Status: Completed

Shake Me Awake

Chapter 16

“So, you’re really leaving then?” My head hangs low as I try to comprehend the situation I’m faced with. “But I love you, Kent. What about us?” A tear I can’t hold back makes its way past my cheeks and onto my lips as I grab my bag and ready myself to leave his apartment.

He grabs my arm lovingly, stopping my quick escape. “Come with me, Spencer.” A smile spreads across his face after he releases the words.

“Wh – What? Come with you?” I’m completely shocked by his question. Yes, when he was originally offered the job across the country I had thought about leaving with him. But I quickly pushed that from my mind as I knew that would be crazy. He’s the love of my life, but I would hate to assume he wanted me to go with him. I couldn’t bear the humiliation.

“Yes! Of course. You thought I would just leave you?” He wraps me into a tight hug as he continues. “Baby, how could you think that?”

Silence befalls us as we stand in his living room embracing each other. After a few moments he releases the comfortable hug and heads into this bedroom; leaving me to stand in my own little puddle of confusion.

He returns with hands behind his back; a teeth filled smile on his face. He steps in front of me and bends onto one knee, grabbing my left hand in the process. “Kent?” I question as we gaze into each others eyes.

My eyes widen as to the hope and craziness at with this gesture might mean.

“Come with me Spencer. Move across the country and start a life with me,” he starts. My mind is blank as I listen to his words. “I love you more than I could possible describe to you. You are my best friend. You are the love of my life.” He takes a deep breath before he continues. “Spencer Rae Blake, Marry me. Run away with me. I don’t care. Just come with me.” His eyes release small tears as he finishes.

By now I can no longer compress the water that has filled my eyes yet again. I continue to stare at Kent through the sobs, not knowing what to say. He stands after moments of silence, bringing his hands to cup my face. “Spencer, say something.” His voice is worried.

“You want to marry me?” My voice is shaky as I try to comprehend what he just told me. I can hardly believe that this is happening.

“Of course I do, Spencer. I love you more than anything in the world. I could never leave you.” He wraps me in another hug as the weight of his words sink in.

He does love me like I love him. He does want to be with me. And it only took me a year and four months to figure it out.

“So,” he asks nervously, “what do you say? Run away with me?”

I look deeply into his eyes as the last few tears fall from my eyes. I take his hand in mine as I steady my voice to reply, “yes, Kent. I’ll go anywhere with you.”

Looks like we finally found what we’ve both been looking for after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's it!

Thanks so much to everyone that read. Please let me know what you think and anything you know of that can help make this better.