‹ Prequel: Stay
Status: DONE!

On Your Side

Chapter Four.

John sipped on the beer he had opened seconds ago as he relaxed on the couch. He hadn't did much since he parted ways with Jenna. Really he didn't know if he could. The girl took up most of his thought process. Just as he was actually getting into the show that was on, a knock on his door brought him back to reality. He sat the bottle on the table before heading to open the door. The last person he expected to see was who stood before him; Eric Halvorsen.

John just stared at him before clearing his throat, "Oh, uh, hi." He mumbled, stepping aside to let him in.

Eric didn't reply, just walked inside and spun around to face John who still seemed a bit confused.

"I plan to win her back, John."

John raised an eyebrow at the boy, clearly still a bit in the dark about what he was referring to.

"Jenna. I'm going to win her back and we are going to be together because that's how it's suppose to be. By all means, try all you want, enjoy this time you have wth her or whatever because it isn't going to last. She's going to chose me. It's always been me."

John had to shut his mouth from the initial shock of Eric saying all of this.

"I, uh, ok? I'm not fighting for her."

"Oh let's cut the bullshit for once. You love her. You do whether you admit it to me or not and all she wants is you right now and I know damn well you are more then ok with that." Eric spoke more sternly than John thought possible.

"You're right. I love her. I have for years and you're right, I am very much enjoying having her around, but I also thought you knew I had enough respect for you not to pursue her. Clearly that was just me." He responded calmly and Eric frowned, "John, it's impossible to love someone and not a single part of you want to be with them."

John ran his hand down his cheek and he groaned as he stared at the boy. For some reason he couldn't hold it in anymore.

"I'm not trying to take her from you, Eric. Let's get that clear. I'm not going out of my way to do so. I wouldn't and I won't, but if she wants to be with me I will not stop it because you're right, I love her and every fiber of my being wants to be with her. So if you came here looking for a war or to fight over her, it isn't going to happen."

Eric just stared at him, not sure if he should be mad or not. It was all just confusing at the moment.

"Anything else?" John grumbled and Eric shrugged his shoulders.

"I want you to be with her. You deserve to be, you know? You have always been better for her than I could imagine being, but I love her and I can't just push her away."

Eric sighed in defeat and John crossed his arms uncomfortably.

"I get that. I do."

"You'll get her back. I know you will if that makes it any better. I've come to terms with it." John shrugged trying to act like he didn't care but he knew that wasn't true.

"Until this is all sorted out, you know we can't be friends right?"

"I know..." John stated and Eric nodded before patting John's shoulder and leaving his home. Eric didn't expect to leave the guy's house feeling bad for him that was for sure.

Jenna got ready for bed nervously. Realizing it was the first night she'd be alone and she was unsure if she wanted that right now. She couldn't call John. Well she could, but she didn't want him to think she was being clingy.

Once in pajamas she sat on her bed right as her phone began to ring. John's name hit the screen and she smiled as she answered, "Hey you."

"Hey pretty girl, just calling to check up. You doing ok?" He spoke softly like he always seemed to do.

"I guess."

"You guess?"

"Yeah, just you know..."

"I don't. That's why I'm asking."

She chuckled, "I'll be fine."

"Good. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Sweet dreams ladybug."

The pair said goodnight and Jenna turned off the light before climbing into bed. Although she had talked to him, she missed him holding her that was for sure. She finally dosed off only to wake up out of a dead sleep hours later. She found herself crying, gasping for breath as she held onto her chest.

It was the first night she had a dream about the accident. Her accident. The one she had yet to remember.

She glanced at the clock to notice it was 3 a.m. and although unlogical, she grabbed her phone and called John's number.

"Jen? What's wrong? Are you ok?" He asked still half asleep and she calmed a bit from his voice alone.

"I just had a nightmare about the accident and I just..." She spoke through her tears and he tried to sooth her, "Jenna, sweetie, you're ok. You're fine. Everything is ok. Relax."

She sniffled as she laid back down and he continued, "There. Calm down sweetie."

"I just, hate not having you here."

John breathed in as her words hit his heart instantly. It's like she knew exactly what to say to get her way.

"I'm on my way." He whispered, before hanging up and grabbing for his jeans. He was stupid. He knew that. Hell, he told himself that the whole way there, but none of it mattered when she met him at the door, her cheeks stained from her tears and yet he loved her.

He immediately scooped her up, letting her hold onto him tightly.

"It's ok. I'm here, baby. I'm here." He whispered, stroking her hair as they stood in the doorway. He shut the door quietly and carried her to her familiar room. He gently laid her on the bed and he laid beside her, brushing her cheek as she stared up at him with red eyes.

"It's ok." He cooed, kissing her temple, "Relax. Just go back to sleep."

"Will you leave?"

"I'll never leave you, Jenna. Ever." He whispered, holding onto her as she relaxed against his chest. He sung to her softly as he played with her hair until she fell asleep.

"I thought I heard your truck." John heard which startled him. He looked over at the door to see Garrett standing there.

"I just, she called me, she wanted me here and I came. I have no logical reason besides that I love her and I want to be the one she wants to help her."

Garrett sighed as he leaned against the door frame.

"And I know Eric's going to win her back and I know they love each other, but can you for once spare me the lecture and understand that I love her and as long as she wants me here I will be here because I know in the end she won't be mine."

Garrett stared at John, not sure what to say to make it better for him. He truly felt bad for him. He had no idea how horrible it must feel to love someone who would never love you the same.

"I just, don't want you to get hurt more then you are."

John grinned weakly, "I've been going through this for years, it's nothing."

Garrett nodded, "Goodnight." He mumbled before closing the door. At this point he didn't know who's side he was on. Eric or John's. They both made valid points and yet Garrett only felt bad for Jenna. How could she handle this? He would go insane if this was him...
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor John. :(

Thanks for commenting;
Sammy_Wessen
Everdeen
Lovelyhope
Frankieraepain
:)