You're Such a Fool

Chapter Twelve

The next week I avoided Max and Jacky as much as I could. If I avoided Jacky while avoiding Max at the same time, then Jacky wouldn't know I was avoiding Max therefore won't tell Max I was in fact avoiding him because It was all part of a big stupid plan to get him back with Nason. Confusing, I know, but it made sense in my fucked up mind.

I was mad at Jacky anyways. He was supposed to be my best friend but he'd be so quick to sell me out. It wasn't like Jacky even talked to Max before this but now Jacky was acting like they were best friends. He's trying to make this plan sound worse than it was. It wasn't like I was going to kill Max's dog and spit on its grave. Ok, maybe that was a bad analogy but the point is there's worse things I could do. A heartbreak won't kill him.

Friday afternoon, I had to stay after last period to clean my station. I was a ware that Max was waiting on me so I took my time. I never bothered texting Max but I knew he wouldn't leave. I was being immature but I had to be for this plan to work.

I finished cleaning up and headed out. I noticed I had two texts from Max, both asking where I was. I didn't respond. I walked through the parking lot to my car. I was hoping Max wouldn't bitch at me for being late. I was not in the mood.

"Apologize, bitch!" A dark-skinned boy suddenly yelled. I stopped mid-step, looking around for the source.

"You want me to apologize because you ran into me?" I'd recognize that voice from anywhere. Max. What the fuck did he get himself into?

"I ain't run into shit, faggot."

"I see you also "ain't" been taught proper grammar."

"You think you smarta' than me?"

I resisted the urge to groan and followed the voices to behind a large truck where Andre', a varsity basketball player, had Max pinned against the vehicle.

Andre' and I used to be friends when we were young but now the only time we spoke was when he was buying weed from me. He was a dick.

Andre' threw Max to the ground and kicked him in the stomach. Even from yards away, I saw the pain on Max's face. Something went off in me and I rushed over, pushing Andre' away. "Leave him alone, asshole." I snapped. Andre' stumbled back in surprise.

"What the hell, Ronnie? I'm only teaching this faggot some manners."

"That 'faggot' is my boyfriend and if you touch him again, I swear I'll beat the shit out of you." I don't know what came over me but suddenly I was pissed. Who the hell did this guy think he was hurting my boyfriend? Even if I was only using Max, I still wasn't going to let anyone hit him.

"You gay, Radke?" Andre' exclaimed. "Aw, hell naw. Looks like I'll be taking my business somewhere else. I ain't buying from no cock sucker."

He shoved past me and climbed into his car. Max was on his feet, holding his stomach. He refused to look at me and just started walking towards my truck. We got in without a word.

On the way back to his place, Max stared out the window silently. I kept stealing glances to check on him. Andre' kicked him pretty hard and he'd probably be bruised. I felt the need to say something for some reason.

"Uh-are you like ok?" It came out awkwardly. This was not my forté.

"Yeah, thanks." Max didn't even look my way.

"Has he bothered you before this?"

"No. This was the first."

"Well if he gives you anymore shit, tell me."

I never really like Andre'. He was just a huge pothead that only ever talked about getting high, He's one of those people who thinks they're all hardcore because they smoke weed. It didn't really bother me that he's going to stop buying from me because I already make more than enough. Besides, I'll have a new buyer in a week.

"Thanks, Ronnie."

We got to his apartment complex and I dropped him off at the bus stop in case General fuck-face was waiting. Instead of immediately getting out like he's been doing lately, Max pulled me into a kiss. It was rough but I didn't mind too much.

When I pulled away, Max attached himself to my neck. It took several minutes to pry him away. He almost seemed desperate. I didn't think too much of it.

Later after I got home and sat down for dinner, I got a text from Max

Mom and Chris went out to dinner. I'm lonely.

I'll be over in ten.

I scarfed down my noodles and hopped in the El Camino. Max was lonely and I had to fix that. With how frisky Max was earlier in the car,I knew I was getting laid.

Not too long later, I was at his apartment, on his bed, inside of him.

We never did much foreplay. Just a couple minutes worth of grinding and making out and then we fucked. That's where all the fun came in.

