Sequel: My Forever Girl

Lost, Then Found

Ch. Twenty-Nine

Kim’s P.O.V.

As a parent your worst nightmare is someone harming your child and you not being able to do anything about it. I followed the cries of my baby. When I reached her bedroom door I was horrified by what I saw. My baby was in the arms of a monster.

“She’s beautiful Kim,” he said, not taking his eyes off of her.

“Get away from her Eli,” I shouted.

“I didn’t expect this; it’s almost too perfect,” He replied ignoring my command. “My intentions were to come and hurt you, but what better way to do that than to make you watch me destroy your little family?”

As hard as I tried to move, I couldn’t. I was stuck in place, being forced to watch Eli cradle my baby in his arms. The only thing I could think of to do to help my little girl was scream out for her father.

“JARED!”

“Don’t bother Kim; I already took care of him,” he replied back. His voice came out almost demonic sounding. For the first time Eli tore his eyes away from my baby girl and looked up at me; staring back at me were a pair of blood red eyes.
The sound that left my mouth was nothing I ever heard before; it was a blood curdling scream, as if I was the one being murdered.

“Kim, Kim, baby wake up!” I was shaken awake.

When my eyes shot open I was staring up at a very worried Jared. The nightmare felt so real. I wrapped my arms around Jared’s neck and held him close to me as the tears ran down my face and dropped onto his shirt soaking it through. “You’re alive,” I replied squeezing him even tighter.

“It was just another bad dream. I’m right here Kim; I am not going anywhere,” he whispered into my ear as he ran his hand continuously up and down my back trying to calm me down.

“What do you keep dreaming about? You’ve woken up in a cold sweat for a little over a month and a half now,” Jared asked when I finally calmed down enough to talk.

“It’s about the baby,” I admitted.

“What about the baby?” he questioned.

“Someone keeps trying to hurt her.”

“Who, Kim?”

“A vampire.” I didn’t exactly lie; Eli was a vampire in my nightmare.

“I told you I wouldn’t let a leech get close to you or the baby,” he replied, rubbing my belly.

“Come on, lay back down with me,” he said, placing a kiss on my cheek, and then pulling me back down into his chest.

Jared quickly drifted back off to sleep, but I couldn’t. I was scared the nightmare would pick up where it left off. I’d been having these dreams every night since Eli called. The dreams were always different versions, but always the same result, Eli taking out my family. This was the first time Eli appeared in my nightmare as a vampire. As if Eli wasn’t evil enough let’s make him a vampire with even more strength. I felt like these nightmares were my punishment for lying to Jared about it, but why get him worried when nothing would happen?

Even though it had been a month and a half with no sign or call back from Eli, Embry still insisted on coming around and keeping watch when Jared could not. Jared had become suspicious until I told him I just thought it would be a good idea to have someone around the further along I became in the pregnancy. Of course he was happy about me always having someone there in case I needed help or protection. If he wasn’t there, then Embry was. If there was a pack meeting and none of the wolves could be there, then I had to sit over by Emily’s with the other imprints until the boys got back.

Jared’s P.O.V.

After breakfast I kissed Kim good-bye, and then headed out the door. Embry was just making his way out of the tree line on his way to the house to look over Kim while I’m away on patrol.
I loved the idea of Kim always having someone looking out for her if I’m not able to be there, but I found it strange that she didn’t come to me about this first. If she felt like she needed the extra help or protection when I wasn’t around why not come and talk to me about it? I would’ve even understood if she talked to Jacob about it, but Embry? Since when did she become close with him? I don’t like having this feeling like she’s lying to me, but it definitely feels like there’s more to this than what’s been given to me. If Kim wouldn’t tell me, I was hoping that my pack brother would.

Embry nodded and was going to continue walking towards the house until I stopped him. “Hold on Em, can I talk to you for a second?”

“Yeah, sure! What’s up?” He responded.

“I like the idea of Kim always having someone with her, but I don’t understand why she didn’t come to me with her concerns, why you?”

He paused and waited for me to continue; when he saw that I was finished he finally spoke. “I don’t know.” He replied flatly.

“Let me get this straight; she came to you and told you that she wanted someone around all the time?”

“Pretty much,” he answered almost immediately.

I sighed, knowing I wasn’t getting anywhere, but instead of letting my anger take over I decided to give it one last effort. “I mean, did she say why she decided this? Does it have to do with the nightmares she’s been having every night? Do you know anything?”

Embry hesitated before replying. He glanced at the house for a split second, and then returned to me. If it wasn’t for the werewolf vision I would have missed it. “If you have concerns maybe you should try talking to her about it. I’m just here to watch over her until you get back.” He replied before swiftly turning around and continuing his long strides to the house.

They were definitely hiding something, but what? After everything we’ve been through I thought by now Kim would feel comfortable talking to me about anything.

