Status: Complete!

Truck Stops and Statelines

saturday

Day Six.


“If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.”

That’s how the saying goes, right?

Maybe it’s a good a book with a fantastic plot and as you’re reading; you think your eyes have never seen something so magnificent, so beautiful. But then you reach the end and you’re hit with the most heart-wrenching plot twist ever encountered. Something in the back of your mind told you that it was too perfect, too wonderful, but you ignored it and continued reading with nothing but ignorance floating in your head.

Then it hits you; that harsh ending that you weren’t expecting. The one that makes you want to reach inside your body and pull out your heart in one swift motion. It’s like your life comes crashing down around you and you have no idea what to do with yourself.

Or maybe it’s a relationship. Couples can often be oblivious to what is happening around them, too caught up and secure in their own little bubble that they don’t realize there are serious issues that need to be addressed. Everything seems so carefree and happy that no one bothers to check for complications.

It was Saturday, which meant that tomorrow was the end. Currently, Vic and Kellin were driving through Alabama, both of them keeping quiet, their thoughts obviously somewhere else. With just one day left, this meant that the big decision was too be made very soon.

As of right now, everything seemed fine. They were happy again, kissing and holding hands like they used to. Earlier that morning Kellin had gone out of his way to pick up breakfast and surprise Vic back at the motel. It was such a simple gesture, but it was one that Vic noticed right away. It was one that the old Kellin would do.

“What are you thinking about?” Kellin finally broke the silence as Vic turned off the car. His ex-boyfriend had been quiet, almost too quiet and for Vic, that was unusual. He was either always humming or talking, singing or making noise. Even when he was angry.

Vic simply shrugged, grabbing his bag and motioning for Kellin to do the same. “Tomorrow, I guess.” His words were soft as he bit his lip in thought. “Just like what we’re going to do.” What Vic wanted was for him and Kellin to enjoy Disney World together as a happy couple. They could spend the entire day there and then go back to the hotel, a fancy one at that, and then they’d spend a free day in Florida before making their way back home. It sounded nice, awesome, but he wasn’t sure if Kellin felt the same way.

The younger of the two sighed and followed Vic as he stepped out of the car. “Here’s what’s going to happen tomorrow,” he began as he took Vic’s hand in his. “We’re going to go to Disney World and we’re going to spend the entire day together. I’m not gonna leave your side for a second. Then the day after we’ll go to the beach, does that sound good? After our fun day at the beach we’ll head back home to California. Together.”

“Promise?” Vic murmured as he tried to keep himself together. The past few days have been an emotional rollercoaster and right now he was trying his hardest not to cry. He was always the one in the relationship to express his feelings.

“I promise.” Kellin leaned forward, pressing his lips to Vic’s softly and smiling into the kiss when Vic hooked an arm around his neck to keep him close. “Now come on, a water park is waiting.” He smirked, dragging Vic along towards the entrance of the park.

---


“Uh, no. Definitely not.” Vic crossed his arms over his chest in defiance. They stood at top of the Upsurge, which was a whole 5-story tower walk and Vic continued his protests as he looked over and down at the attraction just underneath them. Basically, it was 216-feet of pure torture that the older male had no interest in experiencing.

Kellin groaned grabbing onto Vic’s waist and bringing him back so he was firmly planted against his chest. “Vic, it is fine, I promise.” He murmured, his damp body encasing Vic in a tight embrace. “Just some twists and turns and then we’re done.”

“Just some twists and turns? Kellin, are you crazy? I’m not doing it.” Vic huffed, pushing the boy away to stand on the opposite side so they weren’t holding up the line. It wasn’t that he was afraid, exactly; it was just that he didn’t see the thrill of this particular slide. If you could even call it that.

“There’s an option for a double inner tube. Babe, we’ll go together.” Kellin insisted. He knew Vic had an unspoken fear of heights, but this was something they could do together and he wasn’t taking no for an answer. “Please, please, please.” He was practically acting like a child now, but he knew that if he kept begging and pleading, Vic would agree.

It took a few more minutes of convincing, but with some kind, and a few dirty, words, Vic had agreed to go down the torturous slide as long as Kellin went with him. He screamed the entire time and once they reached the bottom, he said he hated it, but the smile on his face showed Kellin otherwise.