Biting, clawing, sucking any flesh we could find to the point of drawing blood. It was hot and sweaty and full of lust. There was nothing loving about it. No passion. No affection. Nothing of the sort. It was just sex.

After it was over, we got dressed and I was getting ready to leave. Max came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my body, kissing my neck.

"Why don't you stay a bit?"

"I need to get out of here before your parents get home." I said absently, slipping on my jacket. "I'll call you later though."

Maybe.

I slipped out of his grip and left the room. Just as I got to the living room,I heard the front door being unlocked. A wave of panic ran through me and I bolted back to Max's room and slammed the door. Max was lying in his bed and looked up in confusion.

"They're home." I said just as the front door opened and shut. I looked around desperately for an escape and settled for the closet. "Read a book." I hissed. It was cramped in the closet but at least it was clean. For once I was thankful his his freaky, organizational habit.

I peaked through the cracks as Max's mom walked in. Max had picked up the book from his desk and put on his glasses.

"Hey,Max. We're home.did you finish your homework?"

"Mom, it's Friday."

"Is that what I asked,Maxwell? You know, I checked your grades online earlier and I saw you got a B on your last math test. That is unacceptable."

Holy shit. She was pissed because Max got a B? I was lucky if I got D's. Max was only a sophomore and he was already taking higher level classes than me. This lady needed need to chill.

"I still have an A in the class, mom."

"It doesn't matter. You can't slack off now."

"I'll do better." Max didn't sound too convincing, more annoyed than anything, yet his mom believed him.

"You better. Don't stay up too late." She backed out of the room and shut the door. I counted to 60 before coming out.

"That lady is the devil." Max muttered, eyes closed and massaging his temples. I chuckled and sat down on the edge of his bed.

"Is she really that angry over a B?"

"Yep, because I could have gotten an A."

"She's crazy. You're like one of the smartest kids in the school." I said and that wasn't an exaggeration. I've never met someone as smart as him. He seems like the kind of student that corrected teachers.

"She doesn't care. I have to be the best." He tossed his glasses back onto the desk. "Well it's quarter to eight. They don't go to bed until ten..."

Great. I was stuck here for two hours.

"Well now what?" I asked. Max glanced around his room and shrugged.

"Chess?" I stared at him blankly. He smiled. "I'm totally just joking."

I snorted and lied back, getting myself comfortable. For the next couple hours, we didn't do much. Max got out his laptop and we watched a movie. Well, we tried to.

He had a few different choices and we decided on The Lost Boys.

"That's one of my favorites." He told me.

"Dude, me too."

That caused us to get in a discussion on our favorite movies ( "The Breakfast Club!" "Sixteen Candles is better!" ) which in turn got us talking about our favorite bands. I didn't realize how much we had in common. We had the same taste in movies and music.

I think this was the first time I've ever actually talked to Max. He wasn't as lame as I thought. We were able to joke around a bit and I realized Max was pretty cool. We ended up only watching the first twenty minutes of the movie.

At five to ten,I had to dive under the bed when his mom came in to tell him goodnight. I'm surprised she didn't hear me curse when I hit my head on the frame.

After she left, Max and I gave it a while before I got ready to leave. "So I guess I'll see you Monday."

"Yep." I felt his eyes on me as I laced up my shoes.

"Unless you wanted to actually watch the movie." He suggested. I hesitated.

I'll admit I had fun tonight. And it was still early and I really didn't have anything better to do.

Oh, what the hell.