I let the anger take over and before I knew it I was on all fours running through the woods.

Kim’s P.O.V.

“Kim where are you?” I heard Embry’s voice call from the living room.

“I’m in the nursery Em.” I called back.

After Shianne decided to move in with Jacob; Jared and I wasted no time turning her old room into a nursery for the baby. After learning we were having a girl, I was more than excited to get started decorating the room. Jared hated the idea of painting the baby’s room pink, but being the hormonal pregnant woman I was, there was no competition; of course I would get my way.

Jared and Jacob did manage to surprise me with items to add to the room. I came home from a girl’s day out with Shianne to a nursery full of furniture that they had made. I was so shocked, I had no idea they had even been working on this.

That wasn’t the only surprise I was given. Embry, Seth, and Quil had also been working on something for the baby. There was 10 beautifully hand crafted plaques with the face of a wolf carved in each of them resembling each and every wolf in the pack. Seth told me they made them to hang on the wall in the baby’s room so she would know every time she looked at them that she would always have a family that would love, protect, and support her no matter what.

“What the hell are you doing?” Embry asked pulling me out of my thoughts from the harshness of his tone.

“Well, there’s a bucket full of paint, and I have a paint brush in my hands. I’d say I’m painting.” I replied sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

“You shouldn’t be doing that, you’re pregnant.”

“Yes, I’m pregnant, not handicapped. I’m still capable of doing stuff around the house by myself. The nursery needed a second coat of paint; I have nothing better to do, so I thought I’d do it now.”

“Let me help you at least.” I threw him the extra brush and continued on painting.

“So, you’re still having those nightmares huh?” He asked cautiously.

“Yup.”

It was silent for a few minutes before Embry decided to break it.
“Maybe the nightmares will stop if you tell Jared the truth about Eli calling you.”

“Embry that was a month and a half ago, drop it.” I scoffed.

“What if he calls again? Are you still going to continue to lie to Jared?” He snapped back.

“He’s not going to call again, but if he does I’ll deal with it then. For now, just keep your mouth shut.”

Embry looked out the window towards the woods, and then returned his attention back to the wall he was painting. “The truth will come out.” He whispered under his breath.

“This conversation is getting old; I don’t want to talk about it any…..” I stopped mid-sentence as I felt a light nudge come from within my belly. “Whoa.” I said as I placed a hand on my stomach.

Embry’s head snapped in my direction. “What’s wrong? Are you ok?” He said full of concern.

I gave him a quick smile before I grabbed one of his hands and placed it in the same spot my hand was just seconds ago. He looked at me confused. “I think the baby kicked.” I replied.

Just as I said that I felt that nudge again. Embry’s face lit up. A smile formed at the corner of his mouth as he stared down at his hand that was still placed upon my belly.

I notice movement out of the corner of my eye. Jared was standing in the doorway with his fists balled as his eyes were locked on Embry’s hand. Embry quick pulled his hand back and backed away from me.

“I-I-I was just letting him feel the baby kick.” Jared looked at me, but didn’t respond. “You’re back from patrol already?” I asked giving him a light smile.

“Why didn’t you tell me Kim?” Although his voice was calm, I could feel the anger he was trying to hold back.

As I spoke to reply my voice cracked, “I-I don’t know what you’re t-talking about.”

“JUST STOP, I HEARD THE WHOLE CONVERSATION!” His voice boomed.

I was frightened at first, but then I felt the anger boil from within as I turned and looked at Embry who was looking down at the ground. “You knew he was out there, you knew he was listening the whole time.” Instead of owning up to my own mistakes I wanted to put the blame on someone else.

Before Embry had the chance to defend himself, Jared cut back in, “WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME ELI CALLED?” He shouted as he took a step closer.

I was caught, there was no way I could back myself out of this one. I suddenly forgot any excuse I had as to why I didn’t tell Jared, none made any sense anymore. Embry spoke up for the first time since Jared arrived, “Jared you need to calm down before you lose control.”

Jared’s eyes turned wild, I could see the flames within them as they locked on Embry for the first time. “YOU KNEW THIS WHOLE TIME, AND YOU STOOD THERE AND LIED TO ME WHEN I ASKED YOU IF YOU KNEW ANYTHING.” Jared was losing it; I could see him beginning to shake.

“No, I didn’t tell you out there, but if it wasn’t for me you still wouldn’t know.” Embry replied.

Jared ran across the room and struck Embry’s face with his fist sending him to the floor. Within a matter of seconds both men transformed into their wolves attacking each other, crushing all the furniture within the nursery.

“STOP, PLEASE! JARED! EMBRY!” I cried out. I had to think about the safety of my unborn baby, so I found my way to the door and ran down the hallway and straight into a pair of warm arms.

“What the fuck is going on Kim?” Jacob said as he pulled me away from his chest so he could look down at me.

I wasn’t able to form any words as I stared back up at him with watery eyes.

