‹ Prequel: Castle Walls
Sequel: Love So Sweet

Tumble and Fall

9

Six weeks later and Ryan was bored. His surgery had gone great but he couldn’t do anything. The season had officially ended two weeks after his surgery and Jordan and Taylor had already left for home three weeks ago. Justin was sticking around a little longer, keeping Ryan and Danni company.

Danni had stayed with Justin and Ryan for her first two weeks in Edmonton but now was staying in her own place. Justin had found it on his way home from the rink after practice before the season had ended. It was perfect, since it was only located two floors below where they lived. She let herself into Justin and Ryan’s place after returning home from work. There had been an immediate opening and Danni had thrown herself right into work. Now with the school year coming to an end, Danni figured now was as good a time as any to head home and collect her things.

“Hey Justin,” Danni called out, dropping groceries in the kitchen to cook dinner later.

“Hey Danni. Ryan is moping.”

“Of course he is. Where is he?”

“His room.”

“I can hear you talking about me!” Ryan yelled from his room. Danni snickered and sat down on the couch next to Justin.

“I was thinking,” she said quietly, "that maybe you and Ryan could go with me to Philly and then me and you can drive back with my stuff? Ry will just have to suffer as a passenger.” She shrugged. “I thought it’d be good for him to get out of Edmonton.”

“A road trip?” Justin asked. “That could be tons of fun.”

“Here’s the thing though.....I don’t have a car. So I was thinking we could fly there and then rent something to drive back?”

“Let’s take Ryan’s truck.”

“Yeah, I don’t know if I want to spend that much time stuck in a vehicle with you. One way might be all I can handle.”

“Alright, then when do you want to leave?”

“Next Friday? School is done Wednesday but I’m obligated for a few things on Thursday.We can hang out for the weekend and start to head back Monday or Tuesday?”

“I’m down. When are you two heading to Burnaby?

“As soon as Ry gets the okay to start rehab so hopefully two more weeks. I think he’s going to go stir crazy before then though.”

“What are you two planning?” Ryan asked suspiciously as he came into the living room.

“Nothing!” they trilled in unison.

“I don’t believe you.” He fell onto the couch beside them.

“Wanna go on a road trip?” Danni asked, moving to sit beside him, leaning in to kiss him.

“With you?”

“Me and Justin.”

“To where?”

“Philly. I need to get my stuff. My place is lonely. I have a bed, that you bought. And a couch, that Justin bought. And a TV, that Jordan bought. That’s it.”

“You forgot the Xbox.”

“My apologies. I also have an Xbox so if you guys come over, you can play Call of Duty.”

“Didn’t Taylor get you a housewarming gift before he left?” Justin asked.

“He got me my iPad.”

“Oh yeah.”

“What’s the plan?” Ryan asked.

“I thought we could fly to Philly and rent something to drive back. I already checked and I can rent an SUV to get us back. And Justin and I can share the driving.”

Ryan pouted. “All I can do is sit.”

“Not true,” Danni said. “You’ll be the most important piece of this.”

“What’s that?”

“Navigator. So Justin doesn't get lost.”

“I’m a dude; we don’t get lost. It’s you that we should worry about getting lost,” Justin piped up. “On account of you being a girl and all. In fact, I'm going to check on my life insurance before we leave, in case you’re a terrible drive to boot.”

“I am not a terrible driver! Tell him Ryan.”

“She’s not that terrible,” Ryan allowed.

“Ryan!” She slapped his good arm lightly.

“What?”

“You’re supposed to take my side. Girlfriend trumps teammate.”

Justin laughed. “Bros before hos.”

“Ugh! You’re disgusting. I’m not feeding you tonight.”

“Danni!” Justin whined. “You have to feed me. I’ll die of starvation if you don’t.”

“I’m sure you can manage. You can make grilled cheese.”

“But it’s better when you do it with the bacon and the tomato and avocado and the fancy cheese.” He groaned and licked his lips. “Now I can't stop thinking about that sandwich. Please tell me that’s what you’re making for dinner.”

It had been the second meal she had ever made for the guys and they had asked for it constantly ever since. She had made it again on Jordan and Taylor’s last night in Edmonton but not since. She knew Ryan was upset about the way the season had ended and not playing in the last handful of games for the season. As everyone else went home for the summer, his moods had grown more and more sullen. Danni hoped the favorite meal and the suggestion for the road trip would help him out of his funk.

“If you feed Justin, I’ll go,” Ryan said. “And I’ll be happy and smile,” he finished, reading her thoughts.

“I just want to see you smile,” Danni said, kissing his cheek.

“I know you do. Thanks for putting up with me. I know I’ve been a jerk.”

“You haven't been a jerk,” she said softly.

“I have been.”

“Okay, maybe a little.”

“I’m bored and miserable. And I miss you staying with me.”

“Well, since it’s Friday, I can stay tonight and tomorrow if you want me to. I have to be up bright and early Monday morning so you can’t have me Sunday night.”

“I could stay with you,” Ryan suggested. “I know you don’t want to stay here so you don’t bother Justin since you have to get up so early but if I’m at your place, then it doesn’t matter.”

“You’ve never stayed with me.”

“But I did buy you a bed that would more than accommodate the both of us. Why do you think I got the king sized bed instead of the full size you were looking at?”

“Because you like to throw money around like it grows on trees.”

“It doesn’t?” he teased. He pulled Danni under his arm and held her against him. “What do you want to do when we’re in Philly?”

“Can I take you guys to the Rocky stairs?”

“Sure. Anything else?”

“Well, I thought we’d stop by the Wells Fargo Center.”

“Why?”

“Because someone I know needs a shirt for next season.”

Ryan groaned. “I was hoping you’d forgotten about that.”

“Fat chance, Nuge.”

“Are you two done being cute with each other?” Justin asked. “You make me want to barf.”

“Now I know I'm not making you dinner,” Danni retorted as she stood up. “Come on Ry, I’ll make you dinner at my place.”

“I didn't mean it, Danni! I’m sorry. Please don’t leave!” Justin begged.

Danni smirked and held up her pinky finger at him. “I've got you right where I want you now.” Justin frowned and grumbled to himself.

“Stupid girls.”
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys!! You have to poke me. I'm so distracted writing this Staal story that I forget I owe you updates to this. I'm such a terrible person. :(