Status: onlythegooddieyoung + heatherlight.

The Tension's Like a Fire

VII

Jay knew he had made the right decision when he saw Jodi’s eyes widening and her lips part and curl up as they entered the café. He had opened the door for her, but she didn’t seem to notice as she looked around. This was one of the few places in LA that Jay genuinely enjoyed only when alone—but he felt like Jodi would enjoy it as much as him, so he brought her.

“Oh my God,” Jodi exhaled.

“Like it?” Jay smiled at her, walking towards his usual table, right next to a Morrison poster. The redhaired nodded and immediately went to take a seat in front of him. Her grin widened when she saw the poster and, finally, she sighed, looking straight into Jay’s eyes.

“I’m still not really convinced of you.”

Jay’s smile didn’t falter—he knew he had taken her to the right place; honestly, Strawberry Fields was an amazing café and with the style she wore, the things she seemed to be into and her character, he was sure he would love the people who also came here.

“It’s alright. I know you will,” he tried to portray himself as confident, when in reality he was sure that this was a pity date and she’d never accept to even be his friend.

“Hey, Jay!” a familiar, New Jersey accented voice spoke, and the both of them turned to see a pretty girl with clear blue hair pulled into a ponytails—she had full sleeves and multiple piercings on her face.

“Hey, Tanya,” the male greeted back.

“You haven’t been here in so long; I take it you were busy with work?”

“Like never before,” he groaned.

“Well then, I see you brought a frien—Jodi?”

Tanya and Jodi looked back at each other, and Jodi’s eyes lit up in recognition just as she pulled her in for a hug.

“Tanya!” Jodi exclaimed. “I didn’t know you were in LA!”

“I wasn’t supposed to!” she laughed. “But most of my auditions are here, so I decided to leave Phoenix and start to really work!”

“I’m glad,” and she looked glad, which made Jay glad, which also made him pat himself metaphorically on the back for bringing her to Strawberry Fields. “So what are you doing with Jay?”

“He spilled coffee on me,” she replied dryly.

“Typical Jay,” Tanya barked out whilst the male grunted in disapproval. “So, the usual?”

“Yeah,” he nodded.

“And you, J?”

“Latte.”

“Alright, I’ll come back soon!” she chirped, then left the couple alone with their thoughts.

“That was a pleasant encounter,” Jay started, trying to get her to talk.

“Yeah, I guess,” she shrugged.

“How do you know Tanya?”

“Her and I went to the same High School when we were Juniors, back on Phoenix, Arizona. Back then we wanted to be in a band as big as the Beatles and as destructive as The Doors.”

“Sounds nice,” Jay smiled.

She scoffed. “Do you even know the Doors?”

Jay frowned, taking slight offence to it. “Of course I do, I even have a few of their CD’s.”

“Oh, yeah, sure,” she was using sarcasm, which made Jay frown deeper.

“What would it matter if I liked them or not?” he asked, genuinely annoyed now.

That’s when she turned to him and glared—and when Jay said glare, he meant glare. He had never seen such hate in such beautiful eyes and yet, there it was, clear as water, and it was directed at him. He felt small all of a sudden, his mind reminding him of the tons of girls that had quitted on him over the years. He looked away, letting his blue eyes rest on the October weather of LA.

“You’re a popstar, aren’t you?”

Her tone was accusing him, and Jay swallowed before glancing at her—she was still glaring.

“I’m in a British boyband, yeah,” he nodded.

“God, I can’t believe this,” she choked out, and Jay watched her ran a hand through her hair. “A fucking boyband like fucking One Direction.”

“We’re not like One Direction,” Jay was quick to say.

“Who gives a fuck?” she looked again at him, biting her lower lip. “Shit, Jay, I mean—you’re a popstar.”

“What’s wrong with being a ‘popstar’?” he air quoted the last word, becoming bothered with the term and the tone she was using against it.

“Everything!” she exclaimed, her hands flying up. “You popstars claim to be musicians when all you are is sellouts! You lie, cheat, and even fucking strip for a bit of fame! Fame’s all there is to music for y—”

Excuse me?” Jay asked slowly, his voice dangerously low.

Jodi stopped talking when Jay narrowed his eyes, nostrils flaring as she confessed her thoughts.

“You know what, Jodi?” Jay told her coldly. “The other day, my bandmates and I were in the studio, and we had to fire our manager because he said we couldn’t change our sound into something different. I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I genuinely like music, not the fame it brings. I… hate fame,” he spat out the word. “I hate it. I love doing concerts. I love doing covers. I love writing our own songs. I’m doing this with four of my mates and if we do pop, it’s because it’s popular, and fun, and we don’t have to worry about much because of it. So don’t you ever, ever say, that all I’m looking for is fame.”

After his little speech, Jay was left breathless and completely infuriated. Jodi looked like a deer caught in the headlights—her hair messed, her tattoo even peeking out and her face a mask of confusion, surprise and guilt.

“I—”

“Here you go! A nice, cold cappuccino and a latte!” Tanya smiled as she left the drinks on the table, but Jay stood, grabbing the coat he had shed when he went inside.

“It’s okay, Tanya, I’m leaving,” he said coldly.

“Oh?” she frowned.

“Wait, Jay—” Jay cut Jodi as he glared one last time at her.

“Bye, Jodi.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my God, I'm so sorry for the delay but I was so busy with school and friends and I also got a boyfriend and my parents are---ungh, seriously, I'm so sorry!

I'M SORRY, KATIE, BABY!