"Sure." I kicked off my shoes and jumped into bed with him again.

~~~

After the movie,I was getting ready to leave for real this time.

"Oh,come on, Ronnie. Interview with a Vampire is a great movie!" Max said.

"That movie sucked!" I argued.

Sometime during the credits, Max mentioned how much he loved that movie and I told him I hated it. We were were having a playful argument.

"What the hell are you talking about?" He got out of bed to stand in front of me. " That movie was preeminent! Great acting. Great plot. Great-"

"The plot sucked" I cut in. Max faked a gasp.

"How dare you? Have you even read the book?"

I gave him a look. "Does it really look like I read books?"

"True." He laughed. I smiled a little.

"Well, I gotta go."

Max stood in front of the door and shook his head. "I'm not moving until you admit it was a great movie."

"Oh, come on!"

"Say it."

"No."

"Say it!"

"No!"

"You're not leaving until you say it." Max said, smirking at me.

"Oh, yeah?" I challenged.

"Yeah."

I bent down to grab Max's leg and threw him over my shoulder. He let out a startled, "Ronnie!" and began to laugh, covering his mouth to muffle the sound. I playfully tossed him on the bed, laying down on top of him. He fought against me but I pinned his hands to the bed above his head.

"Let me up!" He whined.

"Say that I'm right."

"Ronnie!"

"Say it, Max."

"No!"

"Say it."

"Fine, you're right!"

"Was that so hard?" I don't know what came over me but I leaned down to peck him on the lips.

He smiled at me, biting the corner of his lip. God damn. Right then, he looked absolutely sexy. Laying under me with this suggestive look in his eyes.

For a split second, I forgot Max wasn't really my boyfriend. That this all wasn't a part of Nason's stupid plan. I wanted to kiss him again, but instead I stood up. I shook those thoughts from my head.

"I should go now." I paused when I got to the door, my hand on the knob. I wanted to leave, but at the same time I wanted to stay. I didn't know what I was going to do after this but I didn't want to go home yet. "Do you wanna go for a smoke?" I found myself asking.

So Max and I snuck out of his apartment and drove out to the lake. I took out the bag of weed and rolling paper I kept hidden deep in my glove compartment. My dad told me not to carry drugs in the car because it was too dangerous but you never know when you're gonna want to smoke up.

Max and I sat on the bed, feet hanging over the edge. It was dark out. There was no street lamps or house lights anywhere near us. Just the moon. Even in the dark, I expertly rolled a joint.

Max watched me as I licked the paper. He looked a little nervous. It didn't surprise he's never smoked weed before but I can't believe he was actually scared. Everyone smokes at our school.

"You've never smoked before?" I said.

"No..."

"Well try it. It isn't bad for you."

"But it- it kills your brain cells."

"You have plenty to spare, Max."

I finished the joint and held it out to him.

"You do this a lot, don't you?'

"Bring hot guys out to the lake to smoke weed? Yeah, totally."

He elbowed me in the side. I lit up, allowing Max to have the first hit. He did a lot better than I thought he would. He barely even coughed.

We passed it back and forth silently. I briefly though about turning on some music but decided against it. I liked the quiet. It was nice.

"Hey, Ronnie?" Max said as I took one last hit and flicked the stub into the water.

"Yeah?"

"Why don't we hang out more often?"

"Uh..." My mind was fuzzy and I had trouble forming a believable response. "I dunno."

"You know, sometimes I think-"

"Let's go swimming." I said suddenly, jumping to my feet and ending the conversation.

"Are you insane? It's February!"

"So?" It was a warm night, well warm for late February. We lived in Nevada. It never got that cold anyways. It was in the low 70's today for God's sake.

"Well we don't have anything to swim in."

I smirked at him, slipping my shirt over my head. "So?"

"Have you lost your mind? The water is probably freezing."

"So?" I said for a third time. I was already in my boxers while Max was fully dressed. I'm not sure if it was the weed but now I was actually excited about this. "Come on, Max. Live a little. Unless you know, you're scared."

He scoffed but I saw the consideration in his eyes. I knew my childish ploy worked. "Fine." He started undressed and a moment later, we were running ass naked down the dock and jumping into the water. It was a lot colder than I'd hoped.

It was like a thousand little pricks hitting me at once. When we resurfaced, Max gasped for breath.

"Holy shit. I told you it was freezing!" He said. " I'm getting out."

I grabbed his arm before he could swim back to the dock.

"It's not that bad, Max. You'll get used to it. Here, let me help you."

I splashed him in the face then swam away before he could get me back. "Asshole!" Max called. I knew he was chasing after me.

Since it was so cold, I lost my breath easily. That combined with the fact I hadn't swam in years made me get tired pretty quickly. I stopped to rest my sore arms and Max caught up to me

