Status: Updates as often as possible. Check out the offical Tumblr for more infos : wwwbytheriversedgefic.tumblr.com

Meet Me by the River's Edge

Chapter 18 or " Booze, cake, hot guys in suits "

" Pouring over photographs.
I'm living in your letters.
Breathe deeply from this envelope
it smells like you and I can't be
without that scent. It's filling me
with all you mean to me.
Continually failing these trials
but you stand by me nonetheless
and you won't let me sink "


The snow started softly falling as Jack placed a blanket on the ground and sat down pulling me next to him.

" What are you doing here ? " I asked, seriously confused. What about his family ? His sibling ? How did he know I was here ?

" Well I was planning to surprise you and when you weren't at home I asked Clover where you went and she told me. So I drove home got some things and now here I am, to cross some more things of the list. " as he said it he put some candles around us and then placed a beautiful bouquet of flowers on Mattie's grave.

" There's number 2 : Introduce me to a boy you like.
Now I don't know if you like me but I like you quite a lot so getting to know your sister is the least I can do. And what better way than to spend Christmas eve with her ? " Jack asked and got out some plastic containers with mac and cheese.

" That's all I can cook really, sorry about that "

" No I love mac & cheese that's okay " I said and we both ate quietly. He had placed two thick blankets around us to keep us warm but we still ended up cuddling after the mac & cheese were devoured.

" Tell me something about her " Jack said quietly, pulling me closer to share our body warmth further.

" She was the most amazing person ever. She had shining blue eyes. Much prettier than mine, they were ice blue but not the intimidating kind, the kind that intrigues you and makes you wonder. Her hair used to be a shade of strawberry blonde but she lost it when the chemo began. She was still beautiful though. Her eyes never lost their spark. And she was sassy I tell you. She didn't take shit from anyone and she was so good with words. Once she made a grown football player cry with just a few perfectly placed words. She was smart, one of the best students in her year in high school. She was offered a scholarship for Brown University but due to ... due to the cancer she couldn't go. I was so proud of her and I believe she would be very successful in whatever she would do now. Maybe she'd have a husband too or kids, she was so good with kids. Mattie was all I ever had an I miss her every day. Her banana pancakes and her prep talks when I had to do a presentation in school. I miss her hugs and the raspberry scent of her hair. I just want her to be proud of me Jack "

Jack placed a tender kiss on my head. " She would be proud Shortie. Look at you. You're such a beautiful young woman, you have a job that you're good at and that you actually enjoy. "

His voice showed not even a hint of a lie or mockery. He was being honest and true with me.

" You think so ? "

" I know so "

I have to admit his words got to me. I wanted to desperately believe in them.

" Jack ... why aren't you with your family ? I mean if I had loving parents and siblings waiting for me I wouldn't sit with a damaged girl that's crying over her sister on Christmas eve "

Jack shook his head and chuckled.

" I told you I was gonna fight. And what kind of person would that make me if I let you be alone on Christmas. Alsooo I have a question for you. I talked to my family and ... they would be happy if you'd join us for Christmas tomorrow "

Me ? Family Christmas ? Meeting parents ?

" I've never met any guy's parents before Jack. Are you sure you want that to happen ? What if I accidently bring your mom chocolate with something she's allergic to, or scratch your dads car or what if I accidently run over the family cat ? "

Jack only laughed at me, which irritated me quite a bit. Did he think this was some kind of joke ? It was not, definitely not.

" Why are you laughing ? It's not funny ... like at all. "

" Yes it is. My mom loves chocolate ... any kid. She's not allergic. Dad's car is in the garage and I don't see a reason to go there so no way for you to scratch the car ... and we don't have a cat. There you go. No reason to be nervous "

...god I was still more than nervous.

" ... what if they don't like me ? "

" Why wouldn't they like you ? "

" I'm not really the meeting the parents type you know ? And I mean ... we're not even a couple so. I don't know things could be awkward. "

" Things wont be awkward Shortie, just go with it. Please, pretty pretty please ? "

He gave me the puppy eyes. And NO ONE can resist the Barakat puppy eyes.

