‹ Prequel: Child of Wolf
Sequel: The Guardians
Status: First Teen Wolf Fanfiction! Hopefully it doesn't suck!!!!

The Guardians

Hardest of Hearts

A couple hours later, I hear Derek finally coming downstairs. I don’t movie I continue to watch the movie I put in. Not moving my eyes from the TV, I sense Derek sitting down next to me, “what movie are you watching?”

“The new Red Riding Hood.” I reply, earning a humorless chuckle from Derek.

“Werewolves? Don’t you get enough of them in your daily life?” He questions. I just simply shrug before pausing the movie then turning towards Derek.

“Are we going to talk about the elephant in the room?” I ask, “about you overreaction?” Derek just sighs before getting up off the couch. I grab his wrist and pull him back down, “I get that you want to protect me but I don’t need protection. I lasted six going on seven years without you protecting me; I’m sure I can handle myself.”

“I can’t lose someone else I care about.” He admits, “I nearly lost most of my pack and I’ll be damned if I lose you too.”

“What if me going with the Alphas could benefit us?” I question, “I could be the packs eyes and ears; I can find out the Alphas’ plans.”

“And if they catch you you’ll be dead.” He counters, “you’re not going to be a bargaining chip. I’m not going to allow it and Scott is going to be on the same boat. We’re not going to let you feed your to the wolves.”

“We’re going to need to find something that’ll work against them.” I sigh, “we can’t just wait for the lunar eclipse. The pack isn’t going to know what to do.”

“How do you know that?” He asks.

“Because I know you and I know that you didn’t tell them what happens to werewolves on the lunar eclipse.” I reply, “when are you going to tell them what happens?”

“That’s my business.” He snaps, “it has nothing to do with you.”

“I am the Guardian, remember?” I sigh, “I think you should inform them what happens before it’s too late. We can train them and get them ready for it. I’m sure that’s when you plan on going after the Alphas.”

“How did you know?” He gives me a questioning look.

“Because that’s what I would have done.” I reply. “Just promise me, you’ll warn them. I don’t want them to get hurt…”

**

The next two days , Derek and I have fallen into a routine. I’ve gotten used to him being around. We make breakfast, bicker over something stupid, watch a few movies, have lunch, fight some more before we eat dinner and go our separate ways for the evening. Tonight isn’t any different.

Just as Derek heads to the attic for some alone brooding time, there is a knock on the door. Derek stops where he is, smelling the air, “it’s Cora.” He informs me, “along with Stiles.”

“Go, then!” I usher him away, knowing he’s not ready to face anyone else. As soon as I hear the attic door close, I head and open the door; a smile on my face. “Hey, guys. What brings you here?”

“You’re the only person that knows Derek, besides Peter,” Stiles begins, “he told us something and we want to know how much of it was a lie.”

“Come in.” I invite the teenagers into my home, despite the man they’re looking for is safe and sound inside my wolf sense proof attic. “What story did Uncle Psycho tell you about?” I ask as we walk into the living room. They take a seat on the couch while I curl up on the loveseat; bringing my knees up to my chest.

“He told us the story about why Derek’s eyes changed,” Stiles informs me, “the story about---”

“Paige.” I cut him off. “I never saw Derek so distraught before. He really loved Paige and not just some teenage puppy dog love, it was written in his eyes. Even at a young age, Derek knew Paige was perfect for him.”

“So Peter was right, Derek wanted to turn her into a werewolf so they could be together forever?” Cora asks.

“Your brother didn’t want to turn her at first,” I reply, “your uncle talked him into it. Trust me, your uncle got into Derek’s head and told him the only way for them to be together forever is if Paige got bitten.”

“Well that’s one lie.” Stiles mutters, “so Derek really killed her?”

“She was dying anyway, her body was rejecting the bite.” I reply. “She was in pain and was begging Derek to kill her. He didn’t want to, he didn’t want to hurt the girl he loved the most. But deep down, he knew he had to do it.”

“Peter was right for the most part.” Stiles states, sounding shocked.

“He has his moments of doing the right thing.” I chuckle, “anything else you guys need?”

“For Derek to come back and help us face our problems.” Cora mutters.

“He’ll be back soon,” I assure them. “Cora, you know how you brother gets. He needs time to think and reflect.”

“Don’t you have a connection to him?” Stiles asks, “can’t you tell us where he is? Can’t you sense that?”

“I can but I know he wouldn’t want to be bothered.” I reply, “if I knew he was in danger, I would have informed you guys.”

“One more question, “Stiles tells me, “what happened to your neck?”

Subconsciously my hand goes straight to my neck were there are four holes, “it’s nothing for you to worry about.” I assure him; forcing a smile onto my lips. “Now get going, you’ve got school in the morning.” Stiles groans but both him and Cora leave. As soon as I hear Stiles’ Jeep pull away, I head to the attic. I open the door and climb up and see Derek laying on the mattress and looking out the sky light. A smile appears across my lips as I crawl over and curl up on the mattress with him.

“You heard, didn’t you?’ I ask, laying my head on his chest.

“Out of all the girls I’ve been involved with, Paige is the only one you talk to nicely about.” He notes, “why is that?”

“She’s the only one that has the best friend’s stamped approval.” I reply with a chuckle, “plus she wasn’t psychotic.” He just chuckles before beginning to play with my hair, “you’re gonna have to leave the attic sooner or later; you know that right?”

“I’m aware.” He sighs.

“Whatever is going through your mind, just remember that it wasn’t your fault.” I tell him. “You’re a good person Derek, even if you don’t think so…”
♠ ♠ ♠
writing this while half asleep for the win!

comment&subscribe?