‹ Prequel: Stay
Status: DONE!

On Your Side

Chapter Seven.

John dropped Jenna off at home pretty early the next morning because he had a few interviews with The Maine. So she dragged herself back to bed until 11 and then got ready for the day not sure anymore what to expect.

As she headed down the stairs she found Eric on her couch and she laughed, "Sure, just come in."

Eric laughed, "I knew you were home, silly."

"Yeah, but you could haven given me a heart attack."

"Reason number 1 as to why I sat here."

She chuckled and fell beside him. His eyes immediately landing on her.

"Why are you even up?" She questioned and he rolled his eyes, "Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a vampire. I know what morning looks like."

She chuckled, "Ok, ok. Jeez."

"Speaking of, want to go get some breakfast with me? That's the main reason I'm here."

She nodded, "Yeah, sure."

The pair swiftly left the house and arrived at a pancake shop not too far from Jenna's home.

"Best place ever." She stated as they took a seat.

Eric chuckled as he pulled up the menu, "I know. You use to make me take you here once a week, remember?"

She nodded with a grin and he looked back at his menu. She placed her chin in the palm of her hand, watching him as he tried to decide what to order.

She tried to look at him in a different light then she did but she couldn't. She couldn't imagine him being just her friend, or nothing at all for that matter. He was in her life for one purpose and that was to love her and for some reason that sent chills up her spine.

"What is it?" He asked causing her to blink.

"Oh sorry. Just got lost in thought."

Eric nodded as he sat the menu down and fixed the sleeve on his rolled up button down shirt with a stern look. He was too cute for his own good. Little things like that made her smile for no reason. There really was no logic to it.

"Are you seeing anyone?" She found herself asking. Afterall, she was sure girls were flocking to him and she couldn't blame them if they were but she had to ask.

"What?" He asked, his attention now on her, "Like, dating?" He questioned as if it was a foreign word.

"Yeah."

"Um, no..." He slowly said as he looked at her like she had 3 heads.

"Jenna, I love you. I only want you. I haven't even thought of something like that and I don't plan on it. Why would you ask that?" He asked seriously and she shrugged, "I don't know. I figured you'd get tired of trying to fix this eventually." She mumbled, tracing a pattern into the table, not daring to look at him again.

Her attention was taken from her imaginary drawing by his hand covering hers. She then had no choice but to look into his eyes.

"I don't think you grasp the importance of this for me." He spoke calmly and she didn't dare to move.

"I'm not giving up or planning on giving up. Ever, Jenna. Do you understand me?"

She bit her bottom lip and forced herself to nod. Eric retracted his hand as the waitress appeared and Jenna breathed in deeply. She wished someone would give up. It was becoming harder and harder for her to decide and that made her feel so selfish. She didn't deserve Eric or John.

Eric and her ate with lighter conversation and as they drove back to her house Eric asked the dreadful question.

"So, can I take you out say, on a date now? Like, an offical one?" He asked glancing over at her and she chuckled, "Oh do you not take dates to Pancake World?"

Eric laughed, "Hardly. Only pre-dates there. You know, the date before the date."

"Oh is that so?"

Eric nodded, "Yeah, so what about this weekend?"

"Ok Halvorsen. It better be worth it." She joked and he laughed as they parked and he walked her to the door.

"It will be. I promise."

"Thanks for breakfast."

"Thanks for the company."

She grinned and hugged him instantly. Eric kissed her cheek before letting go of her. He had a hard time doing that though every time she hugged him. He missed her terribly. The way she slept against him at night. Her random, sweet text throughout the day, kissing her. He missed it more and more each day and yet he was just happy to be in her presence as of now. He had to constantly remind himself this would work out. If it didn't, he didn't know what he would do. His life had revolved around her for so long he didn't know how to function without her.

"I'll text you the time."

"Ok. Bye."

"We never say goodbye, Jen." He whispered brushing her cheek gently, "I'll see you soon."

She couldn't find her voice as he kissed her forehead and headed to his car. Her stomach was now filled with butterflies and she didn't understand how such simple actions could do that. She forced herself inside and shut the door with a sigh right as her phone beeped in her pocket.

She groaned and fell ont the couch as she clicked on the text,

'In case you're wondering, this interview is boring. In lighter news, I cannot stop thinking of you... xx'

She sighed as she read over John's text again and again, trying to find an answer somewhere but coming up short. She finally replied with something witty and made her way back to her bed. It was the only time she wasn't stressed. The next time she woke up it was to someone gently shaking her. She cracked her eyes open to see John of course.

"Mhm?"

John chuckled as he brushed back her hair, "Why are you asleep at 3 in the afternoon?"

"Nothing else to do."

He nodded as he laid beside her and she cuddled into his side.

"Have fun?" She asked shutting her eyes again.

"Hell no. It was horrible. Pretty certain the girl spent 3/4th of the time hitting on Kennedy."

Jenna giggled, "Well, he is sexy. What can he say?"

"Right..." John stated, "So, hungry?"

"No, I ate my weight in pancakes this morning." She grumbled and he chuckled, "Where did you go?"

"Pancake World."

"By yourself?"

"No, Eric popped up at my house and we went."

"Oh..."

"Oh, you wish I hadn't told you that."

John frowned, "It isn't like that, Jenna. You can hang out with whom ever you want."

She raised up to look at him and he tried not to show emotion on his face.

"I'm tired, I think I'm just going to go home and crash." He finally said and she didn't move from him.

"John..."

"What?"

"You're mad." She said watching him as he slid from the bed.

"Just tell me one thing Jenna, and maybe it shouldn't matter to me, but do you let him act towards you the way you let me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you let him kiss you and do the things I do?"

She bit her lip as she shook her head no.

"Do you mean that?"

"I'm not going to lie about it..."

John sighed, running his hand through his hair, "So, there's some part of you that actually likes me?"

"John, you make it sound like you're hard to like. Yeah, there is."

"I just, well, ok." He grumbled not sure what to do or say at this point.

Jenna grinned weakly, "Anything else?"

"No, I guess not...I'm just confused is all."

"About what?"

John shrugged not wanting to sound any more stupid then he did at the moment.

"Are you still leaving?" She asked and he slowly made his way back to the bed.

"So you're not leaving?" She asked and he shook his head as he fell back onto the bed.

She chuckled, "Little dramatic wasn't it?"

"Shush." He grumbled causing her to smile, "Maybe you should stop holding everything in..."

"Its hard not to when I don't know where we stand, Jen."

She sighed, brushing his messy hair from his forehead.

"I'm sorry..."

"I thought I told you to stop apologizing?"

A frown hit her lips and he brought his hand to her cheek, "Look, you like me. That's enough for me. No rush, ok?"

She nodded and he raised up, kissing her cheek gently.

"Still want to grab dinner?"

"Thought you weren't hungry."

"I'm not, but I'll go with you."

"Staying with me tonight?" He asked softly and she nodded once more although her mind immediately went to Eric.

"Then yes, let's go grab something and head to my place. I don't really feel like being around tons of people."

"Ok." She whispered and he pulled her from the bed before linking their hands.

All John could think about was how maybe he did actually have a chance and all Jenna could think about was Eric. She couldn't help but wonder if things would ever make sense again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Maybe Eric is starting to get to her. ;)

Thanks for commenting;
Mell118 (I'll start now writing that into the story! Haha)
Frankieraepain
WetheCATHLYN
Everdeen (but let's be real here, how mad would you be if after all these chapters she became a lesbian? Haha.)
Sammy_Wessen
:)