I took a deep breath before letting it flow out again creating a big cloud in the icy air around us.

" Okay yeah "

" Yes ? "

" Yes Jack "

" Amazing " he said and hugged me very tight. So tight I was sure I was going to break.

" Do you want your presents now ? I have 4 " he asked and my eyes were about to pop out my head.

" 4 ? I've only got 2 for you. Jack I don't want you to spend so much money on me "

He just shook his head and told me to shut it.

" 4 and a half actually and I spend as much money on you as I want. I just want to make you smile. Also only 3 of those presents actually did cost me something "

Now it was time for me to shake my head in disbelieve. This guy. Alright if he wants to waste his money on me, fine.

" Alright hand them over "

" How about I give you 2 now and two tomorrow ? " he suggested while pinching my sides.

" That's fine I guess. You'll get yours tomorrow though. Okay ? "

" Yeah that's fine "

He stood up and walked towards his car getting two gifts out of the trunk.

1 was square, about the size of a book but much thinner and the other one was rather small. I had no idea what either of those could be.

" Okay this first " he said and handed me the bigger one.

" It didn't cost me anything " he announced proudly with a cute little smirk on his face.

Carefully I unwrapped the package and when my eyes fell on the gift a wide smile made it's way on my lips.

" Jack this is wonderful. Aww we look like two weird psychos but it's amazing. Thank you soo much "
He had the picture framed that was taken that night we went to prom in Tulsa. We looked like two fish out of water but I was never happier than I was that night.

" You like it ? " Jack asked sheepishly.

" I love it "

" Good " he nodded and handed me the other box.

This time I thought 'fuck it' and carelessly ripped the wrapping paper off.

The little square box inside wasn't labeled and as I opened it I was rather surprised, positively.

" Wow Jack this is really pretty. " I took out the gorgeous necklace that had a big round pendant dangling from it with Jack Skellington on the front.

" Open it " Jack instructed me. Alright.

I did as he said and on the inside it read : " My dearest friend, if you don't mind. I'd like to join you by your side. " Which was a line from 'The Nightmare before Christmas'.

" Nightmare was the first movie we talked about and ... You're my Sally & I'm your Jack " MY Jack chimed up.

" It's absolutely wonderful "

" I'm glad you like it Shortie "

For a moment we just stared into each other's eyes, like they held the answer to all questions ever asked. For a moment I didn't want to be anywhere else but here. For a moment everything seemed to stop around us.

This could be MY more-than-a-moment-moment. Take that John Steinbeck. I got it!

I leaned up and lightly kissed his lips. It was a mere brush, but it was enough for now. Enough to show him how much it actually meant to me, how much HE meant to me.

" Come on Shorty let's get you home into the warmth ... and you need to be relaxed for tomorrow. We can be quite a handful " Jack smiled and held his hand out for me after he got up.

We both got in his car and decided to come here tomorrow after the dinner at his parents and get my car.

Image

" Sooo... am I doing a good job ? " Jack asked as we stood in front of my door.

" At what ? "

" At ... at making you forgive me for being an ass ? "

" I think you're on the right path so far "

Jack's granted me his goofy million dollar smile.

" That's good "

A comfortable silence spread upon us before he softly placed his hand of my cheek.

" Shorty...theres another thing you can cross of the list " his warm breath met my cold skin, making the hairs in the back of my neck stand up.

" And what is that ? " I asked curiously while my heart was beating to the limit.

He nudged his head upwards and his eyes looked up with mine following suit. Dangling from Jack's free hand above my head was a little green mistletoe.

" Kiss someone under a mistletoe " Jack whispered huskily before he connected out lips in a sweet tender kiss. He tasted like sugar from the coke he had been drinking before.

" You taste like sugar " I confessed after we broke the kiss hesitantly.

