She's Not Afraid

Niall and Anna

Anna’s P.O.V

“Mum! I can dribble the football! Come see!” The blonde boy across the street yelled, running inside.
“Mum…can I go outside and play with da boy across da street?” I asked.
“Why?” She scoffed, annoyed at my question.
“Because I’m bored!” I whined.
“Shut up and go do da chores yer father asked you to do!” She smacked me across the face. Tears threatened to spill as I ran down the hall to clean my room.
“Anna?” My brother, Garvan, knocked on my door.


Garvan was the fifteen, then there was Reilly who was thirteen and Quinn who was twelve. I was eleven.

“Go away!” I shouted, dusting my night stand.
“Anna, why are you crying?” He asked, sitting on my bed.
“Why do mum and dad hate me so much?!” I yelled.
“They don’t—“ He started to say.
“You’re allowed to go and play, I can’t step foot outside dah house without getting smacked!” I showed him my arms and legs.
“I’m sorreh Annabelle.” He hugged me. I sobbed.
“ANNABELLE! DO YOUR CHORES!” My mother screamed upstairs.
“Yes mum!” I called, still crying.
“Stop yer cryin’!” She started towards my room. Oh no…she’s going to get the belt.

Next Day at school

“Hi…I’m Niall.” The blonde boy from across the street held out his hand to me.
“Hi, I’m Anna.” I smiled and shook his hand. I heard an eruption of laughter from behind me.
“Way to go Niall! You win!” A couple boys from my class yelled. I looked at Niall, who was laughing. I ran away crying. Why were people so mean to me? I thought I was a nice person. I guess I am a dork, loser or whatever else they call me.
“Anna?” I heard the blonde boy call out. I guess he deserves to be called by his name-no he doesn’t. I stayed hidden behind a tree. I was still crying my eyes out.
“Anna, I came to apologize. I promise I’m alone.” He sighed. I came out from behind the tree and looked at him.
“What…?” My voice cracked. He looked sincere.
“I’m sorreh for dat. I was stupid. Wanna play football?” He asked, smiling at me.
“Why would you wanna play with me?” I asked quietly.
“Cuz you seem cool. Please?” He asked.
“Okay.” I smiled a little.

After school, on the way home

“So, why do I only see yer brothers outside?” Niall asked as we neared his house.
“My mum doesn’t like all of us outside. So I just stay in.” I sighed.
“Anna!” I heard my mother call. She didn’t sound happy.
“I gotta go.” I smiled and waved at Niall then ran home.
“WHY WERE YOU TALKING TO DAH BLONDE BOY ACROSS DAH STREET!?” My mother screeched once the door was closed.
“He’s nice. I played football with him at school.” I put down my bag and took off my jacket.
“I don’t want you talking to him, yeh hear?!” She yelled in my face.
“Yes mum.” I sighed.
“Just wait till yer father hears about dis.” She muttered.
“No! Please don’t tell dad! I won’t talk to him ever again! I promise!” I cried. My dad was worse than my mum. My mum smacked me, my dad beat me.
“Too late!” She said, walking to the kitchen to call my dad. I ran down the hall and locked myself in my room. Why can’t I talk to people? I can’t have friends…it’s my fault. My dad wanted a boy. I wasn’t a boy. I began crying.

Three years later

I saw Niall flash the light through my window. I smiled to myself, excited to see him again. He’s my only friend. My mum started homeschooling me to make sure I couldn’t interact with anyone. I hate her. I looked out my window and saw Niall standing there. I climbed out and left my window open a smidge so I could get back in.
“Hey!” I whispered.
“Hi dere.” He smiled and hugged me.
“Where too?” I asked as we walked towards the forest.
“Wanna come over and just hang out?” He asked.
“Um, sure. Your mum won’t call mine, will she?” I asked nervously.
“My mum’s not home.” He smiled.
“Okay.” I nodded and followed him.

Niall’s P.O.V

We got in my house and settled in a bit. She still seemed a bit on edge.
“Calm down Anna, wanna play a video game?” He asked, handing me a controller. I nodded.
“Mario Kart?” He asked again.
“Only if you’re prepared to lose!” She smirked.
“Yer on!” I put the game in and we began playing. I happened to glance over and saw that her sweater had risen up a bit. Her arms were covered in bruises.
“Niall, hello? You crashed!” She snapped her fingers at me.
“What happened to yer arm?” I asked, ignoring her comment.
“Oh…I fell.” She got quiet. I wanted to believe her but I just couldn’t.
“But…dat doesn’t look like it.” I said.
“Niall, I fell. Drop dah subject.” She snapped.
“Sorreh.” I put my hands up.
“ANNA?!” We heard her mom yell from across the street.
“Oh shit.” She muttered. She looked terrified.
“C’mon, let’s get you home.” I said thinking of a plan.
“How are we going too when she’s obviously in my room?” She was trembling by this point.
“How about I knock on yer door, askin’ if one of yer brothers can help tutor me in math, or someting, and you sneak in through yer window?” I asked.
“Okay…” She sighed.

Anna’s P.O.V

How are we supposed to get me back into my house without my parents hearing. I looked across the street. Okay my dad wasn’t home. Good.
“Let’s go.” Niall whispered. I followed and got below my window. Niall went up to the door and knocked. I heard my mum open it.
“Hi Mrs. Marks, I was wonderin’ if I could get some information from Garvan about da football team?” He asked. I took that as my cue to get in. I opened the window slowly and crawled in. When my mum went to get Garvan, I waved at Niall and closed my window.
“Well where were you?” I jumped and turned around. Quinn.
“I was with Niall, why?” I stated.
“Mum’s pissed.” He sighed.
“I know.” I looked down.
“We told her you went to da washroom. So she calmed down a bit.” He smiled at me. I shooed him out and got changed.
“ANNA!? Where the hell were you?!” My mother screamed as she came into my room.
“Da washroom.” I muttered, acting like I was about to go back to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
This has significance promise.