The rest of the day was pretty much spent in the water either on slides, in the pool, or just floating along the lazy river. It was a busy day at the park, seeing as how it was a Saturday in the middle of the summer, but it was still pretty nice. Kellin eventually shrugged off his usual hate for busy places and was able to focus on what was most important. And that was Vic.

Tomorrow he had every intention making the decision to stay with the older boy and he knew that Vic felt the same. They weren’t leaving each other, not again. Things were getting fixed, being worked on; at least that’s what Kellin thought.

Right now they were taking a break from the water and the sun, finding shade under an umbrella and eating food to keep them energized. The weather was hot and sticky and it seemed the only chance for relaxation was in the water, but for now, they’d endure the heat for a little alone time.

Vic watched as Kellin gracefully ate his soft pretzel, using the nacho cheese provided every so often. Little crumbs would get stuck to his lips and Vic would laugh, which only caused Kellin to shoot him confused glances. It was nice, but still, Vic had questions that plagued his thoughts. Concerns he had that needed to be voiced, he just didn’t know where to start.

But if Kellin was serious about getting back together and staying together, then he had to know.

“Kellin?” Vic broke the boy’s concentration on his food to get his attention. Immediately, Kellin stopped eating, placing the pretzel on in the container and sliding it away for the moment.

“Yeah?” His curiosity got the better of him. The look in Vic’s eyes wasn’t normal. He almost looked sad in a way and Kellin didn’t like it. At all.

Vic took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a second before opening them to focus on Kellin’s beautiful face. “I know you cheated…” He started out in a whisper, his face falling at the thought of Kellin with other men. It wasn’t something he liked to think about, but it was something that had to be brought out in the open. It couldn’t be ignored anymore.

“Vic, I’m so sorry, I just-“

“I’m not finished.” Vic said calmly, but with a small smile so Kellin would know he wasn’t upset. “I know you had your reasons and although it really breaks my heart, I forgive you. It was a mistake, in the past, and I forgive you.” His words seemed to calm Kellin down a bit, but still, the other boy was on edge ready to beg for forgiveness at Vic’s feet if need be. “I just want to know how many times.”

“Six,” Kellin blurted out without thinking. This was something he couldn’t hide from Vic anymore. The boy asked a question, he was going to get an honest answer, even if Kellin didn’t want to admit it. “It was six times and I hate myself every day because of it. I’m so sorry, Vic. It meant nothing. Absolutely nothing. If I could go back in time and take it all back, I would. I’m such a fucking idiot. You know that. And I know you said you forgive me, but I’m still so, so sorry.”

Hearing the number six sent a wave of sadness through Vic. Six times Kellin had been with someone else. Six times he had been moaning another man’s name. Six times Kellin had been in someone else’s bed. Six times Vic was out of sight, out of mind. “I…” Vic tried to speak, but found the words missing. What could he even say?

“I know, I know. Fuck, Vic. I’m so sorry.” Kellin stood from his place at the table and moved to the side Vic was occupying, wrapping a strong arm around him. “You can hate me if you want to, I understand.”

Vic shook his head, little water droplets falling from the ends of his hair. “I don’t hate you, Kellin. I’m just…surprised.” His gaze fell to the table, his appetite suddenly gone. “Was it more than one person?” He asked although he was positive he didn’t want the answer. He needed to know anyway.

Kellin didn’t say anything. All he could do was nod his head in shame.

“How many?”

“Three.” Kellin admitted.

“Oh my God.” Vic stood up quickly, throwing Kellin’s arm off of him. Three different men. It wasn’t just one, but three different fucking men.

“Vic, please…” Kellin stood up and followed him, leaving his food behind. “I’m so sorry. I can’t say it enough.”

Vic raised his hand to silence the younger male. “It’s fine.” He said through clenched teeth. “I said I forgive you, remember?” It was hard to say that, but before the conversation even started Vic had accepted Kellin’s apology and he wanted this relationship to work. They could get through this. They were Kellin and Vic. “It’s done, right?”

“Finished.” Kellin responded quickly. It was done. Every fling, affair, and one night stand he had was over. Sometimes the guys would still try to contact him, but he always turned them down.

“Then it’s fine.” Vic mumbled quietly, taking in a deep breath to process. “Let’s please just go.”