" You taste like bubblegum "

" Could be worse I guess "

" Could be worse "

Image

" They're gonna hate me "

" No they wont "

" They will I can feel it. They'll think I look slutty and hate me "

" Geez Billie " Jack groaned and stopped suddenly and grabbed my shoulders.

" You look gorgeous,you hair is beautiful, you face is cute as ever, I love that shirt, the color of the blazer makes your dazzling eyes pop out, and god this skirt ... your legs are sex " Jack charmed me ending it all with a pinch in my butt that made me shriek a little.

I took another deep breath and nodded at Jack to signal him I was ready. He rang the doorbell and my pulse quickened.

As the door swung open a woman with the biggest smile in existence of smiles opened.

" Hey mom " Jack greeted her.

Okay here we go.

Image

" He actually did that ? "

" Oh yes dear, all the time "

" Hah that's adorable though. You were an adorable kid Jacky "

" Yeah yeah sure, moooom stop embarrassing me. It's not funny "

To say Jack's family was awesome would be an understatement. Jack's family was the epitome of epic. His mom was a firecracker, she was so sassy and witty there wasn't a moment where she didn't find something to make me smile. But she was also incredibly loving and caring and I could definitely see how much her kids meant to her. His dad was rather quite but super nice and he made sure I was comfortable all throughout dinner. His sister was not only incredibly gorgeous but also probably the most fun person to be around. She was so warm hearted and sweet and from the first second we locked eyes we both knew we were gonna be friends. Her sense of humor was just weirdly compatible with mine. His brother was quite too, he reminded me of Zack. Maybe he was shy, I don't know but he was still very sweet to me.

And the best thing : They all loved to tease Jack and made sure to embarrass him in front of me by telling funny anecdotes from his childhood and showing me cute baby pictures.

" How about we open presents now ? " Jack stood up trying to get our attention away from the pictures and towards the presents.

" Sounds good to me " his sister said and we all agreed gathering around the tree.

It took me a moment to realize but this was the first ever real family Christmas I was allowed to be part of. And that made me both, terribly sad and incredibly happy.

Image

" Okay Shorty now my last two and a half presents " Jack announced and handed me a square flat box. " This one first "

I lifted the lid of the box and was greeted by some sparkling fabric. My hands pulled it out of the box and It turned out to be a stunning golden dress .

It was long and beige and golden and sparkled like thousands and thousands of little stars. It could've been right out of a Gatsby party.

" Jack how much did you pay for this it's ... it's so pretty " I asked, completely shocked by this gift.

" Don't worry about it and eh ... you told me about the wedding. Clover's brother's wedding that you're invited to. Well...you told me you didn't have a dress so I thought this one would do just perfect. I bought it in Cincinnati while I was walking aimlessly around town ... while you were in hospital. "

He kept it THAT long ?

" Wow ... thank .... thank you Jack. Thank you so much "

" That's fine. Now you just need some charming company huh ? " he accompanied his words with a cheeky wink.

" We'll see, maybe I'll get myself one of the groomsmen. Or ... Hey May would you like to come ? We can pick up hot boys in suits together then " I played along throwing my arm around Jack's sister who was sitting besides me.

" Oh yeah I'm in. You can always count me in when there's booze, cake, hot guys in suits and a reason to dress fancy. I'm in all the way ... but maybe you should make that decision after he gave you the last gift. That one is a good one so ... might want to reconsider your choice. " May responded with a laugh.

" It's good huh ? " I asked joked and mockingly stroked my chin." Then give it to me Jack "

Jack gasped in mocked shock " Not in front of my parents Billie, seriously get yourself together "

I'm pretty sure I blushed then.

" I didn't mean it like that "

" Sure you didn't " again Jack laughed and then handed me the last present. Well actually two, because there were two envelopes and, as I was told, they belonged together. I was instructed to open the long plain white one first, which I did.

" Disneyland ? You're taking me to Disneyland ? " I asked astounded, shocked ... excited.

Jack nodded and I turned my attention back to the tickets. I looked at them ' 3 days ' flights to California AND a stay at the Disneyland Hotel. For me and Jack and ... wait there were three tickets ?! Why ?

