"Mother" of the Year

Jack

“Jack? You know classes ended two days ago, right? What are you still doing here?”

Mr. Bergstrom, my Visual Arts professor and the manager of the Supply Store, stood in the doorway with a concerned look on his face as I placed notebooks onto the shelves.

“I thought I’d get a couple of more hours of work in before the place becomes virtually empty.”
I gave him a small smile, but he didn’t seem to be phased.

“Were you not paid enough this month?”

My smile fell; I didn’t answer as I dropped my gaze to the floor.
There was a moment of silence before a hand was placed onto my shoulder.

He held out eight twenty-dollar bills in front of me with a small smile on his face.

“I-I can’t—”
“Think of it as an early Christmas present. Go home, buy some groceries, and buy some presents for Lacey, okay? She will still be with Rosa while you do so, so there’s nothing to worry about.”

I hesitated, but eventually took the money from him.

“…Thank you.”

| x | x | x |

“Well, look who’s back from class so early!”

I sighed at the sound of Dimitri’s voice booming through the house as I stepped inside, walking into the kitchen.

“I’m only checking to see what we need from the grocery store.”
“The usual, man: eggs, milk, bread, cereal, meat…oh, and three ten-packs of beer. Heineken.”

I bit down on my lip, knowing that I had to make back-and-forth trips to two different stores.
He stepped out of the bedroom, not hesitating to drape an arm over my shoulder.

“Do you guys really need that much beer?”

“Yeah, dude! We have to be fully stocked for the Christmas and New Year’s parties!”
Jordan came out of the room this time as he spoke, joining us in the kitchen.

I moved away from them and opened the fridge.

Milk.
Eggs.
Some vegetables would be nice.


“How many of your bitches are coming to the party, Jord?”

Can’t forget about fruit. And the apple-dipper packs for Lace. That’s important too.

“Only the ones that aren’t afraid to party hard.”
“So I’m guessing Angel wasn’t invited. Shame. He’s a cutie and single.”

I closed the fridge and moved to the freezer.

We still have fish and chicken, but I can get some ground beef for some spaghetti.
I’ll make some tomorrow. I know Lacey will be happy to hear that.


“Jackie, you’re partying with us, right?”

I think we need some paper towels as well.

“Are you kidding, Mitri? You know how he is at these things: he won’t drink, and he doesn’t want to fuck anyone. I don’t understand how you can be asexual, Jack. You’re making your life so boring, man.”

And some toothpaste. Definitely some toothpaste.

“Maybe if you actually fucked someone, you might change your mind, dude.”

What did Lacey say she wanted for a present again? Fairytale books, a sketchbook, and a bow with suction-cup arrows, right?

“Yo, Earth to Jack! We’re fucking talking to you man!”
“I don’t want to have sex with anyone. That’s the point of being asexual.”

I closed the door, attempting to rush out of the house – that is, until Jordan grabbed a hold onto my arm.

“Come on. You’re not even going to try to get laid? You’re keeping such a pretty face and a fine piece of ass from so many people!”

I yanked my arm away from him before glancing back towards them, trying my best not to glare.

“Is there anything else that you want me to get?”

“Some vodka, whiskey, lemonade…What other drinks should we have?”
“We can always ask some of our guests to bring some.”
“True…Just get the groceries and bring back some Heineken for now.”

I continued towards the front door and opened it, stepping outside.
But of course, not before hearing a “We love you, Jackie~!” said in unison.

And if I didn’t say it back, I wouldn’t hear the end of it.

So I turned around, forced a smile, and…

“I love you too.”

| x | x | x |

“Are you sure that you’re going to be okay?”
I nodded – this is the fourth time that Mrs. Bergstrom had asked me.

Lacey was a little restless in my arms, but I ignored her attempts to escape for now.

“She has a large vocabulary for a two-year-old. I’m really impressed, and proud.”
“I guess it’s from us reading to her all of the time.”

A small giggle from Lacey.

“You know you can spend Christmas and New Year’s with us, right? Mi familia will be here. You know how well and how much Mamá cooks.”
She nudged my arm with a wink and a smirk.

“I’ll let Lacey decide on this one.”
Even though I know what her choice will be.

“I wanna spend Navidad with tía and tío!”
Lacey threw her hands up with a large smile on her face.

“I’m glad to hear it. I expect you both to be here as early as possible that day. Entiendes?”
Sí.” I gave her a sheepish smile.

Adios, tía!”
Lacey waved her hands as I walked down the stairs.

“Call me and let me know when you two get home safely!”
“Will do!”

I continued to walk down the street with Lacey still in my arms.

“Daddy?”
“Hm?”

“Higher, please.”
I smiled a little before lifting her up to sit on my shoulders.

“Better?”
A happy “Yeah!” as she patted my hair.

A moment of silence as I kept walking.

“Daddy?”
“Yes?”
“Are we going back to Jord’s and Mitri’s house?”
“Mhm…”
“Okay.”

Another moment of silence.

“Daddy?”
“Yeah?”
“I like tía’s and tío’s house better.”
“Why?”

She paused for a second.

“Jord’s and Mitri’s house is too big.”
‘Too big’?”
“Yeah…! And tía’s and tío’s house is more happy!”
“Well, Daddy will keep saving up and then we’ll move into a smaller house someday, okay? I promise.”

“Daddy?”
“Yes, Lace?”

A small giggle.

“I love you~!”
I let out a little laugh.

“I love you too, Lacey.”

As long as I keep being Jordon and Dimitri’s “precious little maid” for free, Lacey and I will be able to stay there for free. And I will keep saving up until we have enough money to move out, then we’ll officially start our new lives, without owing anyone.

I promise.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, lovelies!
Should I make a character's list for this story? I kind of feel like I should...
Anyway, thanks for the comments and recommendations so far!
SignalFire <3
'Til the next chapter!