Run

Reanimation

Second hour writing on Thursday was an interesting lesson. The teacher-whose name I could not remember- wanted us to write a creative piece that involved an incident from our life somehow. He said we could change the incident as much as we liked as long as it was realistic to our circumstances. We were in the school library for that lesson, researching different authors and the way they planned and produced sections of writing. It was the first chance I’d had to get access to the internet and I was looking forward to finding out some answer to my millions of questions. This was also the class I had both Damien and Quinn in, although Damien still wasn't talking to me. Quinn sat in the small computer booth beside me and began his own research. I flicked him a glance before opening a browser and typing in ‘necromancy’. I clicked search and groaned when more than a million hits came up. Who was I kidding; this was going to take more than hour of class time. Quinn glanced at me and my computer screen before I had the chance to close the tab. His eyebrows pulled together over icy eyes.
“Necromancy?” He murmured. “What are you looking that up for?” I clicked the small red ‘x’ at the top of the browser and shrugged.
“Curiosity,” I said and tried to play it off as such. I should have known lying wouldn't work. He was a wolf too of course. Quinn lifted an eyebrow at me to say as much. I sighed and shook my head. “It’s kind of a long story.”
“Well you can tell me during second break, we’ll go somewhere,” he said. I was about to protest when he stuck his fingers in his ears and said, “I’m not listening.” I pressed my lips together to keep from smiling at his forthrightness. I opened my mouth and he started making that absurd sound that children make to show you that they’re not listening. I grabbed both his hands and yanked them away from his head.
“Fine,” I said. “But you have to promise not to tell anyone.”
A childish grin lit up his features. “Pinkie swear.” He held out his pinkie finger to me and I couldn't help smiling in return.
“Pinkie swear,” I replied and linked my pinkie finger with his. I sucked my lower lip into my mouth and looked away from him. Quinn was really getting under my skin. I needed to put some distance between us, but I kind of didn't want to. I wanted Quinn, possibly more than anyone else. Wow, I mused to myself; that was the first time I’d let myself admit that I had something for Quinn. I pulled away from him and tried to focus on something else. My eyes fell on Damien who sat slumped at one of the tables, his head buried into his arms on the table before him. I was still worried about Damien, but I couldn't get him alone long enough to ask again. Damien was avoiding me; he wouldn't come near me in class or at break times. He always disappeared so fast that it was impossible to catch him after classes had finished. I was at a loss for what to do.

I paced the empty courtyard, my heels shattering the silence around me. My slim silver phone felt hot in my hands. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do about the whole Damien situation, but I knew I needed help, help from someone that knew him. I sighed and paused in my pacing to look at the screen. I made a noise of frustration and dialled Emilia’s number. I pressed the phone to my ear and waited. It was agonising waiting for Emilia to pick up the phone.
She all but screamed my name when she picked up the phone. “Ashra!”
“Nice to hear from you too,” I said softly. “Hey, not to be rude or anything, but I have to ask you something.”
I could almost feel the change in her emotions. “Oh? This sounds serious, are you okay?”
“Yeah, I’m fine, it’s not about me,” I said, feeling more than a little impatient. I glanced up at the surrounding windows. I didn't want Damien knowing that I was digging for information about him.
“So what’s this about then?” I could hear her moving around on the other end of the line, a door shut softly and I could almost picture her sitting on her bed with her legs crossed. A sense of longing hit me and I paused at the thought that I might be homesick. I realised with a start that Emilia was calling my name.
“Sorry,” I murmured. “Um, Damien’s been acting really strange lately. I wanted to know if he’s said anything or if you know anything at all.”
“Can’t help you there, sorry,” she said. “I haven’t heard from Damien since the two of you left.”
I sighed and tried not to let the feeling of defeat consume me. “He’s changed, Emilia, I’m worried about him.”
There was silence on the other end of the line. Emilia knew something that I didn't; at least she was acting like she did. I wanted her to tell me on her own, but I didn't have time to slowly pull the truth from her.
