Status: Active, not sure of frequency of updates

Give 'Em Hell, Kid

Chapter Eight

Alexia had managed to convince my mother to let all the guys stay over on the night of the party so that we could all go. Alexia knew how to reduce my mother into a sentimental wreck. All it took was the mention of her mother and my mother would do anything for her. My mother and Mrs Collins had grown up together and were best friends in their teenage years. It made my mother feel responsible for Alexia. Needless to say, it meant Alexia had my mother wrapped around her finger.

My mother went to bed at half eight that night, telling us to be careful and not to do anything stupid.

‘Okay, let’s get ready’ Frank all but shouted. I glared at him, his enthusiasm infuriating me.
Frank used Mikey’s room to get ready, while Ray and I went to my room. We had gym class together so we were comfortable enough to awkwardly change in the same room.

‘So, what’s going on with you and Lexi?’

The question came out of nowhere, making me pause as I buckled by belt.

‘What do you mean?’

‘C’mon man, you’ve been acting all weird the past couple of days, so has Lexi. Did something happen?’

I didn’t answer straight away, my mind quickly trying to figure out if I should tell him anything.

‘I asked her to Homecoming on Monday.’

‘As in a date?’

‘Uh¬-huh’

‘She said yes I take it?’

‘Yup.’

‘Cool.’

That was Ray I suppose. He took everything in his stride and never made a big deal out of anything. I was thankful for that. When half nine came we were still waiting for Alexia. We were sitting in the living room, staring at the TV without really watching it.

‘Hey, you guys ready?’

We turned around to look for the source of the voice. My throat went dry when I looked at her, my eyes taking the sight of her walking down the stairs. She was wearing the blue dress she mentioned to my mother earlier, the silky midnight blue material fitting her like a glove. It was knee length, giving me a good view of her legs. Her hair was decorated with a silver diamante clip to the side, showing off her face for once. She had lined her eyes with black eyeliner, her lips coated with a light pink lip gloss. She was stunning.

‘Since when do you wear make up?’

Mikey ruined the moment. Alexia’s confidence seemed to slip away, her bottom lip caught between her teeth.

‘Since tonight…does it look really bad? I’ll go take it off.’

She started to walk back up the stairs.

‘No, don’t! You look nice, really!’

Alexia’s eyes focused on Mikey, disbelief written on her face.

‘You look beautiful.’

The words slipped out of my mouth before my brain could filter them. When I realised what I had said I felt my cheeks heat up, the others staring at me.

‘Thanks.’ Alexia murmured, her cheeks as red as mine felt.

‘Alright, let’s get going’ I ordered, grabbing my keys and praying that tonight wouldn’t end in disaster.

The music could be heard from a block away, the car vibrated from the force of the high decimals that disturbed the otherwise quiet street. I parked the car, looking at everyone to gage their reactions. Mikey and Frank seemed excited, Ray looked like he couldn’t care less and Alexia was chewing her nails.

‘You guys ready?’ I asked turning the engine off and sliding the keys into my pocket. They all nodded exiting the car quietly.

‘Guys, cheer the fuck up. We’re going to a party, it’s gonna be fun!’ I felt slightly guilty at Frank’s outburst, knowing his words were meant for me really. I was killing his happy buzz. Maybe he was right and the party would be fun.

‘Okay, you’re right. Just…everyone be careful, okay? I’d rather no one gets absolutely hammered, Mom will flip if we come home pissed.’ I warned, walking up the long winding drive way to the huge mansion of a house. The place was full of teenagers, the vast majority with red cups in their hands. The well maintained yard, which I’m certain was perfect before the party started, was littered with empty cups and other trash that made me feel sorry for whoever had the job of cleaning it up. The front door was opened due to the amount of people who were exiting to have a ‘smoke’ in the garden. While I had never tried drugs before it didn’t take a genius to realise that the smell was weed. We walked past the stoners, entering the house through its red door. There were even more people inside, the place full to capacity. I could barely make out the design of the house, I could see the walls were painted a champagne colour and crystal chandeliers. The rest was skewed to the eye.

‘We should go find the drink, I’ll think we’ll need it’ Ray was clearly uncomfortable with the size of the party.

‘Sure, I’m guessing it’s through here’ I pointed to the room on my left, where the majority of people seemed to have gathered. We pushed our way through the crowd, keeping close to each other to ensure we didn’t get separated yet. When I saw some random drunk kid bump into to Alexia I grabbed her hand, my instincts taking over as I pulled her up beside me. The guys said nothing at this, following me to the table where the alcohol was kept. I had never seen so much beer, vodka and brightly coloured Alco-pops in my life, Evans had clearly spent a lot of money on this party. I grabbed a beer for myself, my limit for the night due to my position as designated driver. The rest guys poured beer from the keg except Alexia, who made herself a drink of Vodka and soda. She smiled wickedly at me as she took her first drink, pleased with the free drink.

‘We should probably mingle a little, we’ll stick out like sore thumbs if we stand around here looking awkward’ she suggested after taking a rather large sip of alcohol.

‘I’m not sure if that’s a good idea’ I argued with her, afraid of losing her, or Frank, in the sea of people. While I knew they could look after themselves I’d rather not take the chance of something happening to them.

‘Oh, don’t be so over protective! We’re here, let’s enjoy-‘

‘Hey Lexi!’

I turned around at the nickname. Nobody ever called Alexia by her nickname except Frank, Ray, Mikey and I. My eyes landed on Darren, automatically narrowing at him. I clenched my fist, resisting the urge to hit him.

