I Knew You Were Trouble When You Walked In

Chapter Twenty-Four.

"Come on, Zahli," Isabelle laughed, stopping halfway up Leland's driveway. Zahli slowly lugged her pink, polka-dot suitcase. "Do you want mama to carry it?"

Zahli shook her head with force, "No."

Isabelle sighed, resting her own black suitcase on the coloured cement, keeping an eye pinned on her independent child. The front door opened with a creak, causing Zahli's head to shoot up to see who it was. Isabelle's own gaze travelled to the door, expecting to see Leland. Instead Dakota stepped out; his black curly hair tied into a bun at the back of his head, wearing a singlet and some running shorts.

"Hey Zee," he smiled, before turning to Isabelle, "Hey, I don't think dad realised you were coming so soon. He's in the gym, but I can carry your bag for you?"

Shaking her head softly, Isabelle smiled, "I'm right and little miss over there," she indicated in Zahli's direction with her thumb, "wants to carry it all by herself. Thank you though."

Dakota nodded, getting ready to put his earphones into his ears, when Zahli piped up, "Mama, can Kota carry my bag?"

He laughed, taking the bag from Zahli. She took his spare hand in hers and they walked into the house together. Isabelle felt her heart swell. Zahli had gone from having only her mother, to having an instant, and huge, family and it had made her little girl so happy. Isabelle picked up her own bag and followed her daughter into the house.

"I'm guessing you're staying in dad's room," Dakota glanced over his shoulder at Isabelle, who blushed slightly, glimpsing down at her fingers as they fumbled with her sweater sleeves. "His bedroom is the last one at the end of that hall," he nodded towards the hallway.

Thanking him, Isabelle dragged her suitcase down the white tiles of the hallway. She settled it in the corner of Leland's bedroom, stepping towards the wide window that made visible the aqua pool, fitted with a slippery slide for Leiah, and the green lawn that was encased by a large brick, rendered fence. Resting her head against the cool, blue bedroom wall, she sighed. His house was much better and bigger than her tiny home. Zahli would love sharing a room with Leiah, and it wouldn't be so much movement between the houses when all three of Leland's kids stayed at his place. But her house was her home. It was were she had raised Zahli practically on her own, it was where her and Leland had created many memories in such a short time. What if this relationship didn't work out? How would she afford another place when she needed to leave Leland's? Isabelle shut her eyes, shaking her head slightly. She didn't need to be thinking that way.

She stepped away from the window, turning around to face a sweaty and red-faced Leland in the doorway.

"Hey babe," he grinned, moving towards her while using a small, white towel to wipe the sweat from his forehead, "I thought you were coming later. Sorry I didn't come out and get your bags."

"Dakota grabbed them for us," Isabelle smiled, placing her hand on Leland's chest to prevent him hugging her. "You're all sweaty."

He laughed, "Come and have a shower with me."

"I just had one," she giggled, kissing him carefully to avoid his sweaty face.

Leland grabbed her wrist from his chest, pulling her close to him and wrapping his arms around her tightly. She squealed slightly, looking up into his brown eyes in horror.

"Now you need another one." A cheeky grin spread across his face, as he kissed her once more.

"You're terrible," she laughed, before shuddering slightly, "Gross, you've sweated all over me." She kissed him before resting her face against his damp shoulder, smiling as he placed gentle pecks on her temple and cheek. A contented smile escaped her; this sort of affection was extremely uncommon in her previous relationship. Leland smiled at her, content to remain where he stood, his arms wrapped around her waist, his lips pressed tenderly against her temple.

A small rap at the door broke apart the two.

"Dad, Lynette's here." Dakota stood at the door, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

Leland nodded, chuckling slightly at the way Dakota averted their gaze. He glanced over at Isabelle, motioning his head towards the hallway, "Did you want to come and meet Lynette?"

A faint nod came from Isabelle, as Leland took her hand and led her towards the large lounge-room. Isabelle noticed Leiah, sitting beside Zahli on the floor. A colouring book sat between them with some pencils, which were used to scribble ferociously across the page. Lynette sat facing the girls, her long, black hair falling off her bronzed shoulders. Intimidation began to creep into Isabelle's psyche as Lynette turned to face her, but she instantly put Isabelle at ease with her warm nature.

"You've got such a beautiful little girl," Lynette smiled, glancing back towards her daughter and Zahli. "I know Leiah is so excited to have another little girl to play with at her daddy's house."

"All our family is in Chicago, so Zahli loves having someone to play with," Isabelle replied, taking a seat opposite Lynette. Zahli and Leiah were babbling about all the things they were going to get up to during the weekend. Isabelle made out 'the beach' and 'the park', but the rest got lost in translation. She glanced up at Leland who was grabbing Leiah's bags from the entrance. He gave her a small, reassuring smile, before heading down the hallway.

