Status: Complete

When Worlds Collide: Book Three, Fire

One

/////Sam's POV\\\\\

I had isolated myself.

After we arrived at the palace in the Fire Nation, I was escorted to a room, where I locked the doors, and lay in bed. Some servants would bring me food, and but I never ate. Most of the time I screamed at them. Azula came by once a day, smirking in that annoying way, and telling me all these plans that I really didn't care about. He stopped by. Once. He didn't enter my room, he only stood outside the door, begging me to let him in. He didn't go away until I had thrown everything in the room I could lift at the wooden barrier between me and him.

I refused to change into Fire Nation clothing. I refused to do anything Fire Nation. Not my hair, not my make up, not my clothes. I refused. A male servant had picked the lock, telling me that the Fire Lord had summoned me, but I only screamed at him, and froze him to the wall, using some water that I was suppose to drink for lunch. I only let the man go when other servants came looking for him, and they had to hold me back as I lashed out at them.

I was depressed, to say the least. Was depression supposed to be like this? Angry at the world, and furious with myself? I should've done something. I should've tried harder to reach out to Katara when I had the chance. I should've seen the lightning bolt coming for Aang, should've expected it. But I hadn't, and now my friends had to pay the price, as well as me.

What were they doing right now? The Earth Kingdom had fallen, so the Earth King's support was long gone. What would they do? I had to put my faith in them, for them to save me from this awful place. Sokka was too stubborn, he would never give up. Katara promised; 'we'll come back for you', she said. Toph and I were close. She would probably throw a fit - right? Or am I just imagining things to comfort myself?

The only person in the stupid place that I didn't hate was Iroh. But he was in the dungeons, and I had no way of going down there. I would much rather be there, in the cold and dark, than here in this massive room, and king sized bed. Now more than ever I wanted to go home. To leave this stupid nation behind, and never look back.

"Miss?" a voice called from the other side of the door.

I stayed motionless, lying on the bed, and staring at the ceiling. I didn't respond. They had already given me my supper. It lay untouched on the nightstand, and I planned to let it sit there until morning.

"Miss, the Fire Lord has requested your presence."

Silence. Why hadn't she left yet? Stupid maid. She should learn to take a hint.

"Sam," a new voice called, and my eyes hardened, "open up."

How dare he. How dare he think he can just show up, and boss me around.

"Come on Sam," he begged. "Please."

Reaching blindly, I grabbed hold of the first thing my fingers touched - a glass of water - and flung it at the door, where it shattered into millions of pieces. There was a small shriek, and I smirked. It was Lyn, a maid who was absolutely terrified at me. I don't know why she always came up here. Maybe she was forced.

"Sam, if you keep breaking things, you're going to get in trouble," he warned, so I grabbed the whole plate, and threw it like a Frisbee. As it swiveled, food flew all over the place, before slamming into the door with such force, I could see a scratch in it.

There was a sigh, and I thought the battle was won. He was leaving.

I was wrong.

Something rammed into the door, making me jump. I sat up quickly, staring at the door in shock, as he burst through. His hair was put up. And it was a shame, because I liked his longer, shaggy hair that hung loosely in his eyes. He had a long, red robe on, and it made him look cold, and distant. I liked him better when his eyes showed his emotions, so I could at least have a clue as to what he was thinking.

I don't know what I expected. Maybe for him to apologize again. Maybe to comment about how he did it for his honor, or some other lame excuse. I just didn't expect silence, and the strange look on his face.

Lyn stepped around scuttled around him, going to the closet in the corner. "Miss, if you're to see the Fire Lord, you must dress appropriately."

"The Fire Lord can rot," I snarled, collapsing back onto the bed. "I hope he burns from his own fire. Or mine. I could burn him to ashes."

Lyn dropped the clothes she had in her hand, and spun to stare at me in shock. "Miss, that's very disre-"

"Get out," I interrupted, laying on the bed again. "I'm not going anywhere, unless it's freedom. I'll die in here if I have to. I'm. Not. Leaving."

The maid spluttered, her mouth agape.

