On the Other Side

Just a Distraction

Jordan Brewster looked down at his math test and sighed. Another failing grade to bring home to his parents. They already hated him enough, this was just another thing to add on to their list of reasons they hate their only child. "Hey Brewer," a voice from behind him began. Jordan turned around to see Mick Hartfield, the quarterback of the football team at Farlind Highschool. Farlind was known for being the most athletic school in the district. They won nearly every championship possible and the school was full of amazing athletes. "What do you want Mick?" Mick grinned and looked over Jordan's shoulder. "Another fail, huh? That's too bad, I wonder what your daddy will say to you this time." Jordan glared at him with narrowed eyes and clenched his teeth. "Shutup Hartfield," growled Jordan under his breath as he turned around to face the front of the class.

As Jordan walked down the hall, his eyes locked on his friend Brian, a lanky boy with mousy brown hair and stormy grey eyes. "Hey man," Jordan said and offered Brian a small smile and nudged him in the shoulder. Brian, in his usually soft voice replied "What'd you get on your math test? I got a 95." Jordan lost his smile and sighed. "64," he said quietly enough so that only Brian could hear. Brian nodded and patted Jordan's back. "It'll be okay man, trust me." Jordan frowned as he nodded, and quickly left Brian to be standing all alone in the middle of the hallway as he made his way to last period.

Last period was literature, by far Jordan's favorite class. As Mr. Hansart made people read aloud to the class, Jordan became absolutely lost in the book, taking in every word as if it was air. When his turn came to read, he pronounced each word correctly without a single mistake. The teacher asked him to read on, surprised by his talent. Jordan was still reading when the bell rang and all the students rushed out of the classroom. Jordan stayed behind and read every sentence with awe. He got up and left after he had fished the chapter. He was soon outside and waiting for the bus.