“Emilia, if you know something, I need to know,” I said softly. Technically I was still higher in the pack than she was; she still had to follow orders. I could tell she was nervous, I could almost feel her nerves even if I was so far away. “Emilia,” I said, letting my pack heritage flow through into my words. She sighed softly on the other end.
“Your father forbade me,” she whispered. I repeated her name again and I could tell it was starting to work. I smiled in satisfaction; I liked knowing that my own words had as much sway as my fathers did. “Fine,” she murmured. “But I didn't tell you!”
“Don’t worry Em,” I said and tried not to let the smugness I felt into my voice. Emilia’s heartbeat was quite erratic as she told me about my father’s plan to send Damien with me to the school. Emilia explained that it wasn't for my safety or protection, but more for answers. My father needed to know what was going on at the school and the only way he was going to get them was if he had someone on the inside.
“Why not let me do it?” I asked, I had a feeling I already knew the answer to this.
“He didn't want you involved,” she said. “For your protection, but also because if the pack thought that you were some way involved with all that’s been going on then they wouldn't accept you as there leader.”
“I’m not meant to be the next alpha anyway,” I muttered bitterly. Females weren't in the line of succession. I’d be challenged almost immediately, by one of the older wolves. Emilia let out a burst of arrogant laughter.
“When you’re mated to Zane you will be.”
“Wait. What?” I frowned in confusion, who was Zane? The name was unfamiliar to me. I didn't think I knew anyone, pack or not by the name of Zane. “Who’s Zane?”
“He’s a new alpha,” she explained. “Struck a deal with your father apparently, none of us are sure what he promised the new alpha, except you.” My heart felt heavy in my chest. My father planned to give me away, with or without my consent. He’d always told me that when it was time for me to be mated that I would have some say in the matter. I guess that ship sailed when I tried to run again.
The bell rang and I shoved my free hand through my hair in frustration, I wanted to question Emilia more, but I needed to go. “I have to go Emilia,” I said and hung up without waiting for a reply. I dropped both hands to my sides and tipped my head back. I felt like screaming, shifting, ripping something apart, anything to get this anger to subside. The building anger wasn't great with the approaching full moon. I needed a clear head the closer the arrival of the moon came.

Fourth period P.E with Quinn was more than a little difficult. I avoided him as much as I could before realising that we were going to lunch afterwards and avoiding him was an idiotic move. He was just going to question me more if I did. I finally relented when he made a grab for my arm, this time I let him get me. I slowed to a walk as the others continued running their laps. His face was carefully composed into a mask of mystery; I couldn't tell what he was thinking at all. I mentally added Quinn to my list of frustrations.
“We still on for lunch?” he asked. I decided not to give him a straight answer as he so often did with me.
“I thought you weren't taking no for an answer?” I questioned. A small smile tugged at his lips and I knew I was forgiven for my earlier behaviour. I smiled softly in return and turned my attention away from him. I hated the way my heartbeat picked up when he looked at me like that. It was such a giveaway as to how I felt, yet I couldn't grasp anything from him. His breathing was even, his heartbeat normal. I don’t know how he did it, unless, he didn't feel anything for me. For some reason, this thought stung a lot. I pushed it aside, determined not to think about it. I had enough boy issues without adding Quinn to the list. By the end of class we were laughing and joking as we had before I’d gone all weird on him. I showered and changed in the girl’s locker room and found Quinn waiting for me outside the door. Everyone else had disappeared and we were alone. I felt a little weird being alone with him right then, I wasn't sure what it was exactly. Maybe it was the fact that I liked him or that he didn't like me. Anyhow, I was determined to get some answers from Quinn about whatever was going on at the school, if he had any to give. Quinn drove a beaten up ford pickup truck, that had seen far better days. The interior was ripped and the paint was a bit worse for wear. It was well used and well loved. I liked it. Sitting in the small cab with very little space between us, we were left with the dilemma of where to go.
