Status: Bruce Banner: You might not like that. Tony Stark: You just might.

The Science of Monsters

Chemical Garden

I locked myself in the room they said was mine after Pepper started screaming. Apparently no one told her that Stark owned a secret warehouse that housed all his suits. The same person must’ve forgotten to mention the numerous suits that he built inside that warehouse too. I sighed heavily, hating the fresh scent of the sheets and missing the musty metal in the only place I’d actually felt safe in years.

“Your heart rate has increased to unsteady levels, ma’am.” The male voice booming through the room didn’t sound metallic as it once had.

I rubbed my temples before answering, “I’m sorry, Jarvis.”

“You have nothing to apologize for. Your heat levels are rising again.”

“Yes,” I sighed, “I do. I didn’t recognize you. It is getting warm in here. Can I open a window?”

“Would you like to take a walk in the garden?”

“There’s a garden?” I laughed at myself for being shocked. Of course with a house like this came some sort of garden.

“If you consider chemically altered plants a garden.”

“What?”

“Go down stairs, turn right, head down the hall, go out of the French doors, and walk four yards to the greenhouse,” Jarvis instructed. “They were delivered from Miss Hanson’s personal lab.”

“Okay?” I asked rather than stated.

“I think you will feel better there.”

I decided to take his advice. At the bottom of the stairs I found Pepper still yelling at a defensive Stark. I squeezed past the giant bunny half blocking the doorway to the right, walked down the long hall, and opened the doors. Scoffing, I began my trek through the misty air to the greenhouse.

The windows in the door were drenched in condensation. They seemed to sweat with each passing moment. I nearly turned on my heels and headed back into the house, but curiosity got the best of me. Prizing the door open, I walked into the glass building. It seemed so much smaller on the outside. Ferns and other potted plants I didn’t recognize filled the room. A few let off enough heat to make me seem cold, but they were balanced by the other plants that released a depth of coldness that I hadn’t felt in quite a while.

The smile the crossed my features didn’t feel forced for the first time in weeks. I caressed a few of the leaves with my fingertips while walking through the garden A pure white aloe plant nearly froze my blood. It, I decided, was my favorite of all the greenery.

“Hey!”

I turned sharply. Being caught in this place felt more like I was committing the crime of the century rather than listing to Jarvis. Stark stood in the doorway watching me with a glint in his eyes.

“What are you doing?”

“Enjoying the quiet.” I turned back to the icy aloe leaf. “I love this plant.”

“I wondered how she took the heat out of it.” He walked to my side admiring the crystal leaves.

“I didn’t mean to upset Pepper.”

“She would’ve been upset regardless.” He nodded before turning toward another of the plants that sparked when I touched it earlier. “You’re going to have to go somewhere else.”

“I know.” I looked at him. Sadness hid beneath his chocolate eyes.

“It’s just, I mean, Pepper doesn’t like the idea of…” he trailed off, not looking at me.

“I understand,” I answered with a small, fake grin. “When can I go?”

“I’m going to get you some clothes…” He started, but I raised my brow. “Pepper is going to find you a few outfits so you don’t have to struggle anymore. You’ll come to work at Stark Industries when you’re ready.”

“Where am I staying?”

“I guess,” he shook his head, “I have to take you home.”

I nodded, but the news didn’t make me feel as happy as it should have. Home wouldn’t be a place I could find. It wouldn’t be a place for me for a long time.

“Good,” I answered before walking out of the greenhouse.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry guys :( I completely forgot about Tuesday this week, and I had to work with kindergartners that day. While they are very cute, they are always a handful, especially when they're talkative. Anyways here's the chapter for the week, and if you didn't read my blog announcement, I am taking a vacation, so no updates until after Valentine's day. Although, I'm thinking of writing you guys a special V-Day chapter... But no promises there.