" 3 tickets ? Are we taking Matt ? "

Everyone around me started to laugh and I was left clueless until Jack handed me the second envelope. It was bright blue and had my name written on the back in messy writing. Could be either Jack's or that of a small child.

I opened it and out slid a letter.

" Dear Anabelle,
You have no idea how weird it is when you open the door and there is a guy asking you if it's okay to take your daughter to Disneyland. I do have an idea. Because that is exactly what happened.

Jack was paying us a visit a few weeks back, he was asking to talk to us about a present for you.
After a little chit chat that made us believe him he was not a psycho killer, we decided to listen to his proposal.

He asked if it was okay to take Georgie with you guys to Disneyland for 3 days. To be honest I was hesitant, she's so fragile and small and I don't know this guy. But just as I was about to decline, the girl in question came bolting down the stairs and started actively chatting and plappering to Jack. The two hit it right off and she almost shed a few tears when Jack told her he had to leave.

But he left with a promise to take her and you to Disneyland.

As much as I will be worried, I know that you will keep her save. So if you're in, and Jack is in fact not a weirdo, please give me a call right after you read this letter, and we can sort it all out.

We hope you have a wonderful Christmas, maybe come around for new year ?

We all love and miss you very much Anabelle. Stay save and merry Christmas.

xx Amy, Dave and Georgie. "
it read

- I love you Billie - was signed at the end in the same messy handwriting as on the back of the envelope. Definitely Georgie's work.

Unnoticed to me, little tears rolled down my cheeks. Good tears though. Tears of joy.

" We're taking Georgie ? "

Jack nodded and brushed my tears away with his thumb.

" Yup we're taking Georgie "

" How do you even know where to find her ? "

" That's for me to know. Just remember that I DO listen, even when you think I don't. I DO and I care for what you're talking about. "

I couldn't believe he actually did that. Amy and Dave were pretty strict with Georgie. Not the bad kind of strict but the overprotective kind of strict. And Jack fucking Barakat got them to agree on us taking Georgie to Disneyland. I was speechless.

So instead of saying anything, I kissed him.

I kissed him in front of his parents and siblings ... and the dogs.

And it was sweet and tender and as cheesy as it sounds, it was magical.

" Thank you so much " I ... cried. Yes I cried. Sorry for being emotional.

" That's the least I can do Shortie "

A cough from the side interrupted our intense eye contact " And you say you're not a couple " his sister mumbled with a grin on her lips.

Image

" Soo.... about the Wedding " I trailed off as Jack and I were walking along the snowy streets to get my car that was still parked before the cemetery.

" Yeah ? " he held my hand tightly in his to make sure it wasn't too cold, well that is what he said but come on, he totally wanted to hold hands the cutie.

" Would you like to be my plus 1 ? " It seemed so far away all this time but now that I was thinking about it it wasn't too long until the wedding would be held.

" That's probably the least romantic way you could've asked. Seriously Billie " he scolded me in mock anger.

" Sorry Jacky baby, I meant : Dearest Jack would you do me the honor of being my date for the wedding I am invited to ? "

Jack bowed down and placed a soft peck on my lips " Yes "

We walked in silence for a little while longer until we reached my car.

" I'll see you tomorrow morning. Fresh and happy and we're gonna meet Georgie at the airport and then fly to California together. " Jack said and pulled me closer by my waist.

I had called Amy earlier and talked to her about it. It was all sorted out and they would fly out to Baltimore tonight and meet us at the airport tomorrow morning from where Georgie would then fly with me and Jack to Disneyland. I couldn't be more excited.

" Thank you so much Jack, for everything "

" I love you Shortie "

I wanted to say it back. Hell I said it before but this was ... different. It lay heavy on my heart but the words didn't find their way out.

So instead the geek in me took the lead.

" I know "

Jack only giggled and shook his head in amusement.

" I'll pick you up tomorrow, bye babe " he placed a last kiss on my lips and walked back towards his car.