“The mall?” I suggested. Quinn grimaced slightly, but complied. I could tell he didn't like the idea of going there, but I wondered why. What was so bad about this place that he would have liked to avoid it? The parking lot felt extremely empty as we walked through it to the doors. A shiver ran up my spine and I wondered what it was that was causing my wolf to throw itself at the cages of my mind. The beast wanted out and it wanted out now. I struggled to keep it contained as we neared the sliding glass doors. All my instincts were telling me to turn and leave, to run the other direction. To get away as fast as possible. I glanced at Quinn out of the corner of my eye, but his attention was focused solely on the building in front of us. A low growl emanated from his throat and it was then that I knew he was feeling it too. The sense of imminent danger was one that was hard to ignore right then. The glass doors slid open and I held my breath, waiting for something, anything. Normal every day voices and sounds met my ears and a sigh of relief escaped my lips. My shoulders were still wound tightly, but I didn't feel as if my whole life was in the balance. I frowned and shot Quinn a questioning look. He lifted his shoulders in a shrug, his eyes moving across the people and faces in front of us. Quinn was the first one to move into the mall, his male instincts still in play. I could tell by the protective way he held himself, always a step in front of me, his muscles coiled, ready for anything. I wasn't exactly hungry when we sat down to eat the subway we’d brought. I kept my eyes away from Quinn as I attempted to eat the sandwich without much success. My stomach just couldn't handle it today. It was only my human form that had problems with food; my wolf had no problem at all devouring anything it had managed to catch that day. But the shifting did that to you, it made you hungry, weak and more than a little exhausted. I crossed one leg over the other and fought the instinct that told me I was the alphas daughter and no one could deny me answers. I had to suppress that feeling, Quinn wasn't technically part of the pack and not mine to order around. That didn't mean my high ranking wouldn't work on him…
“So,” I said. “Why the sudden interest in having lunch with me?” Quinn almost choked on his sandwich at my words. I smiled, more than a little smug with his reaction.
“Don’t think you can distract me from the real reason we’re here,” he said. His own lips turning up in a condescending smile. I sighed and looked away from him. This was not going as I had expected.
“What can you tell me about the shit going on at school?” I asked, avoiding what he’d said.
Something flickered in those icy depths. “What do you mean?”
“Don’t play games with me Quinn,” I said softly.
“You’re not talking about the unusual number of break ups are you?” he said more to himself than me. I shook my head and Quinn sighed. I watched as he placed the rest of his sandwich on the wrapper and sat back. His eyes flicked over my face and I saw a sort of realisation pass over his features. “What’s your last name?” I was mildly surprised by his question, but answered almost immediately, without thinking really.
“Trenton,” I murmured. I saw the way his eyes widened ever so slightly, before he composed himself.
“Your fathers the alpha, isn't he?” There was a slight quiver in his voice. I frowned and nodded, wondering where these questions were going. Quinn fell silent after that and I was left feeling more confused than ever. I attempted to work through his thought process without much success. I could tell by the way Quinn was staring down at his hands that he was trying to think something through. Why did he want to know my relationship with my alpha? Why did he need to know that I was the alphas daughter? I had a bad feeling about this.
“Why?” I asked when it was clear that he wasn't going to say anything.
“Huh?” he said, glancing at me as if coming out of a deep thought. “Oh, um, a few weeks before the headmistress let on some mysterious vacation, she visited an alpha that lived a few hours out from here.”
“My father?” I asked, surprised
“I’m not sure,” he admitted. “All I know is that he had a daughter, one that needed admittance into the school.”
My lips parted and I tried to think of why my father would need the headmistress to come out to the farm just to talk about my admittance. Also, why had it taken so long for them to actually send me to the school?
“Why are so many students dying?” I asked softly.
Quinn’s gaze flicked around us before returning to me, I leant forward in anticipation. He sighed softly and flattened his hands flat on the table. “I don’t know what you know about all of this, but you need to stop digging.” I sat back, speechless.
“Why?” I demanded. “Why should I listen to you? “
“Why do you think so many have already gone missing or mysteriously died?” he hissed at me. “They've gotten too close to the truth.”
I frowned at him. “And what would the truth be?”
“You already know the answer to that question,” Quinn said. His eyes found mine and something I saw in those depths told me how concerned he was by this. “And if you’re not careful, you’ll be next.”

