If It's Over, Let It Go

I Was A Fool To Ever Leave Your Side

When Brooke saw her best friend, Courtney, she squealed, not caring that the entire airport parking lot could hear her. Courtney pulled her into a hug, burying her face into Brooke's dark brown hair.

“How are you!?”, she asked.

“I'm really good! But how are you? You have to fill me in on what's going on with Jeff!"

Brooke unzipped her jacket as she climbed into Courtney's Toyota, "We agreed that we aren't broken up..just working things out"

"That's good, right?"

She nodded, smiling happily. Courtney grinned at her, clearly happy for her friend.

"And schools good?"

"Yeah, great. What about you?", Brooke asked. Courtney went to the University of Toronto, the university Brooke had originally planned on going to, before she got serious with Jeff.

"Awesome"

"And how are things with Nick?"

She held out her left hand. Brooke screamed when she saw the ring on her finger, not sure how she hadn't noticed before.

“He proposed?! Oh my God!", she squealed, "When did this happen?!”

“Last night", Courtney said, a grin spreading across her face. Brooke squealed again.

"Oh my God!"

A mischievous smile appeared on Courtney's face, "And I was wondering if..you'd like to be my maid of honour?"

Brooke's jaw dropped, "Are you serious?! Yes!"

Both girls couldn't stop smiling, "Oh my God, Courtney. I'm so happy for you!"

"I'm so excited, like I didn't think he would propose, you know?"

Brooke leaned closer so she could get a closer look at the ring, "This is so beautiful"

"I know! He did a great job didn't he?"

"He did!"

"Hey, I know this is exciting but you have to let me know what's going on with the Jeff thing. Like, do you think you'll be able to work through things?"

"Hopefully", Brooke answered, chipping at her nail polish.

She explained to Courtney everything that had happened since she'd broken up with Jeff, nearly two months ago. Her story lasted through the entire forty-five minute drive from the airport to Kitchener.

“Thank you so much for picking me up, Court", Brooke said, pulling her into a hug.

"Have fun with Jeff tonight. Keep me up to date on whats going on with you guys"

"I will. Tell Nick I say congratulations. I'm so happy for you guys"

She waved to her friend as she pulled out of the driveway and then walked up to her porch. Her mom and dad opened the door before she could even knock.

She was pulled into a group hug before she could even say hello. She followed them into the living room, answering questions about school and the friends she'd made.

“How’s Courtney?”, her dad asked.

“You won’t believe it. Nick proposed to her and she asked me to be the maid of honour!”

“Wow, that’s great. But isn't twenty one a little young to be getting married?”

“She'll probably wait a year or so before the actual wedding but they have been together for a pretty long time so.."

“Just don’t be getting any ideas", he joked.

Brooke laughed, "Come on"

"Speaking of which, where is Jeff?", her mom asked. Brooke rolled her eyes.

"He has practice but he's going to come over as soon as its done"

"Oh good", her mom smiled, before beginning to tell Brooke everything she'd missed over the last few months. After about half an hour or so, the doorbell rang. Brooke jumped up.

"That's probably him"

She opened the door and like she figured, Jeff was standing there, smiling. She gave him a quick hug when he walked in.

"They're really excited to see you", she said quietly. Jeff grinned. She knew that he was glad that her parents loved him.

She grabbed his hand and led him to the living room, where her parents were waiting. Her mom immediately pulled Jeff into a hug.

"How have you been?"

"I've been good, how have you been?"

"I've been fine. Your heads feeling better?"

"Much better"

"That was a nasty hit", Brooke's dad winced. Jeff nodded and reached over to shake his hand and say hello. The four of them settled onto the couch, Brooke leaning against Jeff's chest.

"Brooke hung out with Courtney today", her mom told Jeff.

"She drove me home from the airport", Brooke explained.

"How's she doing?", Jeff asked. Back when he played in Kitchener, the two of them had hung out with Courtney a lot so he knew her and Nick pretty well.

"Nick and her got engaged", her mom answered. She felt Jeff tense up.

"Oh. Wow. That's great", he said.

"A little young, huh?", her dad said, sensing how awkward things had just gotten.

"Ah, yeah", Jeff said nervously.

Brooke tried to changed the subject, "So, how's Mason been?"

Brooke's mom launched into a story about her younger brothers hockey game. Mason was playing for the Kitchener Rangers, the same team Jeff had played for.

They talked for a bit longer, Jeff and Brooke's dad deep in a conversation about the Hurricane's playoff chances and Brooke's mom updating her on everything that was going on in her life.

Eventually, Jeff stood up. "I have early morning skate so I need to get back to the hotel"

Jeff's parents said their goodbyes and wished him good luck before Brooke walked him to the door. She waited until they were outside before kissing him goodluck.

"I'll see you tomorrow", he mumbled in between kisses. She smoothed down his messed up curls before kissing him one last time.

"I love you"

He looked surprised but he smiled, "I love you too"

Brooke smiled as she watched him pull out of the driveway. Some how things actually felt like they'd be only between them again.