Status: In progress!

Home Is in Your Arms

Beautiful Ending

A knock on my door wakes me from my slumber. I had been up most of the night because of the nightmares that haunted me when I did fall asleep. I had finally just gotten some peace about an hour ago and was falling into a deep sleep when the knock sounded.

"Come in." I grumble, then bury my face in my pillow.

The door opens and Peeta's head pops in. I peek out with one eye to see him smiling at me.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" he asks.

"You did," I reply. "But you're a much better wake-up call than Effie."

Peeta chuckles at my statement.

"You can come in, you know." I say, sitting up. Peeta enters and sits on my bed. I notice he's eyeing me up. "What are you looking at?" I question.

"Your hair is everywhere." he states with a smile.

I gasp and stare at him, acting offended.

"It... It took me all night to get it to look like this." I whimper. Pouting, I make my eyes watery and Peeta's smile falls.

"I'm sorry..." he mumbles, confused. "Did I offend you?"

I stare at him a moment longer, making him feel uncomfortable.

"Are you kidding?" I say finally, getting up from the bed. I open the closet door. "My hair is messy because I didn't sleep well last night." Poking my head out of the closet, I look at Peeta to see that he's wearing a burgundy tunic.

"Why didn't you sleep well?" he asks.

The question makes me tense, but everyone knows the victors don't really come home as the same person they were before they left.

"I get nightmares." I say simply. "Because of my Games." A dress on one of the racks catches my eye.

"What are they about?" Peeta questions.

"Things."

There's silence from the bed. Peeta knows I don't want to talk about it just yet.

"Turn around." I say. "I need to get into the bathroom."

Peeta does as he's told and I hurry in, partially closing the door behind me.

"Haymitch knows about us." I yell from the bathroom. "It's definite."

"What?!" Peeta exclaims. "How do you know?"

"He confronted me last night."

"What did he say?"

"He said it needs to stop. So I told him there's nothing happening and that it's none of his business anyway." I say. "Oh, and that if he makes it his business, I'll kill him."

From the bed Peeta chuckles. Regardless of my threat to Haymitch, I do feel worried. What happens if someone important finds out? What will happen to me and Peeta? What if Peeta dies in the arena?

I step out of the bathroom, in a dress the same color as Peeta's tunic. It's tight, accentuating my curves in all the right places. It only has one long sleeve that comes to a point at the back of my right hand. My hair has been brushed and is straight, and my makeup is smoky. The silver tattoo around my eye matches well. Peeta smiles and stands when he sees me.

"Do you think it's wrong?" I ask.

"Your outfit? Don't be ridiculous." he responds.

"I'm not talking about my outfit, Peeta! I'm taking about this!" I say, gesturing between us.

"Well we're not together." he begins. "I haven't even had the chance to kiss you yet." Peeta takes my chin in his thumb and forefinger and raises my head. My eyes meet him and he gives me a soft smile. "The only person who suspects anything is Haymitch. To everyone else, you're just my mentor. Let's have them keep thinking that. And when we're alone, we can be whatever we want to be."

Peeta brushes my hair over my shoulder with his free hand His words make me feel warm inside. They make me feel wanted, something I haven't felt in a long time. Still, the biggest problem looms over us, like a thick cloud full of cold rain and lightning.

"What about the Games?" I choke out, tears welling in my eyes. "When you leave, is that it? The end of whatever we want to be? If not, what if you don't come back?"

Peeta sighs and releases me, running his hands down his face. He looks away, knowing there's no solid, honest answer he can give me. A single tear falls down my cheek and he brushes it away with his thumb.

"The only thing I can tell you about that is that I'll try. I'll fight my hardest to make it home. And if that happens we won't have to hide anymore."

I smile up at Peeta. My heart pounds in my chest and I can feel my cheeks heating up. My stomach feels fluttery and like it's tying itself into knots.

"You'll fight for me?" I whisper.

"You're the only thing worth coming home to." he responds.

Then without warning Peeta leans in and smashes his lips into mine. The kiss is passionate, full of promise and need. As our lips and tongues dance together he brings his hands up to cup my face and I place my hands atop his arms as if to pull closer. Peeta tastes like lemon and spearmint and I'm afraid that if I let go of him I'll fall over because of how week my knees are.

