Status: Active.

My Curse Was Reversed

Chapter 10

I shoot up into a sitting position, just like this morning, I'm drenched in sweat and the images of the dream are still fresh in my memory. My breathing is heavy and loud, a little hysterical from my emotional state. My mouth lets out an involuntary sob but I soon clamp my hands over it, making the small pained sounds muffled and quieter.

Once I've managed to calm myself down, I glance over at the alarm clock, 2:34am. Jesus Christ, looks like I took more than a nap. I take another shaky breath before pushing myself off the bed. My stomach howls loudly, causing me to raise an eyebrow. Ah yes, I didn't participate in dinner.

I hold my stomach as it growls again, looks like my destination is the kitchen. I wipe the cold sweat from my forehead while stumbling out the room, I just manage to miss the door frame. Looks like I'll be sleeping again once I've fed myself.

I yawn while tip-toeing down the stairs, maybe they'll of left me something from dinner. To be honest I wouldn't mind that at all, mum's cooking is fantastic.

I'm about to stroll into the kitchen, but a something moving around in there catches my attention. Oh God that's another human being. The lights are all off and they're rummaging through the cupboards, not to mention they're wearing a black hoodie with the hood up. I gulp and take a step backwards, I can't just go back upstairs, that'll probably alert the dude that someone's awake.

I look around me, my eyes roaming for any kind of weapon. I spot a baseball bat by the coat rack, it looks like it could do the job. I silently move towards it and grab the steel object before moving back over to the door.

This is probably going to end badly.

I sneak into the kitchen, making sure that I stay behind him at all times. He seems too caught up in trying to find something though to even notice me. I suck on one of my lip rings before taking a big breath and advancing forward.

But as it's dark and I'm still half asleep, I miss the chair which is placed nearly in front of me. My foot catches on the leg, making it scrape across the floor and create a loud noise. I freeze in terror and so does the dude in front of me.

There is a two second silence before he whips around, quickly knocks the bat from my hands and throws me against the nearest wall, his hands tangling in my shirt to keep me in place. I clamp down on my bottom lip to stop the cry of pain and surprise, Jesus Christ twice in under 24 hours.

"Max?" The gruff voice asks, making me look up in surprise.

"Ronnie?" I gasp as he pulls down his hood and releases me.

"What the hell are you doing?!" He whispers loudly, making me snort a little.

"What the hell am I doing? I'm not the one stood in the dark with his hood up at two o'clock in the fucking morning!" I reply in the same tone, making him narrow his eyes at me.

"I'm going out in a minute and I need some booze, now answer me." He growls lowly, making me sigh.

"I'm hungry, is that a good enough answer for you?" I ask rhetorically, he doesn't seem too happy with my attitude. Eh, I've had a shit couple of days.

"Don't get snappy Maxie. Look, I'm going out and I'll probably be skipping school tomorrow. So keep quiet, and if anyone asks I've come down with something, that understood?" He tells me, I scoff and roll my eyes.

"And why am I going to do that?"

"Because otherwise I'll shove your iPod down your throat." He threatens, which I'll admit frightened me a little. But like I was gunna let it show.

"I seriously doubt that."

"I wouldn't Maxie, did you ever wonder why those two meatheads were trying to get back at me?" He asks, grinning a little as my eyes widen, "Not to mention I'm sure the school would love to know the real reason why you were missing yesterday afternoon."

"We sorted?" He asks, I only nod in reply before he moves back towards the cupboards. He soon pulls out a small bottle of vodka before tucking it in his pocket and winking at me.

"See you later." He smiles before brushing past me and walking out the room. I wait until I hear the front door open and close before relaxing.

I run a hand through my hair, wincing as it runs over my injured spot. I move to the fridge and find a bowl covered in tin foil, it has my name written sloppily on the top. I smile and shut the fridge door before opening the food. Mmm, Pasta and Meatballs.

I pop it in the microwave and warm it up before grabbing a spoon and digging in. I soon finish the tasty bowl before throwing it in the sink and rubbing my happy belly. I smile lightly before walking out the kitchen and back upstairs, once I'm securely back in my bed, my eyes flutter closed once again.

