Too Close for Comfort

One.

Tonight was Jazzie’s Sweet 16, which meant one thing, I got to see Dougie. We’ve known each other our whole lives and his family is like my second family. So you would think I would have no problem talking to him, right? Wrong. Whenever I was around him my stomach was in knots and I couldn’t find words to speak. There was something about him that left me tongue tied.

I looked at myself in the mirror; hair curled, makeup done and a short black dress with silver heels. Lucy, you can do this, keep your cool. I took a deep breath and my dad honked, he and my brother were already in the car. I grabbed my bag and hurried out the door.
We walked in and immediately went over to where the other family friends were. We lived in different towns, which meant different schools so I don’t know most of the people here. They were mostly all Jazzie’s age, which was two years younger than Dougie and I. Then I spotted him walking over.
"Hey Luc." I felt my face turning red, good thing it was dark in here.
"Hey, what’s up? Long time, no see."
"Same old, same old. What about you?"
"Nothing exciting." I shrugged, watching him study my face. "Do you wanna get a drink?"
"Sure, they’re over here." I followed him to the bar and sat at a stool as he ordered two Shirley Temples, my favorite.
"How do you know that’s what I wanted?" He looked at me with a smile.
"Every time I’ve been out to eat with you, that’s what you got. I kinda figured it was your favorite." I bit my lip, trying to hold back a smile. He handed me the cup and we walked back over. "You wanna sit next to me?"
"Sure." Of course I do. I sat down next to where his stuff was set up.
"What? You’re not gonna dance? Come on girl!" Jazzie came over, I’ve never seen her having so much fun. I got up and followed her out onto the dance floor.
I danced with some of her girl friends for a little bit until some guys started dancing with us. Not long after, Dougie came over and grabbed my hand, pulling me away to dance with him, alone.
"I thought you’d stay away from the dance floor?"
"It was getting kind of boring sitting alone since someone ditched me…" He winked at me, causing me to laugh.
"You weren’t being any fun." He shot me a look and I smiled back.
"I’ll show you fun."