‘Oh, hey’ Alexia blushed, making my fist twitch.

‘I didn’t think you’d come’ he smiled with satisfaction as he saw the effect he had on her.

She shrugged, looking into her cup with embarrassment. Darren glanced at me, his eyes taking my displeased expression and clenched fist in before a little smirk appeared on his face.

‘Well, I’ll be around, come find me later.’ With that he walked away, perhaps afraid I would actually cause a fight. Which I might have if he hung around for too much longer.

‘What’s wrong with you?’ Alexia asked when she finally looked at me.

‘Nothing, let’s go outside or something, it’s too hot in here.’ I grabbed Alexia’s hand again, hoping people would notice and word would get back to Darren. I wasn’t going to let some stuck up jock take Alexia away from me, not when we finally seemed to be going somewhere. I couldn’t help the small smile that broke out on my face when I felt her lace her fingers with mine, gripping my hand tightly. They fit so perfectly together, like our hands were just meant for each other. I looked at her face, finding that she was still blushing but now I was certain it was because of me. I wanted to kiss her, right there in front of everyone. I almost did, until Frank broke the moment.

‘So…are we going outside or what?’

He was pissed, I could tell by the death look he was throwing me. I ignored it, determined not to let him ruin this for me. I simply nodded my head, before leading the way out through the kitchen and out to the back garden, where the majority of people were smoking. I took the opportunity to light up my own cigarette, Ray and Mikey following my example.

‘Can I grab one?’ Frank asked me. I raised an eyebrow at him, before handing the packet to him along with my lighter. I was surprised he was talking to me, let alone having the balls to ask for my cigarettes. Then again, maybe I was over reacting, seeing a rival in someone who would never have a chance anyway.

Alexia rolled her eyes at us smoking, although she kept her mouth shut. She gave out to us for years for smoking before she gave up, instead shooting us looks that screamed ‘I won’t have sympathy when you all die from cancer.’ We tried, unsuccessfully, to get her to join us in our addiction but the thing about Alexia is that nobody can make her do anything she doesn’t want. No amount of peer pressure or name calling will change that, or hair pulling.

‘What are you rejects doing here?’

I turned around, jumping slightly at the unexpected voice. Johnston was towering over me, trying to be intimidating.

‘We got invited Johnston, now please do everyone a favour and kindly go fuck off and annoy someone who gives a shit.’

Alexia was still pissed about the incident on Monday, her voice cold as ice and hard.

‘Watch that mouth Collins, or I might have to find another use for it.’

I stepped forward, about to knock him out when Alexia stopped me, smiling at me.

‘Gerard don’t bother, he’s just trying to stir shit. He must be making up for his small dick. It’s interesting what you can find out in the girls locker room, isn’t it Johnston?’

Before I knew what was happening he raced forward, about to go for Alexia when he was pulled back.

‘Dwyane, don’t be a fucking idiot.’ Darren hissed, keeping a good grip on him. ‘Hitting a girl, at a party in front of everyone no less, is asking for fucking trouble. Walk away.’

He shrugged his arm out of Darren’s grip, shooting us a look of pure hatred before storming off.

‘You want to watch yourselves around him, he’s out for your blood. Don’t rile him up unless you want trouble ‘cos next time I mightn’t be around.’ Darren warned, staring at Alexia while he spoke before walking away and joining his group.

‘I need another drink. You guys wait here, I’ll get you all another one.’ Alexia sighed.

‘Wait, I’ll finish this and go with you’ I offered.

‘Nah, it’s fine, I won’t be long.’

I let her go, watching her retreating form enter the house while I finished the remainder of my cigarette.

‘He’s got a thing for Alexia.’ Frank muttered, pointing at Darren.

‘I know’ I replied, equally sour.

‘Dude, she wouldn’t actually go for him. He’s not her type, plus she hates the jocks. Do you really think she would actually go out with one?’ Mikey reasoned, trying to make me see sense.

‘True’ I agreed. One of the stoners came over to us, joining us for a while. He was enthusiastic, and definitely high. He was interesting though, so much so I forget about Alexia.

‘Guys, I’m going to check on Lexi, she’s been gone for a while.’

I didn’t wait for a response, my feet impatient to get going and find her. I pushed through the crowd in the kitchen, my eyes scanning for a sign of her. Before I could find her I heard a high pitch call out my name.

‘Gerard! I was hoping you would turn up’ Brittany slurred at me, coming right up to me and invading my personal space. I tried to take a step back but instead ended up getting pushed closer to her.

‘He-hey…Brittany. I was just looking for someone.’

‘And you did, you found me!’

I laughed weakly, my smile forced.

‘Sure…anyway I better-‘

‘You’re so cute, you know that! That whole awkward act, it’s kinda hot.’

It happened so quickly I didn’t realise what had happened at first. Her lips came crashing into mine, her lip gloss sticky and unappealing. I stood in shock for a moment before pushing her away, disgusted. I heard the sound of bottles smash behind me, my eyes automatically searching for the source of the noise. They widened when they fell on Alexia, shock and hurt written on her face. I could see the tears welling in her eyes before she turned and fled, getting lost in the crowd.

‘Shit’ I cussed, walking away from Brittany who looked livid. I ignored her, the only thought racing through my mind was that I needed to find Alexia. I fought against the bodies blocking my path, my movements growing more desperate when I lost sight of her completely. My hands gripped my hair, frustrated at Brittany and her perfect fucking timing.
♠ ♠ ♠
I deleted chapter the original chapter nine. It just didn't feel right. So, instead I just added extra to this :)