---


It was late at night. Kellin was sleeping soundly in the bed next to Vic, his hair still damp from the water park earlier in the day and his face already red with a sunburn that would probably be a pain tomorrow. He looked beautiful still, snoring quietly with his lips slightly parted. A stray hair made its way to his face, finding home just at the corner of his eye. Vic smiled, bringing a hand up to softly push the hair away when the vibration of Kellin’s phone startled him.

The object was placed on the table where the television rested and it kept going off. Vic noted them as text messages; one right after the other. Recently, he recognized that Kellin’s phone had been going off a lot lately, but he chose to ignore it thinking maybe it was one of his friends back home trying to get in contact with him. Kellin always told his friends everything, unless it was a personal relationship problem. Those he’d always find comfort with in alcohol.

Curiosity got the better of Vic and he slinked out of bed away from Kellin’s warm side and gingerly tiptoed to the space across the room. It’s not that he was interested in reading the messages; he just wanted to know what was so urgent that five text messages were a necessity.

Picking up Kellin’s phone, his heart stopped. The name flashed across the screen once more as a new message popped up.

From Paul:
Kellin, baby, come on answer.

This wasn’t right. Who the hell was Paul and why was he texting Kellin these types of things? Kellin had said that the cheating was done and over with so there had to be a better explanation for this, right?

Vic slid the lock, needing to know what the other messages said. He probably shouldn’t be looking at Kellin’s phone, but he was past the point of no return now. His finger found its way to the message icon, tapping it gently to bring up the page where five more messages from this Paul guy were.

From Paul:
Kel, I’m thinking we need to hook up again. You interested?

From Paul:
You there? Look, I know it’s been a while so if you’re pissed at me for not calling or something, I’m sorry.

From Paul:
Okay, I’ll be blunt, I just want to fuck.

From Paul:
Come on babe, you know I’m the best you’ve ever had. You said so yourself.

From Paul:
You’re not still with that stupid little boyfriend are you? I thought you were leaving him?

Vic had enough. He clutched the phone tightly in his hand as he glanced over at the sleeping boy in the bed. Kellin lied to him. He wasn’t done cheating. If he was, Paul wouldn’t be sending him these messages. These horrible, horrible messages.

Kellin said this stranger was the best he’s ever had? He told this person that he was going to leave Vic?

Honestly, Vic didn’t know what was worse. Kellin lying or the fact that he said these things to a complete stranger; someone he was fucking on the side.

Before he could stop himself, he walked over to bed, pushing Kellin harshly. “Get the fuck up!” Vic screamed, tears already making their way down his face. “You lied to me, Kellin! You fucking lied!”

Kellin’s eyes went wide as he tried to wake himself from his sleepy state. He looked over at Vic who was crying and shaking uncontrollably. “Vic, baby, what’s-“

“No!” Vic spat, throwing Kellin’s phone at him. “Don’t you ever call me that again! I’m not your fucking baby. I hate you!” He backed himself against the table, crumpling to the ground as he brought his knees to his chest. “How could you do this? How could you just lie?”

“Vic, please!” Kellin shot off the bed, running to Vic’s side only to be stopped as Vic scooted away from him. “What did I do? Please, tell me what I did wrong!”

“Y-you l-lied, Kellin. You lied!” Vic cried, his eyes glancing up to meet Kellin’s. “I saw your phone! I saw him texting you!”

Kellin frowned in confusion, his heart breaking as he watched Vic cry. “Who? What are you talking about?”

“Paul!” Vic screamed as he stood up. “I read your messages, Kellin. The ones he just sent you. You were still screwing around behind my back. You were going to leave me! You said he was b-better than me! You betrayed m-me!”

“Vic, please…” Kellin begged, tears springing to his eyes as he tried so desperately to get Vic to understand. “You’ve got it wrong. I’m not still doing it, I promise. He-“

“Save it for someone who gives a shit, Kellin. I’m so fucking done.” Vic grabbed his keys, bolting for the door. With one last hurtful glance at the boy he used to love, he ran out of the room and to his car.

Where he was going, he had no idea; he just knew he was done with Kellin. For good this time. He shouldn’t be surprised. Kellin’s recent change in behavior was just too good to be true.
♠ ♠ ♠
This has one more chapter left. Which is probably a good thing bc no one reads this okay.