Isabelle and Lynette engaged in small talk, until Leland returned. Lynette told him a few things that had happened to Leiah over the past two weeks; she'd had the flu and had some antibiotics in her bag if it flared up again and that her daycare was holding a show, where Leiah would be front and centre, singing and dancing. As there conversation ended, she turned back to Isabelle, "It was really nice to meet you. Your name seems to be all I hear lately, from Leiah and Leland."

This caused Isabelle to blush slightly, glancing over at Leiah who was watching intently with wide, brown eyes. She gave Leiah a smile, before turning back to Lynette, "It was nice to finally put a face to the name."

She lent down, opening her arms for Leiah to embrace her tightly. She brushed her hair out of Leiah's eyes, kissing her nose delicately. They said their goodbyes to each other, before Lynette stood up, "If you ever want to get Zahli out of the house, get Leland to give me a call."

Isabelle smiled at her hospitable nature, thanking her before she left. Leland stood behind Isabelle, wrapping his arms around her torso. He kissed the back of her head.

"Thank you for being so nice," he whispered, causing the delicate hairs on the base of her skull to stand up.

"I was expecting a monster," Isabelle laughed, turning around to face Leland's cheeky grin, "Aren't all exes supposed to be horrible?"

Leland kissed her forehead, "Thank god mine aren't. I think Tim pretty much maxed out our quota for shit exes." He paused, noting the small frown appear on Isabelle's face at the mention of her ex. "Now, weren't we heading for a shower?"

-------------------------------------------------------

The cell phone vibrating against the hard, wooden night stands caused Isabelle to stir softly. She peeked over her shoulder, noting Leland's muscular frame sleeping soundly. Isabelle quietly slid out of bed, grabbing her cell and making her way down the silent hallway before escaping out into the warm, summer air.

"Hello?" She rasped, clearing her throat and placing a white cigarette in between her lips.

"Hey sweetheart." Her mother. Isabelle pulled the phone from her ear, glancing down at the time.

"Mom, it's like five in the morning. Is everything okay?"

Her mom chuckled slightly, "Sorry honey, I've just gotten home from work. Thought you might be up with Zahli."

"Nah, that's the beauty of her growing up. The sleep ins," Isabelle laughed, taking a deep drag of her cigarette.

"Speaking of growing up, do you think you'll be coming back anytime soon? I'd love to see you both." Her mom hesitated. Isabelle could tell she had been thinking about asking that question for a while, just had to figure out the right way to word it.

Isabelle sighed, running a hand through her messy hair, "I have to start looking for a job soon. With Tim gone, I can put Zahli in day-care without worrying if she'll be there when I get back. I've got a little bit left in savings. It might be enough to get us there and back."

"You know your father and I are happy to put some money towards it."

"I know mom," Isabelle smiled.

Her mom paused for a moment, "Isabelle, this guy that you're dating. You said his name was Leland?"

"Yeah."

"It's not that guy on the TV, is it? Dad says that's him, but I said it couldn't possibly be h-"

Isabelle cut her mom off, feeling frustrated at her mother's sudden interest in her love life, "Yeah mom, that's him."

"Oh. It's just the tattoos and long hair, and the language he uses," her mother continued to speak, however Isabelle turned to face Leland as he groggily stepped out the back. He kissed the top of her head, before grabbing his own cigarettes.

"Mom, I got to go. I'll call you when I've organised for Zahli and I to come over." She rolled her eyes towards Leland, "Yes mom, love you too."

Clicking the phone, she placed it down on the table, grabbing another cigarette. Leland raised an eyebrow, "You just had one?"

"That woman drives me mad, sometimes."

"When are you heading over there?" He asked, slumping into a deck chair beside her.

Shrugging her shoulders, Isabelle lifted her legs and rested them on his lap, "Soonish, I guess. She hasn't seen Zahli in ages, and I should probably go before I start working again." Leland nodded, rubbing her legs tenderly. "Do you think you could come?"

His brown eyes darted towards her, a smile playing on his lips, "Yeah, I'd like that."

"Me too," Isabelle smiled, leaning forward to kiss him. Breaking away from the kiss, Isabelle remained close to him, studying his face. She bit her own lip, as he grinned, closing the gap between them.

"Mommy? I'm hungry."

The pair turned to face the two little girls standing in the doorway. They looked so cute with their messy, sleep hair and half-open eyes. Leland chuckled, "You guys are so cute."

"And hungry," Leiah said, propping her hand on her hip.

Isabelle couldn't help but snort, standing up and walking closer to the girls, "I'll make you guys something. What do you feel like?"

"Pancakes!" Zahli squealed, grabbing her mom's hand and swinging it excitedly. Leiah watched the two, before grabbing Isabelle's other hand and mimicking Zahli's moves.

Isabelle peeked over her shoulder, smiling at Leland's cheeky grin, "Do you want pancakes too?"

Nodding, he watched as she stepped into the house, clung to by their two hungry daughters. He sighed, leaning back into his deck chair and closing his eyes for a moment. His mind kicked into overdrive as he remembered the night Isabelle had told him she loved him. What he wouldn't give for her to say it again. All he wanted to do was tell her just how hard he was falling for her.