Unfortunately he does pull away, and it's too soon for my liking. I do manage to keep myself upright, however. Peeta smiles at me, his breathing slightly labored. I take his left hand on my cheek and tilt my head to kiss it.

"Let's get some breakfast before there's none left for us." I say softly. Peeta chuckles but obliges.

On our way down the hall, we catch up with Haymitch. He says good morning but nothing else is added. Good. He must have taken my threat seriously.

Katniss is already at the table with a plate of food when we enter. We each bid her good morning then help ourselves to food. Breakfast is eaten in silence; no doubt everyone's minds are elsewhere. After Haymitch and I finish, he takes a long swig from his flask then speaks.

"So, let's get down to business." he says. "Training. First off, if you like, Freya and I'll coach you separately. Decide now."

"Why would you coach us separately?" Katniss asks.

"Say if you had a secret skill you might not want the other to know about." I say. Katniss and Peeta exchange looks.

"I don't have any secret skills." Peeta says. "And I already know what yours is, right? I mean, I've eaten enough of your squirrels."

I already know Katniss is good with a bow and some arrows. It's not exactly a secret to some people in District 12. Especially the Hob.

"You can coach us together." Katniss tells us. Peeta nods in agreement.

"All right, so give us some idea of what you can do." Haymitch says.

"I can't do anything." Peeta says. "Unless you count baking bread."

"Sorry, I don't.' Haymitch says. I roll my eyes at his statement. "Katniss. I already know you're handy with a knife."

"Not really. But I can hunt." she replies. "With a bow and arrow."

"And you're good?" Haymitch asks.

Katniss seems to be thinking about her answer. I glance at Haymitch, who returns it, and I nod at him. He acknowledges it and looks back to Katniss.

"I'm all right." she finally says.

"She's excellent." Peeta cuts in. "My father buys her squirrels. He always comments on how the arrows never pierce the body. She hits every one in the eye. It's the same with the rabbits she sells the butcher. She can even bring down deer."

Peeta's assessment catches me by surprise. I turn my attention to him, my eyes narrowing slightly. Apparently he's paid more attention to Katniss than I thought he did. He doesn't notice me staring.

"What are you doing?" Katniss asks him with suspicion in her voice. She must be surprised as well.

"What are you doing? If they're going to help you, they have to know what you're capable of. Don't underrate yourself." Peeta says.

"What about you? I've seen you in the market. You can lift hundred-pound bags of flour." Katniss snaps. I barely hear her though, because Peeta's statement has made me angry. "Tell them that. That's not nothing."

"Yes, and I'm sure the arena will be full of bags of flour for me to chuck at people. It's not like being able to use a weapon. You know it isn't." he retorts.

These two bickering over who's good at what is beginning to get on my nerves. I look to Haymitch and drop my face into my hands.

"He can wrestle." Katniss tells us. "He came in second in our school competition last year, only after his brother."

"What use is that? How many times have you seen someone wrestle someone to death?" Peeta says in disgust.

"There's always hand-to-hand combat. All you need is to come up with a knife, and you'll at least stand a chance. If I get jumped, I'm dead!" Katniss's voice rises the more she speaks. I try to ignore it for the sake of my nerves.

"But you don't! You'll be living up in some tree eating raw squirrels and picking off people with arrows. You know what my mother said to me when she came to say good-bye, as if to cheer me up, she says maybe District Twelve will finally have a winner. Then I realized, she didn't mean me, she meant you!" Peeta bursts.

Lifting my head, I look from under my eyelashes at Peeta. I'm shocked because I didn't think he would tell anyone about that. I didn't even bring it up because I thought it would be a tender topic.

"Oh, she meant you." Katniss says dismissively.

"She said, 'She's a survivor, that one.' She is." Peeta replies bitterly.

He feels my stare, I know it, but his eyes purposely avoid mine. Instead, the pain in those orbs is directed at Katniss. She sees it, too.

"But only because someone helped me." she says childishly. Not the kind of childish one would have during a temper tantrum, though. The kind of childish that's soft, small, and insecure.

Peeta's eyes turn to the roll Katniss is holding. Both her and I stare at him, appearing to be lost in thought. He must be remembering something that happened between the two of them. Then he shrugs.

"People will help you in the arena. They'll be tripping over each other to sponsor you." he says.

"No more than you." Katniss replies.

Peeta rolls his eyes at Haymitch.

"She has no idea. The effect she can have." He fiddles with the table, not looking at anyone now.