As he was out of sight I was still in a state of shock. Not in a negative way but shocked nontheless.

And as Clover wasn't here I needed someone else to talk to.

Quickly I walked towards Mattie's grave. I wanted to share my feelings with her, she deserved that, I
deserved that.

As I approached it, the candles from last night were still there, so were the Flowers Jack had brought .... but there was something else.

A letter.

I didn't know who placed it here or who it was meant for but this was my sister's grave so I had to make sure it wasn't some crap.

" Dear Mattie,
I know my friends would probably make fun of me for writing this. Hell, even I make fun of me for writing this. But you know I'm not informed on ways to talk to people ... in your situation. I don't even know what I believe in to be honest. But I do believe that you are there in one way or another.

I'm not writing you to talk about me though. I want to talk about Anabelle. Your younger sister. She's broken.

She's sad and hit rock bottom without actually admitting it. But she did and she knows deep inside. But you know what ? She picked herself up. All alone. Maybe because she knew that if she was to fall, I would be there and cushion it, or maybe it was just because she thought it was now or never.

I don't know, but she did and I am so proud.

This girl came into my life like a blizzard and messed me up to no extend. But there is no way I'm letting her go.

She's phenomenal, and to a certain extend I blame you for that. Not blame you. I need to thank you for that. I know you guys had it rough, but she made it through, and you were, are and will always be, a great factor in this development.

I'm rambling, sorry.

Anyway uh ... Thank you Mattie. I wish we could've met. So I could thank you in person for shaping such a strong beautiful woman.

Thank you.

I really love your sister and I will make sure to keep her save for as long as she wants me around.

I promise you. Don't be afraid, she's in good hands. In mine, and in her own.

I am so proud of her and I know you would be too.

Love,
Jack "


... I was speechless. This was... I don't even know. I never thought this was something Jack would do. I never thought he would be so considerate and caring.

And for about the 200th time this day I started crying. What a wimp I turned into. This time I was both, sad and happy and the same time.

Just as I was about to leave, my eyes fell on another object that hadn't been there before.

A picture.

Just a printed picture, no frame or anything.

I picked it up and smiled. I remembered the scene on the photo so vividly.

My mom was standing there with a big smile on her lips and flour all over her face. She had me draped on her hip, I was maybe 4 or 5. I granted the camera a grin that showed my missing teeth while I proudly held up a Christmas cookie in the shape of a Christmas tree. My face was just as flour covered as moms. Mattie was sitting on the counter next to us with goofy expression sticking out her tongue to the camera. She was wearing a little apron and mom's baking gloves and was also covered in flour.

That was the first time we made Christmas cookies. Mattie and I had the idea. That day mom came home earlier from work ... she got fired, that's what we found out later that day. She was sad and we could see. So we decided to make cookies for Christmas, because sweet things make everyone happy right ? Those were easy times were a cookie could cure every problem in an instance.

After a while mom came to the kitchen and was very close to screaming at us because honestly you can probably imagine what our kitchen looked like with two kids not oldeer than 7 and bags of flour and sugar and ... eggs.

Mom picked me up and wanted to scold us as Mattie ripped open the bag of flour and it exploded all over us and covered us in a dusty cloud of the baking substance.

But guess what ? Instead of being angry, Mom laughed, she actually laughed. Nolan's dad came around and found that scene and that's how the photo was taken.

Shaking out of my flashback I turned to picture and in elegant handwriting it said.

" I will always love you. You are forever in my heart. Both of you. Love always, and merry Christmas, Mom "

To this day, I had no idea mom even knew where Mattie was buried, let alone she was visiting her grave.

My mind drifted to a point on Mattie's list.

3. Make peace with mom.

Well, I might have to pay her a visit after Disney.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit HERE .

Thank you all so much for subscribing and commenting and aww you guys are the best.

Special thanks to Cellophane Soldier for being super dooper sweet in your comment :P

More Clover and Alex soon & Disneyland whoo.

Until then, hope you have a good week.

♥ Jo