"Mother" of the Year

Jack

“Rough night?”
I handed Dimitri an icepack as he was sprawled on the couch.

“Just a monthly fight. Nothing out of the norm.”
“Only this time you fought Jordan…”
“And lost like hell, but that’s beside the point.”

He moved to sit up and patted the empty space next to him. I took his invitation to take a seat.

Since the incident, I’ve warmed up to him a little. Especially since he mentally kicked me in the ass to go see Lacey. He now helps me with cleaning the house and running errands.

It’s strange, but it’s a nice change.

“What happened between you two anyway?”

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“Let’s just say there should be a rule against fucking your best friend…”

I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Okay. There are two types of people in this situation: friends who fuck each other and can stay friends vs. friends who fuck each other and one of them catches feelings. Guess which one applies to me?”
“Ah…”

He sighed again.

“Honest to God, I wanted us to stay best friends. The sex was just a benefit, but God forbid I show interest in someone else. He got mad and jealous and made a scene, and when I told him to chill the fuck out and that we were only friends, he decks me right in the jaw. Cука…”

He put the icepack to said jaw.

“Long story short: he kicked my ass and has been locked in his room all day, and because he wants to act like a child, I have to fill in for him tonight.”

He paused to think.

“I know there are errands to run. I’ll do those if you can stay here and manage to coax Jordan out of his room. Are you okay to do that?”
“Lacey is still taking a nap, so that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.”

He flashed a smile.

“Thanks, man. Call me if you need anything, okay?”
I nodded as he rushed to his room to get ready.

I took that time to check on Lacey.

She was sound asleep, gripping tightly onto the stuffed bunny she got as a Christmas present.
I pressed a light kiss to her forehead before sneaking out of the room.

I heard the front door open and shut – Dimitri just left.

Inhale. Exhale.

“I just have to get Jordan out of his room…”

I walked to the door at the end of the hallway, hesitating at first to knock.

Inhale. Exhale.

I knocked on the door – no answer.
I knocked again – still no answer.
I knocked for a third time – I hope he’s not dead…

The door flew open, and the look I was given was enough to send shivers down my spine.

His eyes were red, he reeked of alcohol, and he held a half-drunken bottle of vodka in his hand.

“Let me guess, Mitri wants me to come out of my room.”
I nodded, still shocked by the glare he gave me earlier.

“What’s wrong, Jackie? Shocked by how pitiful I look?”

He was obviously drunk.

“Dimitri wanted me to get you out of your room. He went to run errands. I figured you could come downstairs and I can make you something to eat.”
“I love how nice he’s being to you. Running errands is supposed to be your job.”

I bit down on my lip.

“But of course, why wouldn’t he be nice? You grew on him. He thinks you’re cute. He’d probably fuck you too if it wasn’t for your asexuality bullshit.”

He stepped closer to me.

I need to move away.

“He’d probably stop being nice if that innocence of yours went away.”

I need to move away!

He didn’t hesitate to grab my arm and pull me inside, shutting the door behind him.
He threw me onto his bed and climbed on top of me.

I need to get away!

But he already had my wrists over my head with one hand. His other hand was busy unbuttoning my jeans.

The panic finally set in.

“Jordan! Please! You don’t need to do this! You don’t need to do this!”

I struggled. I screamed. I cried.
His hand was already in my boxers, and I couldn’t do anything about it.

That is until I heard wailing downstairs.
The wailing of a child.

“Lacey!!!”

I used all of my strength to push Jordan off me and rushed out of the room.
Lacey was at the bottom of the stairs on the floor, holding onto her arm with tears running down her face.

I rushed downstairs and didn’t hesitate to gently pull her into my arms.

“What happened, Lace?! Did you hurt your arm?!”

She continued to wail.

I looked at her left arm: it was swollen and the red started to turn purple.

“Fuck!”

The front door opened and in rushed Dimitri.

“Jack? I heard crying from outside! What happened?!”
“I-I think Lacey fell down the stairs! Her arm looks broken…!”

I didn’t stop the tears from rolling down my face.

“Jack…I know this is the last thing you’d want to hear, but she needs to go to the hospital.”

My heart dropped into my stomach.

If we go to the hospital, she’ll find out.
If we go to the hospital, she’ll find us!


Dimitri knelt down in front of us and placed his hands on my shoulders.

“Jack. I promise I won’t let anything happen to you two while we’re there, okay? She has a broken arm. She needs medical attention. I promise I won’t let anything happen to you two.”

I nodded slowly.

Dimitri wasted no time grabbing Lacey a pair of pants and her stuffed bunny, and we were out the door.

| x | x | x |

The hospital was a long, grueling process.
X-rays. Shots. Tears – so many tears.

They finally put the cast on her arm, and she was given ample amounts of stickers and lollipops to console her.
Mr. and Mrs. Bergstrom rushed to visit her after they heard the news and brought gifts as well.

Of course, the doctor had questions.

“I heard Daddy screaming, but I couldn’t open the door. I went downstairs to find Mitri, but I fell…it hurt a lot…”

Everyone gave me concerned looks. At that moment, I wanted to disappear.

I don’t want to talk about what happened to me.

Then the questions were directed at me: our living situation, my job, any history of domestic violence…

I don’t want them to take her away. They can’t take her away!

Mrs. Bergstrom held my hand and squeezed it to reassure me.

The doctor stared at us for a bit, as if he was trying to figure something out.

“Well, the last thing we have is for you to fill out some paperwork before we send Lacey home, alright Mr. Herschel?”

I nodded, and he left the room.

“Jack. What happened? What did Lacey mean she heard you screaming???”
Mr. Bergstrom looked terrified.

I bit down on my lip.

“I promise I’ll explain later…I just want us to go home…”

The door opened, and in walked the doctor…and a police officer.

I looked at Dimitri with wide eyes. He looked back at me, just as concerned.

“Mr. Herschel, or better yet, Mr. Miller. I’d like to ask you a few questions.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeehaw.