Sequel: My Forever Girl

Lost, Then Found

Ch. Two

Kim’s P.O.V.

It was almost like he knew what I was thinking because he released me. His huge warm arms now left my skin vulnerable to the cool ocean breeze; I almost wished I was still shielded by them, though I felt ashamed to admit it. I did not know this man, further more I didn’t know any of these people and am surprised I trusted to make this adventure with a complete stranger that I met in a Diner. The fact that Bella walked off with Jacob told me either she is not a good friend, or that the man she left me with is completely trustworthy. I really did hope it was the second choice, because after my last fight with Eli, I was too tired mentally and physically to battle another man.

“I’m Jared.” The man walking next to me said, breaking the awkward silence.

“I’m Kim.” I replied back softly.

“So Kim, are you new to Forks?”

“Yeah, I just moved here a couple days ago from New York.”

“Nice, what are you doing all the way out here, besides falling for me?” He had a wide cocky smile spread across his face. Normally I could not stand this type of guy, but for some reason I couldn’t get mad. If I almost fell flat on my face looking at Jacob’s smile, there was no telling how I would make myself look foolish drooling over Jared’s smile. Jared had dimples, though they were small, they were still noticeable and very adorable. I was always a sucker for dimples. I decided to play along instead of get upset over something that was meant to be a joke.

“Well Jared, I dreamed of coming out here to fall into my prince charming’s arms and live happily ever after in his castle.” I replied half-jokingly and the other half questioning whether or not if it’s true. Obviously I wasn’t serious about the prince charming and living in a castle, I gave up on dreaming about my fairy tale ending when I was a little girl, I had been put through too much to ever think anything good would ever happen for me. Did I really think moving across the country would solve my Eli problems. Better yet, was I hoping to find someone out here that would save me?

“Prince Charming and castles huh, I don’t know about all that, but I think I could be a damn good superman.”

“Yeah, why is that?” I asked.

“Well, I’m strong, obviously built like him, if not better, I can run fast, and all the ladies wish they had me.” Once again that cocky smile was spread across his face.

“Uh huh, but you can’t fly.” I replied not impressed.

“I don’t need to; I make up for it with everything else I can do.”

“So where are all these ladies that you claim are wanting you so badly and what does your girlfriend think about that?”

“Ha, I knew you were going to ask that or something like that.”

“Yeah, and why is that smarty pants?”

“Every girl does that when they are interested in a guy, they find some smooth way of asking a guy if they have a girlfriend without coming out and asking him.”

I smiled a little and could feel the redness come back to my face. I guess that was my intention, I did want to know if he had a girlfriend, but I didn’t want him to know that. He was right though, girls did that a lot. I don’t know what to say back, but I’d better think of something quick before he caught on that I was a little embarrassed that he caught on. Before I could get out what I was going to say he cut me off.

“To answer your hidden question, no, I don’t have a girlfriend.”
I blushed a little more, “why not?”

“I guess I haven’t found my Lois Lane yet.” This time it looked as if he was blushing a little bit.

“Lois Lane?” I repeated a little confused.

“You know, Lois Lane and Clark Kent a.k.a superman.”

“Oh, I knew that.” I laughed it off, and then began to think about almost wanting to be his Lois Lane as he had put it. My heart started beating fast at the thought. Although the thought confused me, because he was almost everything I thought I hated in a guy, cocky, and full of himself, yet I felt drawn to him and almost turned on by his big ego. I could tell he wanted to hold my hand and even though I wanted to, it just seemed like everything was happening so fast. By that I mean I just met Jared, but I already feel safe with him. I feel drawn to him almost connected to him, but that sounds insane.

I continued to walk down the beach towards Bella and Jacob who looked as if they were in a heated argument. Jacob looked like he was screaming at Bella, all I managed to hear was; Bloodsucker…. Stay…. I could…. This was all I heard before I realized Jared had somehow passed me without me even noticing. He was now holding Jacob trying to calm him down from shaking.

“Bella is everything alright?” I could see tears forming in her eyes.

