When A Stranger Calls

Chapter 13

Monday 24th December 2007 – 5:30pm

Well fall for him I did; hook, line and sinker. I had to keep questioning myself why I was behaving this way; why am I in love with the one man who had wanted to kill me just days before? I don’t know what had come over me, but I was enjoying being with Gerard and as much as I told myself that this was crazy, I couldn’t say that it didn’t feel amazing.

On the account of it being Christmas Eve, Gerard had decided we should have a nice quiet evening in. He’d been banging and clattering in the kitchen for an hour. I could hear his exasperated cursing as each pan and pot fell from the kitchen cabinet. I quietly giggled to myself as I lounged on the sofa, watching the flames dancing in the ornamental fire place.

I’d just started to dose; it must have been the relaxation of staring into the fire. I felt my head loll back and really drifted off. I woke up when I felt the sofa dip to the left hand side of me. I yawned and rubbed my eyes and looked at Gerard who was just sitting there staring at me.

“Lucy?” he questioned meekly, “I’m obviously not a demon in the kitchen, so what say we get take out?”

“Awww, and I was so looking forward to sampling your culinary delights Gerard.” I mocked in reply.

“Look, stop taking the piss yeah; take out or not to take out, that is the question.”

“Jeez, go on then, take out it is.” I sighed.

I passed him the wireless phone hand set and nodded for him to phone. He dialled my local Thai restaurant. After about twenty minutes of trying to be understood by the lady on the other end of the line, he managed to order our meal. Apparently, it was cheaper if he actually went and collected it and finding out that Gerard was a bit of a skin-flint over the last couple of days, he popped his black converses on and his black hoodie.

“Right I’m off,” he said matter-of-factly, “Why don’t you pop open a bottle of red wine and let it breathe while I play hunter-gatherer?”

“Your wish is my command Gee.” With that he threw his hood over his shiny black hair and left the house.

I shuffled into the kitchen and found out a bottle of Australian Merlot, grabbed a corkscrew from the cutlery draw and popped the cork. I wanted so much to have a small glass now, but in agreement with Gerard, decided to let it breathe. I picked up a box of matches from the sideboard and proceeded to the living room and lit the huge array of candles that I had scattered around earlier on.

I finally sat back on the sofa and busied myself with lounging again when I suddenly had a brainwave; I hadn’t spoken to Sarah. Shit, I’d barely even thought about her. I mentally scolded myself for my insensitivity; how could I have not even called her to let her know I was fine. In all honesty, I couldn’t wait to see her again. No matter what is happening with Gerard and me, it will never, ever get in the way of my friendship with Sarah. All these thoughts were running through my head, so I decided to give her a call. She was number one on speed dial. It rang for what seemed like forever.

“Hi, sorry I can’t get to the phone; please leave your message after the tone.” It always made me laugh how much this rhymed.

“Hey hun,” I replied to the request, “Look, I suddenly realised that I hadn’t got in touch with you, so here I am. I’m so sorry sugar; please forgive me. Just to let you know that actually, Gerard and I are getting on really well. You know, it’s really strange, but it feels like we were always meant to be together. Please don’t be mad at me. I’m enjoying myself and am happy; I hope that makes you happy too? Look, when you get this message, give me a ring back. I really do miss you; you’ll always be my BFF and roomie, no matter what, ok? Phone me hun; you knows it makes sense!”

I hung up the phone and slumped back again on the sofa. I know there’s nothing abnormal in phoning her only to have speak to a voicemail, but even so, I looked up to the ceiling and actually prayed for the first time in a very long time, “God, please let her be ok; please look after her.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the delay in updating again guys, but more problems with Nan, so I've been a little pre-occupied with stuff and shit.

My band practices with Soul'd Out are going great guns and we now have our first two gigs, so that's great news. I've also been gettiing right back into my geetar again, so I'm really busy with lots of things at the moment.

Thanks, as always for your patience. You all mean such a lot.