Status: Writing!

And You Let Her Go

Encounters

“I’ll get there as soon as I can, you’re to-do list was longer than usual,” I reminded my boss, Ursula, as she hung up on me.

She had given me ten more tasks to complete that day. Some had to do with her dry-cleaning, her new fetish for caramel macchiatos, and let’s not forget the cupcake she just had to have for lunch at that “cute new pastry shop on Oak Street.”

I made my dad pull some strings to get me a job at the Chicago Sun-Times. Unfortunately, my dreams of becoming an editor were quickly crushed as I realized the only things I’d be learning from my boss were how to type and drink coffee at the same time.

I walked off the curb with three hangers on my arm, two boxes of cupcakes, a coffee tray from Starbucks, and a new pair of Louboutin’s I spotted in the window of their shoe store. That was one of the perks of having a #1 best-selling author as your father.

A cab finally pulled up after I waved my arm around for about two minutes. As I got in I heard the other door of the yellow car close. Looking across the seats I saw a pair of beautiful green eyes looking at me. “Excuse me, but I think I called this cab first, and I’m already running late, so…” I looked at the cab driver hoping he could do something about the boy sitting next to me, but he just raised his arms in the air as if surrendering.

“I believe you were the one who stole this cab from me,” The boy smirked at me, clearly amused by the situation. “But seeing as you have your hands full and are running late to wherever you are going, I’ll let you have it.” His English accent was prominent and insanely sexy. He ran his hand through his curly brown hair before hopping out the cab. His biceps were very defined and covered in a collection of tattoos.

He poked his head through the window before leaving again and gave a 50 to the cabbie. “Please take this beautiful woman wherever she pleases,” he looked over at me and winked. The cab pulled away from him and the boy was left in the street smiling at me with his hands in the pockets of his black skinny jeans. I turned back around leaning in the seat, releasing a deep breath I didn’t even know I was holding. I’ve seen my fair share of cute guys but that boy was something else. Plus, he’d called me beautiful.

********

“Come on! I’m serious, you have to believe me! This guy climbed into the same cab I was in a few months ago! Trust me, I’d never forget a face like that.” I threw my arms up in the air and signed loudly. My best friend Emily was on the other line as she went on about a boy band called One Direction. You’ll never guess who’s a member…

“All I’m saying is that if Harry fucking Styles was in your cab then I think he would have made himself known as Harry fucking Styles. Maybe you just met someone that had the same hair?” Whatever I said to Emily, she still wouldn’t be convinced.

“No,” I groaned, “if you had only seen his green eyes; you can’t forget that kind of color, and just the way he looked at me…” I sighed.

“Oh well, Em, I have to go. Today’s the big day!” She scoffed, knowing today was exactly opposite of a “big day,” since I was quitting my job. “Goooood luuuuuck, Charlieee!” she sang into the phone, as I laughed shaking my head.

********

I walked out of the office feeling liberated. No more getting trays of coffee for the staff on the 74th floor. No more picking up Ursula’s dry cleaning, no more cupcakes, and no more damn Ursula. She was as much a villain to me as she was in the Little Mermaid.

I decided to treat myself and grab lunch from my favorite Italian place under the Hancock Building. I called for another cab and climbed in, telling the cabbie my desired location.

The next few days were very different; only because I didn’t have to wake up every morning at six to complete Ursula’s damn to-do list. My sheets and duvet suddenly felt a lot more comfortable as I wrapped myself in a cocoon. I fluffed up my pillow and slowly fell deeper into unconsciousness.

********

As I walked along Rush Street towards my favorite part of downtown, I instantly remembered that I had forgotten my keys at the Argo Tea shop. I turned around and crashed into what seemed like a wall. As I looked up though I noticed it was a hooded figure looking down at me.

“Shit, oh my god I’m sorry,” I muttered. Why was this guy wearing a hood? It was at least 80 degrees out today… The figure put his hood down revealing himself.

“Hey!” A grin appeared on his face. “You’re the girl who stole my cab!” My jaw dropped. This was not happening.

“You… You’re… As I recall it was you who wanted to take it.” I stumbled over my words. God, I must’ve sounded like an idiot to this guy. I can only imagine what was going through his mind right now.

“Well, you haven’t changed at all. Except you did get more gorgeous from the last time I remember you, if that’s even possible.” His green eyes had a hint of blue in them as he continued to stare at me. I could tell my face add a hue of red when he chuckled at my reaction. He really knew how to make me go weak. I tried to compose myself and think of the right thing to say to him.

“I wish I could say the same for you. Last time I saw you, you weren’t in the biggest boy band in the world.” He let out a sigh, “Ahh, so you know me then. Technically, I was already in the band last I saw you; we just weren’t popular in America yet. But here’s a proper introduction anyway. I’m Harry Styles,” he gave me a crooked smile and shook my hand. I looked up at him again and continued to shake his hand.

“And you are…?” he asked.

“Oh, yes! Umm, I’m Charlotte Jenson. Charlie. Well, it’s Charlotte, but I like Charlie.” I blushed again.

Harry chuckled, “Well, Charlie, I’m glad I bumped into you. I wouldn’t mind making this a monthly thing. Maybe even weekly?” He gave me a shy smile and then winked at me again. What was with this boy?

“If it means you’ll keep paying for my taxis, then I guess I can’t say no,” I winked back at him. He threw his head back and laughed. “You catch on quickly,” he chuckled. “What do you say for some tea, yeah?” I looked at my shoes nervously, not knowing what to say to him, but I didn’t want to leave him either.

“I’m actually coming back from getting some tea, but I forgot my keys there. You can walk back with me…if you want?” I wasn’t very good at this. I don’t even know why he was still standing here with me.

“Yeah, let’s go,” He took my hand and we walked towards the teashop. The feel of his large hand in mine felt perfect, like my small hands were meant to fit in his. It felt very familiar and safe—a feeling I wasn’t accustomed to.
♠ ♠ ♠
happpyy readinggg :)