Status: Writing :)

Collectively Unconsciously Composed

life changing

“Scout, come to my office please,” Shannon said, walking by my desk and dropping off a folder on the top of a pile of pictures.

I picked up the folder to see it was addressed to me. I was about to open it when someone cleared their throat. I saw Shannon standing in the doorway of her office as I quickly grabbed the folder and made my way over.

“Take a seat please,” she commanded as I sat down in a wooden chair in front of her desk. I never liked Shannon’s office; it always had that sterile hospital smell and the walls were too white. “Do you know why I asked you to come?” Shannon asked as I shook my head. “The photo shoot you did yesterday with One Direction? Well apparently the boys quite enjoyed your photography skills and want you to come on tour with them,” Shannon said as I gulped.

“Come on tour with them?” I whispered as Shannon nodded. “I barely even know who these people are and they want me to come live with them for months?”

“Yes. There is more information in the folder I gave you,” Shannon said pointedly as she motioned toward the folder in my hand. I hadn’t even realized I was holding on to it so tightly until my hand began to shake.

“What about work here?” I asked quietly, “And my apartment and my life? I can’t just drop everything and go.”

“Yes, you can, and you will if you want to keep your job,” Shannon said, her voice firm. “Scout,” she began, her voice softening, “I know this is a huge leap for you, but I believe that you are the best photographer here. I think this will be a wonderful learning experience and an adventure.”

I took a deep breath and nodded. “Okay, I’ll do it,” I said, my voice weak.

“Very good. Go home and look through the folder. I will see you at work,” Shannon said, motioning for me to leave her office.

My legs were numb as I exited the office and slumped down in the chair at my desk. I pinched the bridge of my nose with my thumb and forefinger. I took a deep breath and opened the folder. Inside were sheets of what I should bring on tour, what I would be photographing, and the dates and locations of shows. I saw that I was to be picked up the next time One Direction had a show in Chicago; three days from now.

*****

“Do you have everything? Shoes, toothbrush, makeup, and camera stuff?” Kat said, running around the apartment as I chuckled.

“Yes Kat, I have everything. I triple checked,” I giggled as I watched her zoom in and out of doors.

“I just don’t want you to forget anything, you know because you’ll be gone for three months,” she said as I sighed. I motioned for her to sit on our beat up sofa as she obliged and sat next to me.

“I am absolutely terrified,” I said truthfully. “As if I weren’t shy enough already; it’s like school all over again,” I mumbled, putting my face in my hands.

Kat put a comforting arm around my shoulders and sighed. “It’s an amazing opportunity, don’t chicken out now,” she said as I glared at her. “You get to go on tour with One Direction for three months. That’s every teenage girl’s dream,” she said dreamily as I giggled.

“You make it seem like you love them too,” I said as she blushed. I widened my eyes as she continued to blush. “Oh my god you do! Which one is your favorite?” I giggled as she shot me a look.

“Zayn,” she mumbled as I grinned.

“Well you know, I am going to be living with them for three months, maybe I could put in a good word for you?” I asked as her eyes widened.

“No stop, you would seriously do that?” she grinned as I smiled.

“Sure, why not,” I laughed as she hugged me tightly.

“Have I ever told you you’re the best friend ever?” She asked as I chuckled.

“No, but thank you,” I said, wriggling out of her grasp. I stood up to go check I had everything again when the doorbell rang. My breathing suddenly sped up as Kat stood up to answer the door. A tall man dressed in black was on the other side of the door as Kat motioned for him to come in.

“You must be Scout?” He asked, eyeing my entire luggage.

“Yeah, that’s me,” I smiled shyly. I grabbed my luggage but the man stopped me and instead grabbed it himself. I grabbed my purse and followed the man out the door. I waved at Kat and gave her a small smile.

“Call if you need anything!” she called as I nodded before shutting the door.

I followed the man, which I now assumed was a bodyguard, down the hall and to the lift. I pulled my cardigan tighter around me as we stepped outside into the cold winter night. It was just beginning to snow when a large black SUV pulled up. The man motioned for me to get in as he put my luggage in the boot. I clambered into the large SUV as the man claimed the passenger seat. I sank down into my seat and pulled out my phone.

“The boys are just finishing up their concert, so we will be able to load everything and then get on the buses,” the man said as I nodded. “I’m Paul,” he said as I offered him a small smile.

The drive to the venue was short, and I was soon greeted by the gust of snowy wind. I stuffed my hand in the pockets of my jeans and followed Paul to the bus I would be staying on.

“You’ll be staying with the boys on their bus, Scout,” he said as my eyes widened. He opened the door as I stepped on to the heated bus. The heat was a warm welcome, but that didn’t stop my heart from practically beating out of my chest.

“I’m not sure which bunk is whose, but the boys will help you out. Give me a ring if you need anything,” Paul said, handing me a card with several numbers on it. Paul’s walkie-talkie seemed to be going off, so he excused himself and clambered off the bus.

I sank down on a sofa and hugged my knees to my chest. I’ll only see the boys a few hours a day, probably. I decided that worrying would do nothing but make me sick, so I decided to pull out my favorite book, To Kill a Mockingbird. I was halfway through chapter two when I heard screams. I folded my page and stood up to look out the window.

A horde of teenage girls were running in the direction of the bus as I gulped. I knew they would never be able to get on, but I still worried. A line of security guards appeared and worked to hold back the crowd. The screams got louder as the security guards struggled to fend off the creaming teens. I saw girls desperately reaching for something as I craned my head to see what they were grabbing at. Before I could see what they were screaming about, the door of the bus burst open.

“Well that was fun, lads.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm cranking out so many chapters right now