Status: Completed

Decided to Break It

Josh

The whole ride home, my mom talked about how much my family missed Amanda. She let me know that her and Matt broke up which, I won’t lie, made my heart jump a little. I shouldn’t be happy at my best friends’ pain, ya know? But I still felt a little better knowing that. “I’m with Echo.” “Echo got you in trouble.” “None of that was her fault. It was all me.” “Well you were fine with Amanda. She’s been good to you.” I scoffed.

Once home, I walked inside and realized that nothing changed, not one bit. Except for Amanda who was sitting on my couch. “I invited her here.” My mother whispered to me while her and my dad brought my bags inside. She stood up and I didn’t move. “You look good, babe.” She smiled at me and it was just like it was before. She’d somehow screw me over and then would give me that smile and I was putty in her hands. “I missed you.” She grabbed my hands and I just stared at her without moving a muscle. “So, Matt and I broke up. He wasn’t right for me at all, love. I kept trying to find you in him and it just… he’s not you.” “Too late. I’m with Echo.” I let her hands go and sat on the couch. I put my head in my hands and she sat next to me. She laid her head on my shoulder and chuckled.

“She’s not me and you know it. I’m better than her, and I always will be. She’s going to bring you down with her crap. I would never do that to you.” We talked a little longer. I’m not sure what it was about, but it ended with her convincing me that maybe Echo and I should take a break. Just to find out who we were without each other. I’d gotten clean; I didn’t want to go back to that. Maybe Amanda was right, maybe she’d bring me down. “I’ve always loved you, Joshy.” She leaned in and kissed me and I kissed her back. To be honest, it wasn’t like kissing Echo. It felt forced and there was definitely no feeling behind it. She pulled away from me and I looked at her with a confused look while her face turned maniacal. I turned around and saw Echo standing in the door way with her book bag on her back. “Babe, I…” I stood up to reach for her but she backed away and out of the door. I ran after her, but she took off down the street. I tried to chase her but she was way faster than I was. “Echo! Echo!” She turned the corner.