“Yeah, I just have to go.” Her eyes never moved from Jacob’s, and his were still locked on hers although Jacob’s eyes were not flooding with tears, his just revealed the pain and anger he was feeling this very moment. All I wanted was to see Jacob smile, that beautiful smile I was so wrapped up in just a little while ago. I felt a connection with Jacob as well, but it was a very different connection than the one I was feeling with Jared. I think I felt this connection with Jacob because in a way he reminds me of me in a man form. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out that Jacob clearly has feelings for Bella that ran deeper than just friendship as she claimed they were. It really didn’t seem like the feelings were mutual though. Our situations were different, but somehow kind of the same if that makes any sense at all. I just didn’t want Jacob hurt like me, I somewhat felt protective over him, like he was my brother.

“Kim if you want a ride home than we have to leave now.”

“Um, I still want to hang out here a bit, I’ll find my own way home, but thank you.”

“I’ll take her.” Jared immediately said almost cutting me off. “That’s if you want me to.”

“Thank you, I would really appreciate it.”

Bella was already walking in the direction of her beat up truck. Jacob on the other hand had already stormed off in the other direction. I had this strong urge to go after him, but quickly realized that’s the way my feet were already taking me.

“Jacob wait, are you ok?”

“I’m fine; she’s just so stupid when it comes to him. I’ve always been there for her, even when he left her high and dry. It just doesn’t matter though because she’ll pick him over me every time.”

As I assumed Jacob was in love with Bella, but she did not feel the same way about Jacob. I knew Jacob’s pain all too well; this was what I was going through towards the end of my relationship with Eli.

“It is none of my business, but don’t you think you should move on?”

“It’s easier said than done.” Another feeling that was all too familiar to me. “Besides what do you care, you don’t even know me.”

“That is true, but I’m a pretty good judge of character,” I hesitated before I continued wondering for a moment how Eli slipped through the cracks with me, “you seem like a good guy, don’t use your energy chasing after a girl who doesn’t share the same feelings. In the end you’re just going to be left broken hearted over and over again.”

Jacob forced a smile. “I take it you been through this before.”

“Ha, yes, I know the pain all too well. Part of the reason I’m in Forks. I couldn’t accept that the man that once loved me so much no longer did.”

“Well, at least you let go of him now.”

“He didn’t really give me a choice, I didn’t want to be in a relationship with a man that claimed he once loved me, but was so easy for him to put his hands on me.”

Jacob’s eyes grew wide. That’s when I realized I revealed too much with him too soon. “He used to hit you?” Jacob shouted and began to shake like he had during his argument with Bella just a few minutes ago.

“Yeah.” I said low, ashamed to admit I let a man treat me that way for as long as I did. “It’s good though, it only made me stronger as a person.” I had to say something to calm Jacob down, even if it was a lie. Eli didn’t make me stronger; the whole situation broke me down. I must have sounded convincing though because Jacob’s shaken lessened, but was still there.

“Sorry, I just don’t like hearing about men hitting women. He’s a coward, and doesn’t deserve someone as beautiful as you.” I blushed.

A growl like sound erupted from Jared as he approached Jacob and me.

“Sorry to interrupt, but it’s getting late I should probably get you home.” Jared’s eyes were filled with anger.

“Oh, I’m sorry I don’t want to hold you up.” I realized I had been very rude and ditched Jared for Jacob, but I really think I helped him. Even if I didn’t, I think he knew I meant well. Even though Jacob and I had only been talking a few minutes I felt an even stronger connection with him, he is the first person I shared my story with. I started walking with Jared down the beach towards the parking lot until I felt a warm hand gently touch my arm. I turned around to see it was Jacob. He smiled that beautiful smile and gently wrapped his arms around me.

“I still don’t know why you care, but thanks Kim, your words were helpful and they will definitely give me something to think about.” Another growl like sound escaped from Jared, Jacob immediately freed me from his light hug. I looked up at Jared who was glaring at Jacob. Jacob just grinned and walked in the opposite direction. I turned back to Jared who still seemed a little upset.

“Are you ok Jared?” I wanted to break the silence.

“I’m fine.” It wasn’t really convincing, but I decided not to push him, if he didn’t want to talk about it I was not about to make him.

I worked up the courage to grab Jared’s arm and turn him around to continue our journey back towards the parking lot. His face softened at the touch of my hand, I’m glad I could help, if that’s what I had just done.