"Leave us," he ordered, but his voice wasn't harsh. "I'll take her to my father."

I mashed my lips together as Lyn dashed out of the room, leaving me alone with him. I wanted to scream. To attack him, to break a limb, something.

"Sam, please, talk to me," he begged, walking over to the bed, but not sitting down. Smart boy. "You haven't spoken a word to me in days. When was the last time you saw sunlight?"

I ignored him. He ignored me, on that awful day. I would do the same.

"Sam." His face was suddenly in my view, worry etched into his features. His scar seemed more noticable in this lighting. He was sitting on my bed, bending over me. "How long has it been since you ate?"

Days. I hadn't eaten since the ship ride over here, and that was only because Azula forced me to.

I tried to look away from his eyes, but they had captured me. He suddenly shook me, and forced me to raise up.

"Samantha, answer me!" he shouted, angry.

I looked him confused. I had only told him my full name once, the first day we met. When he saved me from drowning, when I first arrived in this world. For a time he had used it to annoy me, but he had soon stopped. I hadn't heard him say that name in a long, long time - I had actually assumed he'd forgotten it.

The door to my chamber was closed, and we were alone. So I slapped him. Hard. The sound resonated throughout the room, and he instantly covered his cheek, looking at me in disbelief.

"What was that for?" he asked, reeling back.

I stood up, the Fire Lord suddenly sounding like a good idea. So without saying anything, I made my way to the door, and stepped out into the long hallway. Servants and maids milled about everywhere, and when I came into view, they stopped what they were doing, and stared.

I prabably looked like a mess. I hadn't combed my hair in days, and when I washed it, I didn't do anything to it.

I took off in a random direction, ignoring his calls. It didn't take him long to catch up to me, and he grabbed my wrist, yanking me back. He looked around, before pulling me into a dark alcove that was hidden from view of the corridor.

"Sam, talk to me," he demanded. I tried to walk away, but his arm shot up, blocking my path. "Call me an idiot. Tell me you hate me. Just say something."

I debated it. I could say something. Insult him, scream at him. But I couldn't. Because I knew, that the moment I opened my mouth to say something to him, I would break. But his eyes were begging me, and he looked like he was in pain.

"Isn't your dad expecting me?" I whispered, looking away.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him freeze. Slowly, he lowered his arm, and without sparing him a glance, I walked away. I didn't hear him follow me, and I was thankful.

"Which way to the Fire Lord?" I asked, stopping a servant in his tracks.

He seemed surprised, but pointed the way. I walked with my head high, even though I just wanted to curl up in a ball, and shout at everyone who got too close.

Taking the servant's directions, I found myself in front of a set of large double doors. The guards started to knock on the door, but I just shoved them away and marched in. I saw the two guards give each other scared looks, but I didn't care.

"You wanted me?" I spat, crossing my arms.

Fire Lord Ozai didn't seem affected by my sudden entrance. In fact, he showed no emotion at all. "Usually, my subjects bow before me."

"I would hate to be them," I stated, raising an eyebrow.

He stared at me for a bit, and I grew uncomfortable under his gaze. "Do you know who you are?" he finally asked.

"I'm a lot of things," I answered. "I'm Sam. I'm an older sister. Friend of the Avatar, daughter of a nurse. A water and firebender."

I could have continued, but his glare was hardening, and it was starting to scare me.

"You are the legend that's been told for generations," he said, standing, walking around me. "You're the woman who skipped throughout the worlds. The woman who will decide the fate of the war. And you are mine, now. Which means I win, ultimately."

"But if I decide, doesn't that mean I choose? If I get to decide, then you lose." I stood straighter, raising my chin.

"I don't think you quite understand," he chuckled. "You are under the Fire Nation's rule now, whether you like it or not."

"You don't rule me," I growled. "No one rules me."

"I do," he seethed. "And I say, that you are highly uneducated. You're going to school, to learn our customs."

"What?" I asked, spinning to face him, and feeling light headed.

"And you'll be spending time with my daughter, Azula. She will be training you."

"I'm already trained," I told him, glaring. "Iroh taught me."

