Catching Heart-Beats In A Dead-Beat Town.

chapter two;

Ryan stumbles, his eyes blurry and his throat closed with tears, back into the apartment he shared with Spencer. His mind was spinning a thousand miles a minute, and his breathing ragged. He closed the door and walked to the couch, his knees feeling weaker. He was over-reacting, he just needed to sit and breathe.

Spencer was in the kitchen, pushing himself as high as he could on one sock-clad foot to reach the white coffee mugs on the top shelf.

Ryan’s eyes scan his form, from the tips of his fingers barely brushing the handle of the cup; to the foot that was in the air, as if he used to be a ballerina in a former life.

Ryan found the sight breathtaking.

Spencer was always beautiful in the most subtle ways. Like how the moon could outshine an entire sky of stars, and like the small flowers that grow in between the cracks of the sidewalk.

He looks back when the door closes, smiling when he sees Ryan. He forgets about the mug and comes back down to his feet, facing Ryan. Spencer’s face goes from a smile to a one of pure concern, stepping over to Ryan and placing a hand on his forehead to brush the curls out of Ryan’s face.

“Ry, what’s wrong?” He asks, “were you crying?”

Ryan looks to the ground, making Spencer’s hand fall from his curls and back to his side.

He suddenly missed the contact.

“I’m fine.” Ryan said, giving Spencer a smile that didn’t reach his eyes and turning to walk down the hallway to the bedroom he was staying in, feeling ashamed he couldn’t even tell his best friend. All he wanted to do was sleep the rest of the day away.

Spencer sometimes asked Ryan what he reminded him of.

Ryan would reply with, “dreams.”

Spencer never asked why, but it was because sometimes he left Ryan happy, and sometimes he left him sobbing, and sometimes he left him afraid, but when he opened his eyes, everything was always okay, and Spencer made sure of that.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry these chapters are so short. it's a rather short story. i plan to randomly update chapters as i go through and edit them because this story i had posted once but i decided to revise it. thanks for your support and for reading :)