Summertime Sadness

In My Time of Dying

It was learned on Sunday that eighteen-year-old Penelope Summers, a well-loved and admired member of this community, had passed away. She disappeared sometime on Saturday night during Portland High's annual prom—shortly after being crowned 'prom queen' herself. Penelope left the dance without her date, long-time boyfriend Zackary Foster, and went missing for nearly nine hours. The body was discovered by a jogger approximately 7:15 Sunday morning.

Foul play does not seem to be suspected. It appears that Penelope took her own life on the Vista Bridge, also known as "Suicide Bridge". In the past ten years, eighteen poor souls have taken their own lives by jumping. Family and friends are in shock over this terrible loss. Nobody had suspected Penelope was troubled in any way. Her mother informed us that she had always been such a happy girl. Portland is reeling over the loss of this brilliant girl whose future has been ripped away by her own design. No note has been found.

A memorial is being held tomorrow night at 7:30 outside Portland High School where Penelope was a senior. The funeral will be closed to the public.

Penelope is survived by both her parents and elder brother. They would like to share this verse in their difficult time:
“The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away.” Job 1:21 – Portland Tribune
♠ ♠ ♠
Inspired by Lana's Summertime Sadness. Probably won't be more than a few chapters.