Sequel: Painting Flowers

Never Look Back

First Impressions Are Everything

I exhaled slowly as we climbed the steps to Curley High School and looked around at all the other students in front and behind us. I got a couple of awkward glances and gazes shot my way. I followed closely behind Jack and Alex when we entered through what I assumed was the main doors.
I followed Alex to our first class, which we had together, that was all the way on the third floor. He got a bunch of hellos, hugs and jokes in on our way, I awkwardly waited behind him. Only one person seemed to notice me.
“Hey man who’s this?” He asked, his eyes shifting to me.
Alex turned to me,”Oh this is Alyssa, Jack’s little sister, she’s a senior and just moved here this year.” He looked from me to Alex with kind eyes. “Alyssa, this is Matt Flyzik, also a senior.” We both flashed our smiles.
“Nice to meet you Alyssa, I can see the resemblance.”
I laughed, “I get that all the time and it’s nice to meet you too.” Alex and Matt talked for a little bit longer before they split ways and we finally made it to Creative Writing. I got assigned a seat next to Alex since he was the only person I knew and that was the only open desk.
I slid into my seat and looked at all the posters about ‘keeping an open mind’ and ‘write what you feel,’ as poorly dressed students pooled into the class. I couldn’t believe how God awful these people dressed; they would be dead if they went to my school. Some were wearing bondage jeans; others wore oversized t-shirts and sweatpants things I would never wear to school or in public EVER. At the sound of the bell, Alex quickly slid into his seat.
“Alright welcome welcome. I’d like to start off by introducing our new student who will be joining us for the rest of the year.” I could feel the blood rushing to my face and my heart beat loudly in my chest as I realized she was talking about me. “Alyssa, would you like to stand so everyone can see you?” I slowly rose and twenty faces turned to stare at me.
“Alyssa is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and was honored enough to go to Octavian Holmes Day School,” right as she said that someone snorted.
“You lost Princess?” Someone cracked and everyone laughed; even Alex. I tried to ignore the jab and quickly sat back down. Mrs. Hurley started to pass out the black notebooks to everyone and instructed us to use them at any time for anything.
“There is no limit to writing, you just must write something, anything. Every writing you do is due every Monday and can be shared only through volunteering. This will be worth about 50% of your grade.” She leaned against the front of her old wooden desk as everyone flipped through the notebooks. “The first turn-in is next Monday, go crazy.”
~~
By lunch I had found I had two classes with Alex, one with Jack and one with Rian. Jack was in my Chemistry class before lunch (he actually was my lab partner which was a horrible idea) and walked me to their lunch table.
“How’s your first day so far Lyssa?” Jack asked and I shrugged, it was nothing great. Every class I went into I was judged for going to Octavian Holmes. Everyone said they were all stuck up bitches and assumed I was one too.
“Fine.”
Alex and Rian joined us at our lunch table and about seven girls stopped by to talk to Alex. They all glared at me and rolled their eyes when we were introduced. I couldn’t take it and left to get a muffin across the cafeteria. As I stood in line a girl about 5’ 4’’ with dark brown hair, a bright pink headband, yellow tights and turtle earrings approached me and bombarded me with questions.
“So you’re new here? I heard your brother is Jack is that true? What’s it like sitting with THE Alex Gaskarth? Where are you from?”
“Whoa what, what did you say?” I asked.
“Where are you from?” She said looking completely confused.
“No, no before that, about Alex?”
“I asked what it was like sitting with him, he’s super popular, he never allows girls to sit at his table.”
“Why?” I asked.
“I don’t know but a girl has never sat there like ever!” She exclaimed. I looked back over at the table and Alex was talking to a group of girls while Jack and Rian were playing paper football. That explained all the glares and gazes my way. I bought my muffin and made my way back to our table.
When the bell rang to signal that lunch was over I sighed as I knew my next period would be the same as the others. I was right and I smiled happily when it was finally my open period and I could go home. The only problem was, I came here with Alex and Jack and I couldn’t just leave in their car. As I thought about my options, Matt, whom I met earlier today, came up behind me.
“Hey Alyssa, what’s your next period. Maybe I could walk you there…help you find it.”
“I have this period opened but I don’t have any way to get home since I came here with Alex and Jack so I will just have to go to Study Hall or something.”
“I have this period opened too, I could give you a ride home if you want,” he suggested and I accepted. Putting together all my things, I text Jack and met Matt in the foyer.
“Ready?” He asked. I nodded and followed him out to his 2009 silver Honda Accord. I climbed into the passenger seat and he silently drove me home with occasional conversation about Jack, Alex, Patrick, the band and school. He soon pulled up in my driveway and opened the door for me, causing me to blush a little, a nervous habit of mine.
“Thank you for taking me home,” I said and he smiled.
“Anytime, do you want me to take you home every day?”
“If you’re up to it,” I said and he chuckled.
“I’m more than willing,” he said and winked. I smiled as he got back in his car and drove off, leaving me to think.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long to post! Busy week but I hope you like it