***

I groan as a deafening ringing came from me. It's way too early for me to get up, I don't want to leave my warm haven, but the repetitive ringing became annoying. I lazily threw off my covers and stretched before reaching over to the alarm clock and slamming the off button. I roll back onto the bed and stare up at the ceiling for a moment before pushing myself into a sitting position.

Once I've finally stood up I collect some clothes and wander into the bathroom down the hall. I repeat the same routine as I did yesterday before unlocking the door and almost bumping into a sleepy Travis. We both mutter a greeting before going our separate ways.

I trudge down the stairs and into the kitchen to find a pile of waffles stacked on a plate with syrup sat next to it. I let out a happy sigh and rush over to them before grabbing a plate and stealing two waffles. I cover them in syrup and take a seat at the table.

"Maxwell, before you even think about taking a bite out of those waffles you're going to tell us where Ronnie is." A pissed voice comes from behind me, causing me to jump three fucking feet in the air. I immediately turn around to find mum and Travis stood there with firm expressions plastered across their faces. I gulp and start to improvise.

"He...He's already on his way to school! Um, he left an hour ago, saying he needed to chat with a teacher." I lie, kinda believable if I do say so myself.

"Which teacher?" Travis grills while crossing his arms. I raise my eyebrows and shrug.

"He didn't say." I answer, making them glance at each other.

"How's he getting to school?" Mum asks. Jesus they don't give up easily.

"Um, I think he said something about a friend picking him up, I was still half asleep when he told me." I sigh while looking longingly at the waffles, they're getting cold.

"Hmmm...Fine, but if you're lying an extra month will be added to your grounding." Travis warns before grabbing some waffles. I smile a little and take a large bite of my first waffle. I don't think I'll ever get over her cooking.

Three sharp knocks on the door cause us all to freeze. Mum leaves the room to answer the door while I carry on with the waffles. It's just probably Ronnie's friends, they actually seem like nice dudes who...who probably don't know that he isn't here.

My eyes widen and I almost choke on the waffle in my mouth. Oh shit, oh shit. This isn't going to go well. When the four walk in the room of course they go straight for the waffles, it's no wonder why mum makes so many.

"Morning Max!" Ryan grins with a mouth full of waffle, I grin and wave a little before finishing off my breakfast. I get up and walk over to the sink with my plate, luckily Jacky is leaning against the counter next to me.

"Psst, Jacky." I whisper while making sure mum and Travis aren't in hearing distance. He looks over at me and smiles lightly, I return the gesture.

"I'm guessing you're all here to pick Ronnie up?" I ask him quietly, making the boy nod. I sigh and shake my head.

"Well he's not here." I announce, making him stop chewing the waffle and turn his head in confusion.

"Last night he went out God knows where and hasn't come back yet, we're both grounded at the moment and if I don't cover for him he'll kick my ass, I would love it if you could all lie with me?" I smile sheepishly, Jacky shakes his head and smiles before getting out his phone.

"I'll text the guys, what have you told them." He asks while slyly nodding in nodding in Mum and Travis' direction. I quickly explain it and he writes down the situation into a fresh text, once he's finished he sends it to the other three in the room. They all pull out their phones and read the text before glancing over at us. They nod in understanding before shovelling down the rest of their waffles.

"Well we better be going! Thanks for breakfast Mrs G!" Ron smiles before grabbing his bag and placing his plate in the sink. The others do the same, but of course we don't get away that easy.

"Boys! Hold on a moment." Travis demands while pushing away from the table, we all turn to look at him.

"Where's Ronnie?" He questions before crossing his arms. I gulp and glance at everyone else who are looking between each other. Oh yes, very sly. They won't expect a fucking thing.

"Didn't Max tell you? He's going to school earlier today, something about catching up with a teacher." Derek says, making me mentally sigh in relief, at least someone can lie well. Travis looks back at my mum who just shrugs lightly, he sighs, turns back and mutters something about having a good day at school.

We all quickly walk out the kitchen, sharing happy grins.

Let's hope today goes better than yesterday.
♠ ♠ ♠
C: