Status: This is not going to be completed unless I get some inspiration to re-write it.

Forbes

Alis

On my eighteenth birthday, my grandmother gave me a birthday card with an address on the inside. I insisted she tell me what it was about, but she simply said "you'll know what to do" and left.

It took me a few weeks before I gathered enough courage to actually visit the address. It was almost as creepy as I had expected. It was an abandoned warehouse, standing tall next to a parking lot. Vendors were set up all along the outside of the building. It was busier than I expected. It was like a witch's black market or something.

"Alis!"

I turned towards the sound of my name.

"It has been such a long time, since I've seen you."

My godmother held her arms open, and I happily hugged her. "What are you doing here?"

"I had a feeling you'd be coming here again soon, Alis. Come here. I have the perfect gift."

I followed her towards one of the vendors. She looked in a few cages before pointing to one.

"He's a familiar," croaked an old woman. If they didn't have the correct knowledge, they'd call her a witch. She sure had the stereotypical look, but she was definitely not a witch. She simply handled the merchandise.

My godmother nodded, "I could tell when I saw him. I had a familiar when I was Alis' age."

I moved my eyes down to the cage, as the two women talked. A thin, black cat lie inside. It lazily blinked up at me, as if trying to decide what would be my next move.

I flicked my eyes back to the woman. I questioned, "Do you have something other than a cat? I think that would be a bit... obvious. 'Oh, look there's a witch and her black cat?'"

"Oh dear," the woman crackled, "Familiars can change shape. He could be whatever you wanted him."

I looked back towards the black cat. I knelt down on my knees to be at eye level. "Would you be my familiar? Or would I have to find another?"

The cat pressed against the cage and purred loudly, and I knew he was mine.

"Godmother?" I asked, "We don't have to buy him, do we?"

"If you want him, I'd buy him for you. They do not take offense to the situation at hand. In fact, I think they rather like the idea of being bought. Look at this one for example. He's trying so hard to be yours."

I looked back towards the cat, who was now sticking his paw through the cage to try to tap me and get my attention. After watching the cat, I decided what I wanted. "Then, he'll be mine."

My godmother paid the grey-haired woman and picked the cage up. Frantic meows cried out from the cage, and I could see in the poor cat's eyes that he didn't like the cage to move. I spoke up, "Wait."

"What is it, dear?"

She set the cage down, waiting for me to reply. I turned the lock on the cage, so I could open the door. The cat bounded out and stretched. After a few moments, he was purring and rubbing his face against my legs.

"He didn't like being in the cage, godmother."

"Well," she sighed, "he's yours now. He won't leave your side unless you sell him back or disconnect your magic from him."

I looked down at the cat, and I smiled. "My cat..."

"He is your familiar. He isn't just a cat, child. He is so much more than that, and you need to remember not to think of him as one."
♠ ♠ ♠
Her name is pronounced Alice.