Quinn was quiet in art class when we returned to school after lunch or what was actually a late dinner for the real world. I mulled over what little he’d told me. Quinn had however confirmed what I already knew; something weird was going on at this school and necromancy was involved somehow. What I didn't understand was what my father had to do with this. Why had the headmistress visited him? And what did my enrollment have to do with it? I made a mental note to question my father when midterm break rolled around. The week after the full moon was the half way point in the term and it came just in time really, although, to be fair, I had started late in the term. I continued my sketch without really paying attention. My artistic skills were getting better, but I was nowhere near as good as Quinn. I watched as he flicked through his book and noticed, absently, that a page had been ripped out. I’d never seen Quinn throw out any of his work or screw any of it up for that matter. It seemed strange that he’d rip out an entire page. I let go of the thought and focused on trying to work out exactly how to broach the subject with my father. I didn't think asking him outright what had happened would work, but I didn't see how I could lead him onto the subject either. I shut my eyes briefly and felt a headache at the very thought of the conversation with my father. To say the least, it wasn't going to be fun at all. I packed my things up and left, only vaguely aware of my surroundings. The full moon was next Sunday, so I two weeks before I had to talk to my father. I made it back to the dorm room without any sort of ordeal, but my mind was still reeling from the thought of talking to my father. I almost walked straight past a white faced Jasmine standing in the middle of the dorm kitchen. I paused in the hall and stepped back to look in the doorway. It was as if someone had pressed pause, she stood near the fridge, a bottle of milk in one hand. Her eyes were trained on something I didn't have the ability to see, her features tight as she focused. I walked towards her slowly and watched as she blinked out of her vision. Jasmine focused on me, her lips clamped tightly shut as she continued what she was doing. Jasmine didn't speak as she finished making her drink, nor did she speak as she walked past me and up the stairs to our room. I wasn't sure whether to follow or not, but the curiosity go to me and I followed anyone. I opened the door and found her seated on the floor in front of her bed with the mug clasped firmly in both hands. She didn't even glance up when I walked in and shut the door. She was still reliving whatever it was that she’d seen in her vision.
“Jas?” I asked hesitantly. I sat down on the floor in front of her and watched as her eyes flicked around as if she was somewhere else entirely. “What’s going on?” She didn't respond and I was beginning to worry. I took the cup from her and her lips started moving, forming words I couldn't understand. I was at a loss for what to do when opened the door. He saw the two of us on the floor and stalked over, shoving me out of the way to get to Jasmine.
“What’s going on?” he asked. My lips parted, no words forming, so I shook my head. Tristan’s soft eyes moved away from me to Jasmine. He put his hands on her shoulders and shook her gently. I cringed as desperation took hold of him and he shook harder. I grabbed his shoulder and tried to pull him away from her, the protective instinct in me kicking in. A low growl emitted from my throat and Tristan stilled. His fangs slid down to indent his lower lip. He hissed and shook off my hand. The both of us launched to our feet and even though Tristan was half a head taller than me, I didn't back down. Jasmine snapped out of her trance and jumped between us.
“Stop it!” She snapped. Jasmine feebly pushed us apart. I didn't want to be the first to back down, but I relented, stepping away from the two of them. I turned away and fought the stupid werewolf side of me that wanted to protect Jasmine. I didn't need to protect her. That was Tristan’s job!
“What’s going on Jas?” he asked softly.
“Nothing,” she mumbled. I turned around to find him trying to pull her into a hug. Jasmine didn't fight his touch for long, falling into his arms with such ease that I knew this had happened before. In that moment I longed for the comfort of the pack. I frowned at myself. I’d longed to get away from the pack for so long and now I wanted their comfort? At least I knew I could never go lone now, I wasn't sure whether or not that was a positive thing or not. I felt uncomfortable standing there as they had their moment. I turned away from them and wondered what lie Jasmine was going to make up to get Tristan off her back. My eyes caught on a piece of paper sticking out from beneath Jasmine’s bed. My gaze flicked to Jasmine for a second before I bent down and snagged the edge of the page. My breath caught in my throat and I used the tip of my boot to kick the paper further under the bed. I turned back to Jasmine, finally understanding why she was so upset. She was meant to die.

