let you get back to it.”

“Hey Miranda?”

“Yeah?”

“If I wanted to see her, between periods, where could we meet that no one would see? Like a stairwell maybe?”

“The south stairwell. You have to pass a security checkpoint to get in or out of that stairwell.”

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” she smiled.

Ryan pulled his phone out to read the messages he had missed from Danni.

I’m impressed, Mr. Nugent-Hopkins. Just putting it all right out there. Hot.

Hello? Did you die from embarrassment?

Holy shit. You’re actually dead right now and someone is reading through this and posting it on the internet, aren’t they?

Ryan? Seriously, if I went too far, I’m sorry. I was only joking.


Danni chewed her bottom lip nervously, willing her phone to ding. It had been fifteen minutes since Ryan’s last text and nothing. They were ten minutes into the first period and in the midst of an official time out when her phone went off and she let out a held breath.

Sorry; I got pulled away. I promise I’m not dead. Well, I don’t think so at least. There is a stairwell not far from your seats. Go to the top of the stairs and turn left. It should be about twenty feet from there on the concourse. Go up one flight.

You’re seriously going to meet me in a stairwell?!

Now that you got me thinking about it, yes. See you at the end of the period. Wear my jersey.


Ryan wasn’t sure when he got so bold but he was pretty sure it had something to do with the fact that Danni wasn’t actually in front of him and that she couldn’t look him in the eye as he sent her the text. He fidgeted nervously in his seat as the minutes slowly ticked by, his fingers drumming against his knee. With two minutes left in the period, he excused himself from the room, smiled at the security lady sitting at the entrance to the south stairwell and walked down three flights to the main concourse level.

“Can I help you?” the security guard asked looking up from his table.

“Yes sir, you can. There is a really pretty brunette that is going to come up to you in a few minutes wearing an Oilers jersey, my jersey. Her name is Danni and I need you to let her through.”

“Sure thing Mr. Nugent-Hopkins.”

“Thanks.” Ryan headed back up a flight of stairs and leaned against the wall to wait.

After the whistle blew for the end of the period, Danni pulled on Ryan’s jersey and made her way up the aisle, repeating Ryan’s directions in her head. She headed towards the stairwell he had indicated and frowned when she saw the security guard blocking her way. She stepped hesitantly towards him and he looked up with a smile.

“Danni?”

“Yes.”

He stepped back and held the door open for her. “Go ahead.”

“Thank you.” She darted past him and made her way up the stairs. She stopped when she saw Ryan and smiled shyly at him as he pushed off the wall and walked towards her.

“Hey,” he said quietly.

“Hey.”

“I think you promised me making out.” Danni blushed. ”I made you blush?”

“Yeah, you made me blush,” Danni said. “So making out in a stairwell?”

“I met this girl and she’s got me crossing things off a bucket list I didn't even know I had. Go mini golfing. Eat junk food in bed. Eat ice cream the night before a game. Dine and dash. Making out in a stairwell seemed like the next obvious step.”

Danni reached out, grasping Ryan’s tie in her hands and pulling him down to her. Her lips claimed his and she pushed him back towards the wall, never pulling away from him. She let her hand slip down his tie as Ryan wrapped his arm around her, pulling her body close to his.

Danni’s tongue traced his lower lip and she nipped him gently before his lips parted and her tongue darted past his, tangling with each other. She reached for him, pushing her fingers through his hair and tugging the ends.

Above them, a door banged open and they broke apart abruptly, breathless and panting as the air returned to their lungs. They could hear one side of a phone conversation floating down to them and Danni giggled, burying her face in Ryan’s chest.

“That was exciting,” she said. “Your heart is pounding.”

“We could’ve gotten caught.”

“That’s the exciting part!”

“Everyone knows who I am.”

“Again, that’s the exciting part!” She looked up at him with a smile and kissed him. “You missed out on all the good stuff as a teenager, didn’t you?”

“Probably.”

“Wanna try skinny dipping next?”

Ryan stared at her like she had grown three heads. “Are you serious?”

“What did I tell you before?”

“That you don’t kid.”

“Exactly. So skinny dipping? I saw that your building has a pool. Is it heated? It’s still a little chilly here.”

“I don’t know...”

“I bet Justin knows. I’ll ask him.”

“You can’t ask him that.”

“Why not?”

“Because then he’ll invite himself along.”

“So we are skinny dipping then. I knew you’d see things my way.” In the distance they heard the music announcing the return of the players to the ice for the second period. “I better go. I don’t want to miss any of the action. What if Mike scores?”

“Wait at your seat after the game. Miranda is going to meet you and bring you downstairs.”

“Okay.” She turned to leave and Ryan caught her hand.

“Next period?”

“See you in twenty!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I took liberties in creating this stairwell. But come on! Who doesn't want to meet a hockey boy in a stairwell for making out? ;)