Status: Ahh, this has been in my head for a while so... crossing my fingers.

Perdetevi.

Fight&Flight

From then on it was strange. Their secret smoothed over their otherwise rocky relationship. A mutual trust had formed between them and it bonded them. More than when she would sneak in his room to sleep on his floor when she had nightmares, more than their long walks when Mom and Dad fought.

Dad noticed the change between them but didn’t ask. He was just relieved that they weren’t fighting anymore and so was Monica. Fighting had been prevalent in their house for too long, the peace was almost unnerving, for a while. Then, it was nice, relaxing even. Dad was able to work at his cluttered little desk in the corner of the living room for long periods of time because he didn’t have to play peace keeper. He actually got things done and Monica was able to focus on homework, Charlie even helped her.

That was, until Mom came home. The fight was sudden and loud and seemingly about nothing but had built into something. Monica pulled her quilt up over her head and plugged her ears. She cried whenever they fought. She wished it would be the last fight, even knowing what that would entail. Charlie came into her room he had just gotten home from work so his shoes and jacket were still on. He tossed her a sweatshirt and shoes.

“Come on, Moni.” He never used her full name.

“Where are we going?” She asked.

“Out. Don’t tell Ma and Dad, okay?”

“Okay.” Like she would butt into their fight.

They snuck past the kitchen where Mom and Dad were screaming at each other and out the door into the hall. Their fight could still be heard out here and Monica was sure that everyone on the floor was lying awake listening to them; praying they’d quiet down soon, just like she was. Charlie pulled her across the linoleum floor and down the stairs. They hit the sidewalk before Monica had a chance to pull on her sweatshirt. They weaved up and down streets, in and out of alleys, before they came to a house she’d never seen before. It was one of the big, old, Victorians that were scattered all over the city.

Charlie let himself in the front door and strode confidently to another door just down the hall. It led to a basement and he thumped loudly down the stairs. Monica had practically attached herself to his side as they descended the dark stairway, as to not fall.

“Ricky? You down here?” Charlie called out.

“’Course, dude, I’m on the couch.” Ricky called back.

“I brought Moni, hope you don’t mind.”

The light flickered on and Ricky was sprawled across a couch pushed carelessly in a corner of the basement, out of the way of boxes of Christmas decorations. Against the concrete wall opposite him was an old TV and a Nintendo 64, its controller forgotten and sticking out from beneath the couch. Ricky sat up and pushed his hair back out of his eyes. He needed a haircut and a shave, badly.

“Nah, man, she’s good people. Come on, sit’own.”

Monica sat as far away from Ricky as possible on the couch but it was still too close. She listened to Charlie and Ricky talk for a while and then Charlie pulled a bag of joints from his pocket. “Want one?” He asked Ricky.

Ricky shook his head. “I’m all good.”

“Your loss.” Charlie said, lighting up.

This seemed very wrong; she could feel the wrongness of it in her very core. Ricky saw the disgust on her face and leaned over to pat her shoulder. She moved even farther away. Charlie just sat there for a long time after he’d finished his joint. He stared at nothing, his eyes had glazed over. At some point, Charlie moved to the floor so that he was lying on his back, looking up at the ceiling.
Ricky handed Monica a controller.

“You wanna play some Mario Kart?” He asked.

“Okay.” Monica murmured.

She’d never played on a Nintendo before, only a Playstation that was Charlie’s once. Ricky showed her what buttons to push and what knobs to use. The game was simple and entertaining and fun even though she was uncomfortable because she and Ricky had moved closer to each other as he taught her how to play. They were each sitting on the crack between the side cushion and the middle cushion and her legs kept sliding into the crack. But she was too enraptured by the game to try and move to a more comfortable position. She was winning.

Charlie didn’t move from the dusty orange carpet for a long time and neither Monica nor Ricky noticed his presence much until he lit up again. “You really think that’s a good idea, man?” Ricky asked.

“Huh?” Charlie looked dazed. “Yeah, yeah I’m fine.” He was quiet for a minute and then began muttering about conspiracies.

Ricky shrugged and looked back at the game. Monica still didn’t like him much.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soo chapter two and yeah.