The door shut softly behind Tristan and I sat on my bed in silence as I waited for Jasmine to say something, anything. I opened my mouth to say something, but she held up a hand to stop me.
“Don’t,” she whispered. “I don’t want to talk about it.”
“Jas, you need to,” I murmured. “This isn't going to go away on its own.”
“My visions, Ashra, always turn out the way I see them,” she hissed. “No matter how much you or anyone else tries to change them.” We fell silent. She needed to get her frustration out, but I didn’t want it directed at me. It was too close to the full moon, I could feel the moon heat already and if she got me worked up enough, well let’s just say I don’t know what would happen. I watched as she got ready for bed and shut me out. I wanted to reach out to her, to comfort her in any way I could, but I didn't have the courage to do it. I waited until her heart beat slowed and her breathing evened out before getting up and opening the window. I stepped out onto the small ledge and shut the window softly behind me. I leapt with ease onto the stone wall that surrounded the school and landed in a crouch. I stayed like that for a few minutes as I listened to the night around me. A loud howl ripped through the night, filling the air around me and calling my wolf to the surface. The wolf was strong, but I was stronger, I wouldn't be shifting on anyone else’s terms but my own. I laughed lightly and walked along the wall, closer to where the sound had come from. I stopped by an overhanging tree and crouched down. I could just see the movement of figures in the darkness. I strained my enhanced senses and slowed my breathing so I could listen. I recognised one of the figures immediately.
Damien.
“What the hell?” I whispered. Who were the wolves he was standing with, and who was the alpha?I wanted to get closer, but they’d notice my presence if I did. There was three days until the moon heat started and already if they paid enough attention they would be able to pick up on it. I reached out with my senses and tried to get a feel on the emotions of those standing in the loose circle. I was too far away. Frustration clawed at me as I searched for a closer hiding spot. There was only one room that I could see that would give me a good vantage point and still be able to hide. Too bad I didn't know whose room it was. I sucked my lower lip into my mouth and moved towards the tree, positioning myself in line with the trunk. I leapt. The bark was rough on my fingers as I tried to dig my heels in. The tree barely shook from the added weight and I was thankful when none of those standing by the wall turned to look. I crawled out, flat on my stomach, on one of the branches stretching in their direction. I still wasn't close enough to hear full sentences, but I was able to pick up on some words.
“...suspicion...”
“They’re too close together...”
“...We can’t wait any...”
“...knows...”
From what I could distinguish, there were two main speakers, Damien, and one of the others that were standing in shadow. I could just make out the outline of his face. I could tell by the way Damien cringed back that the speaker was getting angry with him. The tension in the air was almost tangible. This alpha was strong and for Damien to turn his back on his own alpha, he had to have something on him. I need to get Damien to talk, I mused. I needed to know what was going on so I could help him. He doesn't want your help, a snide voice said from the back of my mind. I shook my head slightly. I pushed all thoughts of getting Damien to open up to me away as the argument grew even more heated. The speakers voice rose and I could just make out what he was saying.
“If she knows, she has to be dealt with,” he snapped. I didn't like the sound of that. Who knew what? And who had to be dealt with? Jasmine? A cold feeling washed over me at the very thought of the alpha getting his hands on her.
“...Kill me...” Damien’s words were still too soft for me to hear completely. But from those two words I could tell exactly how terrified he was. Something most males never showed. His control was slipping.
“If you don’t stop her, I’ll kill you!” The speaker snarled and stepped into a small patch of moonlight. I repressed the gasp that almost escaped my lips. I knew that face. Well, I didn't know him, but I’d seen him before. The photos, I mouthed to myself. So, this dead guy that wasn't actually dead was the alpha? I wasn't so sure, but the evidence was right there in front of me. Damien had gotten himself in some real shit. I moved back on the branch, preparing to leave when more figures stepped out of the trees of the forest, the one that backed onto the school. I silently attempted to count them all, but there were too many. What I noticed almost immediately was the difference in this ‘pack’ if you could even call it that. They weren't wolves. At least the majority of them weren't. I watched in fascination as they stopped, just far enough away that I couldn't get a good look at them, and stood there as if united. I could feel their pack bond, but I had a hard time believing it. I’d been brought up to believe that pack bonds existed only in wolves and shifters. What my eyes told me now, well, they told me everything I believed was a lie.

