Gun Moll

It's a long way down, If you're getting this high

“Giselle, I got that information for you.” Maggie, a fellow writer, states as she walks into my office holding up a manila folder. “Brad was getting pretty curious of what I was doing when I was looking through the archives but I think he just shrugged it off.” The dark skinned girl laughs. Since coming here, Maggie has be the only co-worker that accepted me. She’s my only friend in this place and I’m grateful for her.

“You’re a doll, Maggie.” I tell her as she walks into my office more, taking a seat in one of the chairs in front of my desk.

“I’m just wondering why you’re going through all the old archives one by one.” She states, “are you looking for something?”

“How long have you been working here Maggie?” I ask her.

“Only a little over a year.” She replies, “why are you asking?”

“So you took your job knowing this paper was corrupted years ago?” I ask, earning a nod from her. “Do you know the story?”

“Brad never talks about it, either do any of the writers and editors that have been here since the beginning.” She replies, “I’ve always wondered what was going on but thought it was probably nonsense.”

“Well I want to know what’s going on in this company and why they needed new head writers.” I tell her, “I’m going to trough all the old archives until I find what I’m looking for. If you want in---”

“I want in.” She smiles, “and I think I know someone here that can help us. He’s been working here for a couple years. He’s an editor but that’s not why he’s helpful. He also hacks computer systems on the side.”

“And you know this how?” I ask, a tone of amusement in my voice.

“I asked him how I can get into my ex-boyfriend’s computer and he did it for me for 50 bucks.” She shrugs, “he’s good at what he does and I believe he could help us hack into the old system they have in the back. From what I heard, that’s the Holy Grail of Gazette history.”

“How about this,” I begin, “at lunch we head over to the coffee shop on the corner; we’ll be able to talk to freely there.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Maggie smiles before getting up from her seat. “I’ll inform Vincent of the plan.”

“Thanks Maggie.” I smile as she walks away, waving goodbye. As she walks out of my office, I see Brad looking in with a questioning look. I just roll my eyes as Maggie closes the door and I get back to typing up my newest story…

Dominic

“Why isn’t this girl being taken care of?” My father yells, throwing a picture of Giselle down onto his desk.

“She doesn’t know anything!” I exclaim, “I’m not going to pay her off and risk her getting curious and start snooping around.”

“You better hope she doesn’t get curious!” He yells, causing everyone around to look the other way, not wanting to see a father and his son fight. “Because if I hear that she starts snooping around our family, you’re finished.”

“Yes father.” I mutter before walking out of his office, slamming the door behind me.

“You can’t let him get to you Dom.” Treasure says as she comes running towards me. “He’s just pushing your buttons.”

“I’ve failed in his eyes and I’ve been trying my damnedest to get back in his good graces; that man is impossible.” I mutter as we head to the bar. Treasure walks behind and starts pouring me a scotch on the rocks.

“He doesn’t remember what it’s like to be young and in love.” She tells me, sliding me over my drink. “He doesn’t remember the mistakes he made when it come to your mother.”

“I don’t think he ever loved her.” I truthfully say. “He wouldn’t be acting the way he is if he did.”

“He’s dealing with this his own way, Dom, you can’t hate him for it.” She says, putting her hand on mine. “I know you don’t want to picture a life without your mom, but you’re gonna have to.”

“I know.” I mutter. “I just don’t want to lose the only woman in this world that’ll love me no matter what I do.”

“You still have me and the girl you’ve been seeing.” Treasure smiles, “when are you going to tell your dad you’ve been hanging out with the enemy?”

“She’s not the enemy.” I assure her, “she’s just a sweet girl with an insatiable taste for danger.

“You said the same thing about Lacey.” A groan escapes my lips at the name. I wish I could go back in time and prevent myself from making the biggest mistake of my life…
♠ ♠ ♠
Giselle
Dominic

chapter title credit: Don't Know How To Stop by Halestorm

comment&subscribe? Added new characters to the character page; some of which will be making their debut in the next chapter...