“Go outside and wait for me.” He said as he lightly pushed me towards the screen door before taking off down the hall in the direction of the nursery.

As I reached the front yard I fell to my knees. I let the tears stream down my face, I was no longer able to hold them back. I knew this was my entire fault, which only made things 10 times worse for me. I was so worked up I bent over and began dry heaving.

The sound of cracking furniture stopped, the growling stopped, and the whimpering/squealing sound coming from a wolf in pain stopped, everything went silent. I wiped my mouth as I listened for any indication that Jared and Embry were ok, to lessen the huge amount of guilt I was experiencing.

Seconds later the three men came bursting through the front door, Jared first, Jacob behind him separating the two, and Embry trailing behind Jacob. Jared walked straight past me, looking through me as if I wasn’t there, I felt invisible to him. As he reached the tree line his brown wolf appeared once more.

When I could no longer see Jared I turned back to see Embry taking off down the driveway in the truck Jacob came in. Jacob offered me a hand. He quick pulled me up, and then disappeared into the house for a few seconds. When he returned he held my car keys in his hands. “Come on.” He said walking to the car.

“Where are we going?” I asked as I got in.

“The hospital, Emily had her baby.” He replied slamming the door.

“Is Jared…” I began, but Jacob already knew what I was going to ask. “Jared will get there when he gets there.” Jacob replied coldly.
Too afraid to speak anymore, I turned in my seat and stared out the window into the woods thinking maybe I would be able to see a glimpse of Jared.

“Kim I don’t even know where to begin with you.” Jacob said breaking the silence. “What were you thinking?” He asked letting his frustration be known within the tone of his voice.

“I wasn’t.” I whispered still staring out the window, too ashamed to look my cousin in the face.

“Yea, we’ve come to that conclusion already. You and Embry both clearly lost you minds.”

“Don’t be mad at Embry. I was the one who begged him not to tell Jared. Hate me all you want, just leave Embry out of this.” I said as I turned to face Jacob.

Jacob remained silent as he stared out at the road. Finally he released a deep breath, “Kim I don’t hate you.” He began in a much calmer tone, “I’m just mad you kept that from us. I don’t know what your excuse is for not telling Jared, but why couldn’t you tell me? Did I ever make you feel like you weren’t able to talk to me?”

“I’m sorry Jacob.” I whispered in defeat.

“I know you are, and I forgive you, but it might take Jared some time.”

“I know.” I replied, sniffling, trying to keep my nose from running.

“No you don’t know. He’s hurt that you didn’t have enough faith in him to tell him what was going on. He’s your imprint Kim, you and this baby are the center of his world, he’s here to protect you. You put yourself and the baby in danger with the choice you made.”

“I was with someone all the time. Embry was there when Jared wasn’t.”

“Embry is one wolf. If you would have told us, the whole pack would have been looking out for this creep on their patrols. If we would have known Eli wouldn’t have been able to get within five miles of Washington without one of us knowing.”

I knew he was right, there was no point in arguing my side, because it crumpled around me the minute Jared found out.

“So what should I do about Jared?” I asked.

“Honestly, I don’t know. Give him space, like I said he is your imprint, so he is tied down to you.” Jacob replied.

I sucked in a sharp breath at his choice of words; they were like a knife through the heart. “He is tied down” to me, Jacob’s words echoed in my head. As the car slowed when we reached the hospital parking lot I barely waited for the car to come to a stop before exiting.

“Kim wait, what’s wrong?” Jacob called from behind trying to catch up.

“He’s “tied down” to me Jacob? Are you trying to hurt me as punishment for what I’ve done, mission accomplished” I scoffed as I turned to look back at my cousin’s puzzled face.

“Kim I didn’t mean it like that, I’m sorry. I just meant give him time and he’ll come back to you.” Jacob said with eyes filled of sorrow.

“Yea, because he’s tied down to me right?” I said through a shaky voice.

Jacob grabbed me and held me tight as he placed a kiss on the top of my head, “No, because he loves you.” He replied softly before using his thumb to wipe away the tears from my eyes. Something in his voice made everything feel like everything was ok; I looked up into his eyes and returned the warm smile he was giving me.

The moment was interrupted by a pissed off Leah bursting through the hospital doors. She pushed on past us without acknowledging we were there. Before she was too far away I was able to catch her mumbling something under her breath about a bitch kicking her out of the room.

“Now what?” Jacob asked out loud as he rushed inside to get some answers. I followed slowly behind.

When we reached the hall Emily’s room was in we saw a Doctor pushing everyone except Sam from the room. “Family only until I can calm the mother down,” the doctor announced before heading back into the room and closing the door behind him.

“What’s going on?” Jacob asked still frustrated as we approached the pack standing out in the hallway.

Seth made his way through the group smiling, “Leah imprinted on baby Mika.”