Status: One-shot

Water

Water

"Water." she whispered to the nurse standing by her bed, cleaning up the uneaten tray of food. Her voice was rasped and broken and could barely be heard over the sound of the beeping heart monitors. "Water, please."

"I'll get that right away, sweetie." The nurse smiled politely before turning around and leaving the small, 5 year old girl in her hospital room. Alone.

Nobody was there to hold her hands in the last few moments of her life. Nobody was there to stroke back her hair and tell her it was going to be okay as everyone in the room cried freely about losing someone so close to their heart.

There was nobody except the nurse.

Her breathing was getting harder to deal with and the medication wasn't helping as much as it did when she was first admitted to the hospital. Everything just seemed more painful than it did last year when she was first diagnosed with lung cancer.

There wasn't anyone for her back then either to tell her that it was going to be okay.

The nurse reentered the room with a glass of cold water in her hand and a few pills in a small, paper cup in the other. She handed the water to the young girl and set the pills on her bedside table.

The child brought the glass to her lips and tilted it back slightly so a few drops could reach her mouth. The cold water refreshed her dry mouth but the cancer patient knew that in a short amount of time, she would be as dehydrated as before.

The nurse left the room once more as the girl closed her eyes, feeling them to be too heavy to keep open. The glass in her weak hands suddenly became three times as heavy as before and slowly slipped from her hands.

The glass fell from her hands, rolling off the bed and shattered on the linoleum floor. Water splashed across the room, some of it spraying droplets on the hospital sheets. But the sound of glass shattering wasn't what brought everyone racing to the young girls room, it was the sound of the heart monitor flatlining that did it.

Nurses and doctors raced around the room, doing anything they could to bring the young girl back. To keep her alive for even just another day. But no matter their efforts, she didn't come back.

She was gone.

Her nurse cried. The doctors were saddened but had seen so much of this that it didn't impact them as much. Nobody outside that hospital cared though. They didn't know that inside room 200, a little orphan girl died alone because the chemo didn't help and research didn't find a cure in time.

Nobody knew that her dying words were asking for water.
♠ ♠ ♠
So if you read the summary, then you'll know what this was supposed to be for. I strongly encourage people to donate money, blood or even get a little sticker that says you'll donate your body to science. I hope I inspired people and leave a comment, telling me what you thought.