Him

stranded

My cardigan doesn’t smell like you anymore. Even it seems to know that things between us are really over. I am not bitter. I have no doubt in my mind that what I feel for you, and what we had, was pure love. But love that is crazy and fast is not good for you. It’s like a car running on empty; it’ll get you a few miles down the road, before leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere. My heart is torn and I’m stranded on this lonely back road but the difference this time is that you’re not stranded with me. This time when things got hard, you got out of the car at that last little town with the one fuel station and general store, and I continued on barrelling down that old back road with no fuel in my tank and a foolish heart full of love you could not return. I gave myself to you too quickly because I didn’t stop to think, didn’t bother with taking things slow, no matter how much you insisted you needed to. You needed time, but your actions said differently. We dove right into the deep end together, and we fell in love so quickly. But you reached for the ladder and got out too fast, deciding the water was too cold, rushing back to what was warm and familiar to you. You rushed right back into her arms and left me there in the deep end. You left me on that back road. You’ve left me here alone. And I don’t know how to find my way back.
♠ ♠ ♠
for jaimes
you made it into the book