What is he talking about? Why is he saying things like that? I'm confused and angry, because Peeta's words come off like he meant something more than just what he said. I want to get up and leave, but I stay where I'm at because Haymitch and I haven't actually talked to them about training yet.

"Well, then. Well, well, well." Haymitch finally says. "Katniss, there's no guarantee there'll be bows and arrows in the arena, but during your private session with the Gamemakers, show them what you can do. Until then, stay clear of archery. Are you any good at trapping?"

"I know a few basic snares." she mutters.

"That may be significant in terms of food." he replies. "And, Peeta, she's right, never underestimate strength in the arena. Very often, physical power tilts the advantage to a player. In the Training Center, they will have weights, but don't reveal how much you can lift in front of the other tributes. The plan's the same for both of you. You go to group training. Spend the time trying to learn something you don't know. Throw a spear. Swing a mace. Learn to tie a decent knot. Save showing what you're best at until your private sessions. Are we clear?"

Peeta and Katniss nod. My eyes meet Peeta's for a brief second, but I look away quickly, not wanting to look at him at the moment.

"One last thing. In public, I want you by each other's side every minute." Haymitch says.

What?!

Peeta and Katniss start to object, but I'm seeing red. I'm out of my seat so fast that nobody even sees the movement.

"Haymitch, that is NOT necessary!" I shout. Peeta and Katniss look at me, shock clear on their faces. Haymitch slams his hand on the table.

"Every minute! It's not open for discussion!" he shouts at both me and the tributes. Then he looks to Peeta and Katniss. "You agreed to do as I said! You will be together, you will appear amiable to each other. Now get out. Meet Effie at the elevator at ten for training."

Katniss bites her lip and stalks back to her room, slamming the door behind her. I remain fixed to my position, breathing heavily and gripping a knife that was on the table. Peeta looks at me but I don't look back. I know he's looking at the knife but I don't let go.

"Why?" I ask Haymitch through gritted teeth. He shoots me a glare.

"Shut up, Freya!" he snarls back.

In a split second my knife is lodged deeply into the table. I stare Haymitch in the eye, hard. Peeta is clearly alarmed by the situation but doesn't say or do anything. That's a smart move on his part.

"No Haymitch, you shut up!" My words are laced with venom. "What you are setting them up for is absolutely absurd! You want them to stick together until when? When they're forced to kill each other in the arena?! That idea is downright stupid!"

"What you've got going on in your little brain, this thought that you and blondie are attracted to each other, that's what's stupid. Tell me, sweetheart. What will happen when he gets shipped back to District Twelve in a box?"

Haymitch slams his hands onto the table for emphasis. The more he speaks the louder his voice gets. In a flash I rip the knife from the table and lunge at him. Just as quickly he grabs one in defense. It all happens so fast that Peeta doesn't have time to process it.

Haymitch and I have our blades at each other's throats. If he presses his any harder he'll draw blood, but I've already drawn the liquid from him. A small line trickles down his throat.

"I told you what would happen if you made that your business." I hiss. "Bring it up again and I promise you, it will happen."

Haymitch and I stare each other down for a few more seconds then I throw the knife to the ground It hits the plush carpet with a soft thud. Suddenly I turn and make my way to the elevator. Haymitch straightens himself out and snickers.

"Just looking out for you." he says bitterly. I laugh a loud sarcastic laugh.

"Right." I reply.

Peeta, now realizing he has muscles and a voice, comes after me.

"Where are you going?" he asks. I step into the elevator then turn to face him.

"To talk to your potential sponsors." I reply. I press the button to the ground floor.

"Are you alright?"

Peeta's question rubs me the wrong way. He didn't think of my feelings when he said that Katniss didn't know the effect she could have.

"Why don't you go worry about how Katniss is doing?" I say coldly.

Then the doors close and I leave Peeta there, looking shocked and confused.
♠ ♠ ♠
Helloooooo readers!

I'm sorry it took me longer than usual to update. I've been running around like a headless chicken recently. Too stressed! But here's chapter five! And look! Finally some lovey-doveyness between Peeta and Freya!

Also, a big thank you to everyone who gave me some love in the form of a comment, and thank you to my 12 subscribers! I promise I'll update soon!

The title of the chapter is "Beautiful Ending" by Barlow Girl.

As always, comments/recs/subscribers are lovely!