We approached another old pickup truck, almost like Bella’s, but Jared’s was blue. I almost hadn’t noticed my arm was still wrapped around his until he took his arm back. I would have felt rejected if it weren’t for him using that hand to open the passenger door for me. Jared was quickly beside me within seconds on the driver side. It was awkwardly silent; Jared must have thought the same thing because he turned the radio up. Another Round by Fat Joe and Chris Brown was playing. I immediately pushed Jared’s hand out of the way to turn the volume back down to a mute. Jared looked at me confused before returning his eyes to the road.

“What’s the matter, you don’t like that song?”

“I don’t like Chris Brown.”

“Why not?” He sounded as if I had said something horrible about him.

“I don’t respect any man that has put their hands on a woman.”

“Oh that, but Rihanna forgave him for that.”

“Just because she was stupid enough to do that doesn’t mean I have to.”

I didn’t even care to discuss this anymore; it only made me think about Eli. I decided to change the subject before Jared had a chance to respond to my last comment.

“So is everything between you and Jacob ok?” Jared was silent and I could tell there was something obviously wrong, his face hardened like it was when we were last with Jacob. Whether he would tell me or not would be a completely different story.

“Everything is fine.”

“You just seemed a little upset. I wasn’t trying to come off as rude when I went after Jacob. He just seemed so mad, I just wanted to check and see if he was ok.”

“Oh, that’s what you guys were talking about?” His face softened once again.

“Yeah, what did you think we were talking about?” He didn’t respond, but by the look on his face it was as if he regretted ever getting upset.

“Get used to it.” He finally said.

“Get used to what?”

“The Jacob and Bella drama, it’s never ending and we all hear about it.”

“He told me a little about it. Who’s the guy that she always picks over Jacob anyway?”

“That would be Edward Cullen.” Something changed in his voice as he said that name, and it wasn’t for the better.

“I obviously get why Jacob hates him so much, but the way your voice changed when you said his name, it’s almost as if you hate him too. May I ask why that is?”

“Um, it’s hard to explain, you would have to know the legends of our tribe to understand.”

“Oh.” Was all I could say.

“Can you tell me the legends of your tribe?” I added after a minute or so of silence. I was so curious to hear the explanation of why Edward was hated by Jared and obviously the rest of his tribe it sounded like.

“Maybe one day you’ll get to hear them.” Jared finally responded back to my question pulling me back from my thoughts.

“Am I going the right way?” We were so deep in conversation I almost made Jared miss the turn to my house.

“Turn left here. My house is the third house on the right side.”

“Damn, nice house! Are you going to show me the inside of it?”

“Maybe one day you’ll get to see the inside.” Basically giving him the same response he gave me to the question I had asked him.

Just as I was opening the door to get out my heart almost jumped out of my chest when I felt Jared’s hot hand brush across my arm leaving a tingly feeling. This was a good tingly feeling, a feeling no other man has made me feel. I looked up at Jared waiting for an answer as to why he stopped me. His face was darkening to a shade of pink, it was adorable.

“Kim, I w-was wondering, um..” He paused for a moment. “My p.., I mean, some friends are having a cookout out on the beach tomorrow night, I was just wondering if you would like to go, um..” He paused again and took a small breath, but still noticeable. “Would you like to go with me?” His face was no longer a shade of pink, it turned completely red. The fact that he was so shy to ask me was even more adorable. This was a new side of Jared, what happened to that cocky side I was starting to like? “You don’t have to go, it’s just that the majority of the p.. group has a girlfriend, I just, never mind.

“Jared stop, I’d love to go with you.” I placed my hand on top of his hand partly to calm his nerves, and partly because I liked being close to him. Still felt weird that all I wanted was to be close to a man I just met. I felt like a creeper, I hope he didn’t see it that way.

“R-Really, you’ll go?” He was shocked as if he was waiting for me to reject him.

“Duh, I just said that.” I replied jokingly. I wanted to lighten the mood, make him feel more comfortable, keep him from stuttering even more than he already had been.

His smile almost lit the dark sky. This smile was almost as sexy as his cocky smile.
“I’ll pick you up around 6:30 tomorrow night if that’s ok with you.”

“That sounds perfect Jared.”

Jared stepped out of the truck and came around to my side. I was definitely not used to this. I took in a glimpse of Jared before turning around and closing the door.