"Alright, alright. You got me. What are you gonna do?" He grabbed my face and brought our lips together in a deep kiss. "That's my punishment?"

"Nope. This is." He dunked my head under the water.

We spent the next couple minutes splashing and dunking each other and then making out. It was a fun time,I'll admit. We only got out because Max announced he was hungry. The swim back to the dock sucked. I was worn out

I hoisted myself onto the dock and helped Max up as well. Almost instantly after getting out, did the draft hit us and I didn't have anything towels or anything.

We dried off as best we could and got dressed. I turned the heat on high and we drive off to get some food. I noticed him shivering so I gave him the sweatshirt I kept in there again.

It was almost one in the morning and not many places were open. We did manage to find a diner that served breakfast 24/7.

The waitress working eyed us suspiciously as we walked in. I couldn't blame her though. Two soaking wet teenagers strolling into a diner at 1:00am to get waffles wasn't exactly a common site.

"What are y'all boys doin' out so late?" Our waitress asked with a thick southern accent.

"You know." I shrugged, taking a sip of my coffee she had set out. "This...and that."

She coughed awkwardly and quickly backed away. We must have scared her because a different waitress came to give us our food.

We were the only two in the joint besides the employees. Soft, classic rock music was playing from an old-fashioned jukebox.

Max and I scarfed our food down. We definitely had a case of the munchies. The conversation came easily. We talked like we were old friends. Though I hate to admit it, I liked it when Max and I were chill like this.

Nason hadn't blown up my phone all day asking how the plan was going. Now that I actually sat down and talked to Max, I realize Jacky was right. Max was an alright guy.

He's the kind of person I could see myself associating with. Under different circumstances, I could even say Max and I could be great friends. We liked the same music, movies, and had the same interests. If it weren't for him being a genius and me being a druggie, he'd be like a mini me. Except... Not really.

After our 1:00am breakfast, we snuck into the park to smoke. Maybe it was stupid to trespass in an area located next to a police station to smoke weed but I've done it plenty of times without trouble.

Tonight was different though...

Max and I were halfway through a joint when I noticed the glow of a flashlight in the distance. I stubbed out the joint and took Max's hand. We ran through the park not so inconspicuously, trying to find a place to hide.

Max suddenly yanked me towards the jungle gym. We climbed up the slide and squeezed into one of the many tunnels. We lied on our sides, facing each other as quietly as we could.

"The park is closed." A male voice said. "When I find you kids, you're gonna be in- ow, shit!

There was a thud. He must have tripped. I snickered softly and Max shushed me. Instead of freaking out like I expected him to be, he was smiling.

"You're gonna be in big trouble." The cop finished. His footsteps got closer and I held my breath.

I was mentally preparing myself for the escape we'd have to make when we get caught. I'd probably sacrifice Max and take off. Selfish, yes but I wasn't going to go to jail. Fuck that. It was either him or me.

Thankfully though, the cop didn't check the jungle gym. The crunching of dew grass got quieter and quieter before it was out of earshot.

I waited a few more minutes before having Max crawl out of the tunnel and following closely behind. We ran back to my car as fast as we could make our stoned asses go. Once safely in my car and on the road, we busted out laughing.

"Oh my god! That was exhilarating." Max said. "My heart's racing so fast, dude. And to think I always waste my weekend studying and shit."

It was almost 3:30am now and we called it a night. I drove Max back to his home and walked him to his door.

"Today was really fun. We should do this more often." He said, grabbing both my hands and intertwining our fingers.

"Yeah, we should." I replied automatically. I did have fun with Max. I know I'm supposed to be a complete asshole and break his heart, but that doesn't mean I can't have a little fun.

I wasn't falling for Max or anything. I was just having a good time. After tonight, I didn't consider Max as just a part of a plan. Now he was more like a friend with benefits that I'm deceiving and will hurt in the end.

Me liking Max as a person doesn't mean I'm not going to carry out the plan. Sure, it'll suck to lose such a good fuck but there were plenty other sluts I could hook up with.

But I didn't have to worry about that for a while. I could wait until I knew Max had fallen for me. Right now if we were to break up,it would hurt him, sure, but if I wanted to mess him up so bad he'd think his only choice was to go back with Nason (which I still don't understand the logic behind) then I'd have to wait a bit so I could completely destroy him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't realize how rushed this sounded until I read it over. I can't be bothered to rewrite it though. Sorry for the long wait. I'll try and update more consistently.