"Don't mention that traitor's name in my presence," he ordered. "Azula will be training you in your special abilities. The legend is told to have amazing powers. And as she is one of the most skilled in the Nation, she will be teaching you."

"Do I have any say in this?" I asked. "Because I'd rather die, I think."

He ignored me, clapping his hand, and walking back to his stand. The two guards from before came in, and motioned for me to leave. With one last glare, and sticking my tongue out for good measure, I walked out.

He was waiting for me, looking at me worriedly.

I sighed, and continued walking.

"The kitchens are this way," he said, standing in front of me.

I looked away, closing my eyes. "I'm not hungry," I whispered.

"I don't care," he stated, taking my arm and yanking me down a hall.

"Zu-Zu," Azula called, now walking beside me, "she has training to attend."

"She hasn't eaten in days," he told her, still dragging me. "She'll pass out before you get her in a basic stance."

"Impossible," Azula said, shaking her head. "I've had food sent to her every morning, afternoon, and evening."

"It makes great ammo for the people that annoy me." I shrugged, giving up on trying to get away.

They lead me a to large dining room, and forced me to sit down. While Azula went to find a servant to get food, he stayed, staring at me.

"When are you going to start talking to me again?" he asked. "What can I do?"

"Turn back time," I offered. "Get me out of here. Get Iroh out of jail. Find my friends and apologize to them. Jump off a cliff." Okay, maybe the last one was a bit unnecessary, but can you blame me?

He winced, hesitantly reached a hand towards me. I glared at it until he pulled away, an angry look on his face. "Fine," he snapped. "Act like a child. I don't care anymore."

Without looking back, he stormed out of the dining room, muttering to himself the whole way. I started to walk out also, to maybe lock myself up again, but I was stopped by a pale hand tightly gripping my shoulder.

"And where do you think you're going?" Azula asked, steering me over to a chair, and clapping her hands. Two servants came shuffling out of a door, one holding a large platter, and one holding a big goblet.

I glared at the table as the two men set down the food and drink.

"Neither of us are leaving, until you eat," Azula stated. "Now, where did my brother go?"

"For a walk," I said shortly, lifting my hand, and making the water in my cup travel upward into the air.

"Stop that," Azula growled, swatting at my hand.

I rolled my eyes, and rested my chin in my palm. "Aren't I older than you?" I questioned.

"So?"

"So, you technically can't tell me what to do," I sighed.

"Keep in mind that you are in the Fire Nation, and I am the princess," she spat. "Just because you're the legend, doesn't mean I won't harm you."

"What's this whole legend thing about, anyway?" I asked, giving in, and taking a bite of the steak in front of me. "That's all you people ever talk about, but no one says what it is."

Azula rolled her eyes, and sat down on the chair across from me. "How do you not know? The legend is said to be a girl, who traveled across the stars, and weaved between worlds. It's said, that whoever has the legend in their possession has control."

"Control over what?" I asked, my mouth full.

"The world," she sneered, and I choked.

"What the heck is that supposed to mean?" I spluttered.

"The legend - you - have awesome powers. It's said that you don't even have to use bending stances," Azula whispered, glancing around like she was afraid of being heard. "It's said you only have to will the elements with your mind."

"I think you're insane," I stated, taking a drink. "Don't you think I would've figured out how to do that by now?"

"You did, in Ba Sing Se," she said. "When you tried getting away."

"That was just internal fire," I insisted. "Iroh taught me."

Azula's glare hardened, and her eyes snapped to mine. "Don't mention that traitor's name."

I rolled my eyes, and continued eating. "Whatever. But it was nothing special."

Instead of answering, she just huffed, and stood up, marching out of the dining room. "When you're done, one of the maids will take you to the training room," she called over her shoulder, and was gone.

"'When you're done, one of the maids will take you to the training room,'" I mocked in a high pitched voice, and stabbed the meat with my fork. "Stupid Fire Nation."
♠ ♠ ♠
It's here!!! Since the first part of Season Three is Zuko's battle within himself, and he and the Gaang aren't seen together at all, I'll be mostly winging it. So look forward to that ahaha :)