Sequel: Painting Flowers

Never Look Back

Open Doors & Open Flames

"Fuck!" I hissed through clenched teeth as I mistakenly took another wrong turn. I turned around and went straight instead of right. I was almost there but as I got into town my sense of direction went down the drain. I took a deep breath in an attempt to calm my nerves and gripped the leathered steering wheel tighter with my sweaty palms. Why did I ever decide to do this? This is stupid; I haven't seen them since Christmas, nine months ago. They aren't going to want me in their house, just barging in like I am.
I shook my head to try to rid myself of the thoughts and turned the music up. I turned left on Cambridge St. and could see the olive green house down the road. I parked next to the curb in front of the house and barely had time to turn my car off before a dark haired boy came barreling full force at me.
"Alyssa! You're here! ALYSSA!" He slapped his hands against the passenger side windows and grinned at me with wide eyes like I was a puppy that he wanted in the window. I opened the door of my black 2011 Mercedes and was blasted with sticky and humid late August air. Immediately the boy rounded the front of my car and practically tackled me.
"Alyssa! I can't believe you're here!"
"You're crushing my body Jack," I responded and he quickly released, allowing me to take my first full breath of air.
"Sorry! I just get excited sometimes, need some help with your bags?" I nodded and opened up the trunk to revealed eight matching leather bags.
"Whoa...that's a lot of stuff," Jack said.
He picked up two large wheeled bags and two smaller ones and I carried the rest. He was practically wheezing by the time we made it up the driveway and into the house. He took me down the hall to what was going to be my room.
"Here we are, nothing much but dad said you can do whatever you want to it," Jack said as he laid my stuff down in the doorway. "I'm going to go....ice my arms, let me know if you need anything." I nodded and looked around the room. It was painted an off white color with dark accents. There was a queen sized bed in the corner with plain black sheets and a bedside table next to it and a sliding door with a closet behind it across from it. The room was pretty simple but I loved it.
I moved some stuff into my closet space but quickly got bored and shoved the rest, still in their bags, behind the door to deal with later. I walked out to the living room to see Jack watching some crime movie. The living room was a dark brownish green color with two brown leather couches and a white-gray shaggy carpet.
"Dad's at work at the hospital and can't be back till nine," Jack said, his eyes remaining on the television. I nodded, though I knew he wasn't looking at me for an answer. "Wanna watch Criminal Minds with me?" He asked and I shook my head this time. I had forgotten that Patrick also worked at the hospital as a resident.
"I gotta finish unpacking," I lied and he shrugged.
Jack and I were twins; he came out three minutes before me though. We both inherited our father's black hair but after that we traded on genes. I got mom's freckles; he got dad's smooth skin. I got dad's hazel eyes; he got mom's brown ones. I got mom's nose, he got dads. Our parents were together since we were four when they got a divorce. I lived with mom, he lived with dad and we never saw each other except on Christmas. Now, we are both 18 years old and on our last year of high school. The reason why I'm even here is because my mother, Michelle Charlene Edwards, died in a car crash caused by a woman who ran a red light because she didn't put her phone down.
I had the option of just staying in Pittsburgh and finishing out high school but I couldn't afford to live by myself so I decided to move in with Jack and my…dad.
Back in my room, I got on my laptop and looked at all my old friends that didn't care about me anymore and didn't care where I was or if I was dead. They were the same as usual. I sighed and shut my computer screen and heard the door open and shut followed by what sounded like 10 guys yelling and screaming and laughing. Thinking it was maybe Patrick and some friends, I walked out to the living room.
I was surprised to find three boys with Jack sitting on the couch watching a football game.
"Oh hey guys! This is my little sister Alyssa, she's staying with us now," all of their eyes turned to me, looking me up and down. The one on Jack's right was a boy with shaggy brown hair, brown eyes and a scruffy face. Next to him was an incredibly muscular boy with short brown hair and on Jack's left was a boy with brown hair with blonde highlights and big brown eyes.
"I didn't know you had a sister, Jack," the one on Jack's right said.
"Well she didn't live with us at first but she is now!" Jack pointed to the muscular one on the way right. "That's Zack Merrick, next to Zack is Rian Dawson and on my left, this dick right here is Alex Gaskarth." Alex grinned sardonically at me. I gave them an awkward wave before retreating into the kitchen to pretend I came out here for a reason.
"She's hot," one whispered.
"I swear to God Alex if you touch her I will rip your balls off," I heard Jack threatened.
"How come I've never met her?" Alex asked.
"Because our parents divorced and I only saw her on Christmas," I heard Alex swear after he heard this.
"I'm serious Alex, I'll kill you," Jack warned.
"You and Alyssa? Alex, that's bogus," I heard either Zack or Rian say.
"Fine whatever, I won't touch her but if she comes on to me and wants me, I'm not saying no."
"Alright that's fine because Alyssa's not like all the other girls you have sex with, she's actually got a brain and doesn't go for man-whore assholes like you," Jack said, making me stifle a giggle. I heard all of the guys laughed at Alex too and I sneaked past the living room back into my room, pretending as if I didn't hear a thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you think!