I scrambled backwards as quickly as I could, trying to keep myself concealed as I jumped from the tree to the wall and from there to the window ledge. I had to do something, I had to wake Jasmine. I needed her to see it, to tell me that I wasn't hallucinating. I opened the window and all but launched myself at her bed.
“What-” She didn't have the chance to finish her question. I grabbed her arm and pulled her to the window. I pointed to the figures, the trees, in the distance.
“Please tell me you see that too?” I said. It came out sounding like a question. Jasmine squinted into the dark night and shook her head.
“What am I meant to be looking at?” she asked. Her dark eyes looked black right then as she turned them on me, questioning my sanity.
“Screw your shit eyesight,” I hissed and shook my head. “The figures, there’s people, our kind, mine and yours.”
She frowned at me. “Where are you going with this?”
“I was watching,” I said. “They’re bound. Like as in pack bound.”
“That’s not possible,” she said.
“You know what else isn't possible?” I snapped. “Their leader’s a dead guy.” Jasmine sat down on her bed and put her face in her hands.
“So, you know then?” It was more of a statement, but I answered anyway.
“I had my suspicions.”
“When?”
“The photos,” I muttered. “They were my attackers.” Jasmine’s shoulders dropped and she started to shake.
“They told me it wasn't them,” she cried. “They told me that it wasn't their choice that no one would get hurt.” I snorted and refrained from shaking my head and telling her exactly what I thought of that. Jasmine got the point anyway. Her hands dropped down into her lap and she twisted them together. She felt responsible, I realised. My lips parted and I was about to tell her that it wasn't her fault when a howl, long and slow, crawled through the air around us. This one was different to the one I’d first heard. This one raised the hairs on my arms and sent a cold shiver down my spine. I was wrong in assuming the previous wolf was the alpha. He was merely the spokesperson, a pawn in the alphas game. The real alpha was here now and he wanted everyone to know. I stood and moved towards the window. Other wolves picked up the howl and many all too human voices followed suit.
“Do they want everyone to know?” I demanded. Jasmine cried harder. I wanted to comfort her right then, but I was still so angry. She’d known about these creatures and what they were doing.
“They-” She broke off, unable to speak through the hiccups and the tears. “They’re expanding.”
“Expanding?” I said bluntly. Of course they were fucking expanding. That’s what most alphas wanted; a larger pack meant better security and a better position in our world. Larger packs were harder to get rid of. There was only one person I knew who would know what to do, my father, the one person I wasn't sure I could call. I didn't think I could bring myself to tell him that I’d been sneaking around school and searching for answers to all its mysteries. I sighed. I knew I’d have to face him sooner or later. I preferred later. I’d see what the full moon brought before calling him, I told myself, knowing I was a liar even then. Odds were I wouldn't even tell him when I went home for the weekend, provided he actually wanted me to come home. I turned away from the window, not wanting to see anymore. Quinn would know what to do. Quinn could help, but Quinn didn't want to help I reminded myself. If he had his way he’d shut me away somewhere that I couldn't get myself killed.
“We have to stop them Jas,” I said. She looked up, her tear stained face a mask of shock.
“We?” She squeaked. I nodded.
“We have to before they kill anyone else.” The speaker’s words rang through my mind ‘she has to be dealt with’. I didn't know who the ‘she’ they were referring to was; all I knew was that I couldn't let them kill anyone else. They couldn't be allowed to continue with whatever stupid plan they had concocted. Jasmine’s eyes followed me as I paced across the carpet. My thoughts were scattered all over the place, my mind a jumbled mess. If only I knew who the insider was, the one orchestrating the whole charade. There had to be someone. There’s no way these kids were getting up by themselves and walking their dead bodies out of the school. Not without being noticed. So, who then? One of the staff? Teachers? One of the students? I wasn't sure, but I intended to find out.